iOS 6 / iOS 6.1 Untethered Jailbreak For iPhone 5 / iPhone 4S Is Ready, Confirms Pod2G

SonOfUncleSam

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Sorry for the noob question, but the ISPW file DOES NOT install a jailbreak right? It will be released later on in the week?

Just out of curiosity, what was the purpose of installing the ISPW file and restoring everything?

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Sorry for the noob question, but the ISPW file DOES NOT install a jailbreak right? It will be released later on in the week?

Just out of curiosity, what was the purpose of installing the ISPW file and restoring everything?

Correct, the ipsw is just the iOS file and restoring everything is just to limit the chances of anything going wrong.

Guaco

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Okay so I'm still a little confused by all this restore, downgrade, and re-restore business. I already updated my 4S to 6.1 OTA. My concern is, say I wasn't happy with the JB at some point, could I still go into iTunes and restore the phone out of the JB back to factory? Or is that what the whole point of updating to 6.1 through iTunes is for?

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Okay so I'm still a little confused by all this restore, downgrade, and re-restore business. I already updated my 4S to 6.1 OTA. My concern is, say I wasn't happy with the JB at some point, could I still go into iTunes and restore the phone out of the JB back to factory? Or is that what the whole point of updating to 6.1 through iTunes is for?

yes, you can restore back to factory settings ANY time you wish via iTunes

now jailbreaking again is tricky IF Apple is no longer signing the "jailbreakable" firmware. that is why you would want to save your SHSH blobs (via TinyUmbrella) so you can downgrade your OS and jailbreak again (if needed) even after Apple is no longer signing the desired firmware

keep in mind SHSH blobs are device specific so if you change devices then the process starts all over

AmpedPotato

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
no worries dude, you can still jailbreak, just maybe not downgrade...

you can always restore as new to make sure you have the complete 6.1 firmware saved

So if I don't care about downgrading (I'm already on 6.0.1 OTA) then it should be safe to update to 6.1 OTA?

Guaco

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
yes, you can restore back to factory settings ANY time you wish via iTunes

now jailbreaking again is tricky IF Apple is no longer signing the "jailbreakable" firmware. that is why you would want to save your SHSH blobs (via TinyUmbrella) so you can downgrade your OS and jailbreak again (if needed) even after Apple is no longer signing the desired firmware

keep in mind SHSH blobs are device specific so if you change devices then the process starts all over

I see now! Thanks for the help and clearing things up.

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Re: iOS 6 / iOS 6.1 Untethered Jailbreak For iPhone 5 / iPhone 4S Is Ready, Confi...

So just doing a normal update via iTunes is insufficient? I plugged my iPhone 5 in, did a backup (honestly, the reason I decided to update tethered, just in case), then told iTunes to do the update. When it was done, I followed the prompts on the phone to select the language, etc. I did not manually do a restore.

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
So just doing a normal update via iTunes is insufficient? I plugged my iPhone 5 in, did a backup (honestly, the reason I decided to update tethered, just in case), then told iTunes to do the update. When it was done, I followed the prompts on the phone to select the language, etc. I did not manually do a restore.

The normal update via iTunes should be perfectly fine.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Re: iOS 6 / iOS 6.1 Untethered Jailbreak For iPhone 5 / iPhone 4S Is Ready, Confi...

This thread is great, thank you to all the experienced jailbreakers taking time out to write reasoned responses to all our silly questions that you've probably heard a thousand times before. Lesser forums would have gone ballistic by now and it is THE main reason I signed up here last year as you all seem passionate about your devices and secure enough to impart knowledge to us newbies without resorting to exasperation

I am making those first tentative steps into the unknown world of the Jailbreak and.I can probably speak for others when I say I am a bit nervous when my device cost me so much money, so I want to make sure I do things 100% correctly.

Again, thank you.

iDonev

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I did it normally through iTunes. Did I mess up? I look forward to jailbreak my device.

You'll be able to jailbreak with no problem. Some issues could arise when Apple stops signing the 6.1 firmware and you need to restore. You might be forced to an unjailbreakable (what a word!) firmware.

shampz

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
You'll be able to jailbreak with no problem. Some issues could arise when Apple stops signing the 6.1 firmware and you need to restore. You might be forced to an unjailbreakable (what a word!) firmware.

I hope its not as bad it sounds. Lol. Is there anything i can do now to avoid such a situation. I made a complete backup though before updating.

iDonev

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I hope its not as bad it sounds. Lol. Is there anything i can do now to avoid such a situation. I made a complete backup though before updating.

You can follow my guide from page 1. You might get the full blobs that way - I am not sure. Does anyone else know if doing a full restore at this point will make a difference?

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
You can follow my guide from page 1. You might get the full blobs that way - I am not sure. Does anyone else know if doing a full restore at this point will make a difference?

Wouldn't you get the full blobs from updating through iTunes since it should be downloading the full ipsw for your iPhone?

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
iOS 6 / iOS 6.1 Untethered Jailbreak For iPhone 5 / iPhone 4S Is Ready, Confi...

Wouldn't you get the full blobs from updating through iTunes since it should be downloading the full ipsw for your iPhone?

No, because the ipsw is mixed with the old one, causing the ap tickets to mismatch. That is why a full restore is preferred.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73