iOS 6 / iOS 6.1 Untethered Jailbreak For iPhone 5 / iPhone 4S Is Ready, Confirms Pod2G

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
iOS 6 / iOS 6.1 Untethered Jailbreak For iPhone 5 / iPhone 4S Is Ready, Confi...

Thanks mate. Yes I do plan on keeping the Jailbreak. When I click on the Restore button, everything is as it should be and as you describe. I''m just in the process of downloading the update via iTunes now. I clicked the 'Download Only' button at this time. I want to make sure that I am not gimping myself for the future by just installing the update via iTunes instead of via the iDownloadblog.com link

tres, I have version 11.0.1 of iTunes, which the 'Check for Updates' section in the help menu suggests is the latest version.

Downloading through iTunes can never hurt you. It's just a lot slower is all.

TorrieB

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: iOS 6 / iOS 6.1 Untethered Jailbreak For iPhone 5 / iPhone 4S Is Ready, Confi...

JB noob here! I didn't realize that my 4s would download OTA without me prompting so....my phone has the downloaded update but I have yet to install. Can I still do an untethered JB or do I have to change something?

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
iOS 6 / iOS 6.1 Untethered Jailbreak For iPhone 5 / iPhone 4S Is Ready, Confi...

JB noob here! I didn't realize that my 4s would download OTA without me prompting so....my phone has the downloaded update but I have yet to install. Can I still do an untethered JB or do I have to change something?

How you install 6.1 will not affect the jailbreak. It may affect your downgrade status down the road. If you haven't installed 6.1 yet, I recommend doing it through iTunes using the restore feature.

TorrieB

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: iOS 6 / iOS 6.1 Untethered Jailbreak For iPhone 5 / iPhone 4S Is Ready, Confi...

How you install 6.1 will not affect the jailbreak. It may affect your downgrade status down the road. If you haven't installed 6.1 yet, I recommend doing it through iTunes using the restore feature.

Thanks!!! I was so worried lol.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site

Connected phone to iTunes and clicked Restore. Now the phone has the 'cable > iTunes' logo and after the iTunes went through 'Preparing the iPhone for restore' it throws up the error "the iphone could not be restored. an unknown error occurred."

Now the phone is sitting at the cable>iTunes logo and itunes says 'Itunes has detected a phone in recovery mode (etc)' however, when I try to restore it, I get into a circle as above.

Help!

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site

Connected phone to iTunes and clicked Restore. Now the phone has the 'cable > iTunes' logo and after the iTunes went through 'Preparing the iPhone for restore' it throws up the error "the iphone could not be restored. an unknown error occurred."

Now the phone is sitting at the cable>iTunes logo and itunes says 'Itunes has detected a phone in recovery mode (etc)' however, when I try to restore it, I get into a circle as above.

Help!

Try putting your phone in dfu mode. Here's a link to show you: http://youtube.com/watch?v=34v8HMC9B98

Then hit restore in iTunes.

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site

Help!

Don't worry dude, just a hiccup.
Make sure your using your original factory iphone sync cable.
Make sure you are using the back USB ports, if on a pc.
Sometimes you just need to restart to get all of the apple services and drivers running on your pc again.
Have you done anything with tiny umbrella? Or your hosts files? (this would usually be intentional, sonic you don't think, then probably not)
Sometimes apples servers are just busy?
Try again!
Just for clarification, what phone? Windows or Mac?
What iOS do you currently have

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site

Try putting your phone in dfu mode. Here's a link to show you: How To Put Your iPhone/iPod/iPad Into DFU Mode - YouTube

Then hit restore in iTunes.

Thanks, the phone won't shut off. When I hold down the power button, the screen goes off. no matter how long I hold the power button for, once I let go, the phone immediately springs back into life, shows the Apple logo for a couple of seconds, then straight back to the cable>iTunes logo.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Don't worry dude, just a hiccup.
Make sure your using your original factory iphone sync cable.
Make sure you are using the back USB ports, if on a pc.
Sometimes you just need to restart to get all of the apple services and drivers running on your pc again.
Have you done anything with tiny umbrella? Or your hosts files? (this would usually be intentional, sonic you don't think, then probably not)
Sometimes apples servers are just busy…
Try again!
Just for clarification, what phone? Windows or Mac?
What iOS do you currently have

Thanks 3cit

i'm running Win 7 x64 updated, iPhone 5 International running 6.02. I'm using a genuine Apple cable bought from an Apple store at the same time I bought my phone but I am not sure if this is the one that came in the box, I'll try the other one and i'll also try a rear USB socket too

EDIT: Whilst iTunes says 'preparing the phone for restore' the screen on the phone goes black. Is it supposed to do that?

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm currently on 5.1.1 and jailbroke on my 4S.

What steps are involved in upgrading to 6.1 since I am jailbroke already?

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm currently on 5.1.1 and jailbroke on my 4S.

What steps are involved in upgrading to 6.1 since I am jailbroke already?

Just plug into iTunes, backup, restore as new to get you 6.1, restore from
Backup to get your phone back the way it was before, minus jailbreak tweaks

Thanks 3cit

i'm running Win 7 x64 updated, iPhone 5 International running 6.02. I'm using a genuine Apple cable bought from an Apple store at the same time I bought my phone but I am not sure if this is the one that came in the box, I'll try the other one and i'll also try a rear USB socket too

EDIT: Whilst iTunes says 'preparing the phone for restore' the screen on the phone goes black. Is it supposed to do that?

Definitely try the ack USB ports.
Also even though your phone is rebooting itself it's possible to get into dfu mode.
1. Plug phone in
2. Power phone down,
3. Even while it immediately restarts itself, hold down power for 3 seconds, then WHILE STILL HOLDING DOWN POWER, hold the home button for ten seconds, then RELEASE POWER BIT NOT HOME BUTTON, keep pressing home for an additional 15 seconds. Your screen will then definitely turn black, but backlit and you will
Be in dfu mode

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Definitely try the ack USB ports.
Also even though your phone is rebooting itself it's possible to get into dfu mode.
1. Plug phone in
2. Power phone down,
3. Even while it immediately restarts itself, hold down power for 3 seconds, then WHILE STILL HOLDING DOWN POWER, hold the home button for ten seconds, then RELEASE POWER BIT NOT HOME BUTTON, keep pressing home for an additional 15 seconds. Your screen will then definitely turn black, but backlit and you will
Be in dfu mode

Thanks 3cit. It's not working still, let me detail what I am doing in case i'm doing something wrong

1) Using different cable, rear USB socket and after reboot of computer
2) Phone is in 'Connect to iTunes' mode. Cable is connected and the phone makes the 'connected to windows' sound thereby establishing that the computer can see the phone (you know what I mean)
3) I hold down power and home to turn phone off. Nothing happens at all until I let go of the power button. I don't get the 'slide to power off' at all, just the following
4) the phone immediately starts rebooting whether I like it or not
5) I press power and home for ten seconds, during which time the screen goes black (not backlit black, just black) and the phone makes the 'disconnect' sound. I let go of the power button after ten seconds and keep holding the home button, during which time the 'connect to itunes' logo may or may not show and the phone does and sometimes doesn't 'disconnect' from my computer.

During the restore, the phone goes black and makes the 'disconnect from computer' sound and does not re-connect.

I've tried every cable in every USB socket now and I still get the same error.

I'm afraid I can't explain it any better than that and I realise my ramblings may not be making any sense to anyone, for which I apologise.

I am trying http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1808 too

My phone is now sat with a completely black screen, has just disconnected and reconnected to iTunes and iTunes says 'Preparing Phone for restore'. It normally sits at this screen for about four minutes before throwing up the error as above with 1602 or 1604.

I have determined that error 1604 is a USB cable/socket problem, which I have tried with each one of the sixteen different USB sockets on my computer and two different genuine Apple cables. Error 1602 is in relation to antivirus software, which I have also disabled for the time being too.

At the end of my tether now. I wish I had just updated as normal through iTunes. Now I think my only recourse is a trip to an Apple store.

iDonev

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks 3cit. It's not working still, let me detail what I am doing in case i'm doing something wrong

1) Using different cable, rear USB socket and after reboot of computer
2) Phone is in 'Connect to iTunes' mode. Cable is connected and the phone makes the 'connected to windows' sound thereby establishing that the computer can see the phone (you know what I mean)
3) I hold down power and home to turn phone off. Nothing happens at all until I let go of the power button. I don't get the 'slide to power off' at all, just the following
4) the phone immediately starts rebooting whether I like it or not
5) I press power and home for ten seconds, during which time the screen goes black (not backlit black, just black) and the phone makes the 'disconnect' sound. I let go of the power button after ten seconds and keep holding the home button, during which time the 'connect to itunes' logo may or may not show and the phone does and sometimes doesn't 'disconnect' from my computer.

During the restore, the phone goes black and makes the 'disconnect from computer' sound and does not re-connect.

I've tried every cable in every USB socket now and I still get the same error.

I'm afraid I can't explain it any better than that and I realise my ramblings may not be making any sense to anyone, for which I apologise.

I am trying iOS: Unable to update or restore too

My phone is now sat with a completely black screen, has just disconnected and reconnected to iTunes and iTunes says 'Preparing Phone for restore'. It normally sits at this screen for about four minutes before throwing up the error as above with 1602 or 1604.

I have determined that error 1604 is a USB cable/socket problem, which I have tried with each one of the sixteen different USB sockets on my computer and two different genuine Apple cables. Error 1602 is in relation to antivirus software, which I have also disabled for the time being too.

At the end of my tether now. I wish I had just updated as normal through iTunes. Now I think my only recourse is a trip to an Apple store.

Having the phone connected to a power supply (be it wall socket or computer) tends to automatically boot up the phone. Try to boot to DFU mode without the phone being plugged. Hold home+power for 15 seconds, release power and hold home for another 10 seconds or so. Then connect to iTunes via USB. Since this will be the 1st time your PC enounters an iDevice in DFU mode it will take a minute or so to recognize the new hardware. iTunes should then pop up saying it's found a device in recovery mode. You should be able to restore from there.
Extra note: if the phone boots up while you're trying to enter DFU mode, you've most likely let go of the power button for a fraction of a second.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Having the phone connected to a power supply (be it wall socket or computer) tends to automatically boot up the phone. Try to boot to DFU mode without the phone being plugged. Hold home+power for 15 seconds, release power and hold home for another 10 seconds or so. Then connect to iTunes via USB. Since this will be the 1st time your PC enounters an iDevice in DFU mode it will take a minute or so to recognize the new hardware. iTunes should then pop up saying it's found a device in recovery mode. You should be able to restore from there.
Extra note: if the phone boots up while you're trying to enter DFU mode, you've most likely let go of the power button for a fraction of a second.

OK, thanks iDonev. removed the cable and the phone can be shut down. I hold the power and home buttons securely for fifteen seconds, during this time the apple logo comes and goes twice before returning to a black screen. I release the power button after fifteen seconds but continue to hold the home button and the screen stays black and not backlit. Connecting it to iTunes at that point and attempting a restore resorts in the same error codes.

If the screen is completely black, does this mean the phone is effectively off, which would explain why the restore won't work?

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
computers are crazy 16 usb ports is TOO DAMN MANY!
i mean seriously

do you have a different computer around?
theres always that option

yes the phone is off if no backlight.

and dont do both at the same time.

just plug p[hone in.
hold power to power it off
slide power off
then hold down power for 3 seconds, then WHILE STILL HOLDING DOWN POWER, hold the home button for ten seconds, then RELEASE POWER BuT NOT HOME BUTTON, keep pressing home for an additional 15 seconds

i dont like the other dfu method, never worked for me count out your mississippis too!!! dont use audi cues, just count the seconds in your head

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
computers are crazy 16 usb ports is TOO DAMN MANY!
i mean seriously

do you have a different computer around?
theres always that option

yes the phone is off if no backlight.

and dont do both at the same time.

just plug p[hone in.
hold power to power it off
slide power off
then hold down power for 3 seconds, then WHILE STILL HOLDING DOWN POWER, hold the home button for ten seconds, then RELEASE POWER BuT NOT HOME BUTTON, keep pressing home for an additional 15 seconds

i dont like the other dfu method, never worked for me count out your mississippis too!!! dont use audi cues, just count the seconds in your head

Thanks 3cit. I agree 16 is a lot, I actually have more, but those are the ones on the computer itself.

I don't get a slide to power off option at all. I either get a completely black screen that isn't backlit, the apple logo or the connect to itunes logo, nothing else at all.

Following exactly what you say above, I just do not get a backlit black screen. I haven't had one all day.

The thing is, if the phone is attached to the computer, I can't power it off, it just immediately reboots. Now I've tried putting it into DFU mode from there and it doesn't work. If the phone isn't connected to a computer then it will power off and when I follow your instructions to the letter (including Mississippis) the screen just turns completely black. I will try one other computer to see if it works. if it doesn't then I completely give up as i'm starting to lose my patience a bit now. I will just take it back to the Apple store and see what they can do and just stick to using stock iOS. A shame, but I just do not want another six hours of sheer headache again.

Thanks to everyone though, you have been very patient with me, a complete idiot who should probably not be let loose anywhere near a jailbreak.

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
i think were getting confused here
the phone has to be off to begin with.
so when attempting to put it into dfu mode, the phone is actually turning on.

so just to be clear that were not missing a step ( i may be missing it as well)

open itunes, plug iphone in.
im assuming that you still have the connect to itunes logo which is why the slide to power off does not show.

so at this point, (plugged in, phone on, connect to itunes logo showing) force reboot the phone, (power and home till it goes black, shuts off)
immediately let go of both buttons, (the phone will attempt to restart itself,) then immediately
hold power (top button) for three seconds, then while still holding that button hold home button (bottom button on face of phone) for ten seconds, then release power button (top button) but continue to hold the home button for an additional 15 seconds. itunes should take it from there
sorry if i sounded like i "dumbed it down" i just want to make sure we are all on same page.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
No no, i'm a complete noob at this so dumbed down is good! :)

Yep, i'm following exactly what you say, open iTunes, plug phone in. Connect to Itunes logo is showing. Press power and home until power off, then let go and immediately press power and home for ten seconds, the let go of power and continue to hold home for a further fifteen seconds.

Apple logo flashes up then goes away, then the phone goes black, makes the connect sounds, then the disconnect sound then the screen stays black but iTunes displays the "phone needs to be restored" popup. At no point at all, all day, has the screen been black backlit. I have followed every piece of advice I can and I would have thought that at least once I would have stumbled on this even by accident, but no, no backlit black at all.

I'm just installing iTunes and downloading the 6.1 update onto another computer and will give that a go.

EDIT: Looking at this guide - http://absinthejailbreak.com/forum/how-to-put-your-iphone-into-dfu-mode/ it would appear that my phone is in DFU mode even though the screen is not backlit perhaps?

Further EDIT: Still doesn't work though. Awaiting download on other computer. Damn these slow broadband speeds...

It looks like during the recovery, the phone turns itself off and that's why the recovery fails.

Last edited:

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
No no, i'm a complete noob at this so dumbed down is good! :)

Yep, i'm following exactly what you say, open iTunes, plug phone in. Connect to Itunes logo is showing. Press power and home until power off, then let go and immediately press power and home for ten seconds, the let go of power and continue to hold home for a further fifteen seconds.

Apple logo flashes up then goes away, then the phone goes black, makes the connect sounds, then the disconnect sound then the screen stays black but iTunes displays the "phone needs to be restored" popup. At no point at all, all day, has the screen been black backlit. I have followed every piece of advice I can and I would have thought that at least once I would have stumbled on this even by accident, but no, no backlit black at all.

I'm just installing iTunes and downloading the 6.1 update onto another computer and will give that a go.

EDIT: Looking at this guide - How To Put Your iPhone Into DFU Mode | General Problems it would appear that my phone is in DFU mode even though the screen is not backlit perhaps?

Further EDIT: Still doesn't work though. Awaiting download on other computer. Damn these slow broadband speeds...

It looks like during the recovery, the phone turns itself off and that's why the recovery fails.

im concerned with that part in red.
i dont like starting off with holding them both. I dont know if it makes any difference at all, but try my 3 seconds power, 10 seconds both, 15 seconds home and see if results differe before youre trip to apple
good luck