Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 133
Like Tree22Likes
  1. #101  
    Highrisedrifter's Avatar

    Posts
    1,682 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,840 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    IOS 8

    Default Re: iOS 6 / iOS 6.1 Untethered Jailbreak For iPhone 5 / iPhone 4S Is Ready, Confirms Pod2G

    Quote Originally Posted by 3cit View Post
    im concerned with that part in red.
    i dont like starting off with holding them both. I dont know if it makes any difference at all, but try my 3 seconds power, 10 seconds both, 15 seconds home and see if results differe before youre trip to apple
    good luck

    OK, gotcha.

    I've just tried it the way you mentioned and within three seconds the apple logo comes and goes and the connect to itunes logo appears. Carrying on and holding both buttons for ten seconds, then releasing the power and continuing to hold the home button results in the "this phone needs to be restored" (or whatever it says exactly) message in iTunes and the phone remaining completely black.

    Doing what you suggest from a completely black screen results in the phone making the disconnect then reconnect sounds but staying completely black. Again, the message in iTunes that says that the phone is in recovery mode and needs to be restored pops up.

    EDIT: Just connected it to the other computer and we'll see what happens. Fingers crossed.
  2. #102  
    Highrisedrifter's Avatar

    Posts
    1,682 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,840 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    IOS 8

    Default Re: iOS 6 / iOS 6.1 Untethered Jailbreak For iPhone 5 / iPhone 4S Is Ready, Confirms Pod2G

    Right, finally got it to work and everything is updated, on 6.1 and restored my apps (well, in the process of restoring). No idea what finally made it work but all of a sudden I got a notification that my computer was installing necessary drivers and bingo, it all went through fine.

    Still, over seven hours of headache but really my heartfelt thanks goes to everyone who has helped me and kept their cool in the face of what must be a complete and utter *****.

    Thank you, as I said much earlier in this thread, the number one reason I registered here rather than elsewhere is that the experienced Jailbreakers seem to be happy to help without gripe. You have all been fab and I will now slink off with my tail very firmly between my legs.
    iDonev and 3cit like this.
  3. #103  
    3cit's Avatar
    iMore Elite

    Posts
    2,725 Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.6

    Default Re: iOS 6 / iOS 6.1 Untethered Jailbreak For iPhone 5 / iPhone 4S Is Ready, Confirms Pod2G

    Quote Originally Posted by Highrisedrifter View Post
    Right, finally got it to work and everything is updated, on 6.1 and restored my apps (well, in the process of restoring). No idea what finally made it work but all of a sudden I got a notification that my computer was installing necessary drivers and bingo, it all went through fine.

    Still, over seven hours of headache but really my heartfelt thanks goes to everyone who has helped me and kept their cool in the face of what must be a complete and utter *****.

    Thank you, as I said much earlier in this thread, the number one reason I registered here rather than elsewhere is that the experienced Jailbreakers seem to be happy to help without gripe. You have all been fab and I will now slink off with my tail very firmly between my legs.
    yeah that time frame when things arent doing well, and your looking at a $700 paperweight, its NO FUN!!!
    ive been there no less than two times within the last year...
    when they first made spire i tried to install a siri port and my phone went into a boot loop and i couldnt get it back for the better part of 6 hours.
    then when i was trying to downgrade to 5.1.1 after ios 6 first dropped, i had a bad bad afternoon, about three hours of crap!
    glad it all worked, and guaranteed that the jailbreak will go smoothly.

    from your last post i can tell you that your phone was probably in dfu mode for a good portion of the day, but for whatever reason the drivers were not installed. usually this happens immediately after the phone is connected to your pc for the first time in that mode, same for restore, and just regular... also itunes should handle this.

    whatever the case though take mental not of the usb cable you used as well as the usb port so that when you use evasi0n it will be just 5 minutes till jailbreak bliss
    Thanked by:
    Highrisedrifter (01-31-2013)
  4. #104  
    Highrisedrifter's Avatar

    Posts
    1,682 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,840 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    IOS 8

    Default Re: iOS 6 / iOS 6.1 Untethered Jailbreak For iPhone 5 / iPhone 4S Is Ready, Confirms Pod2G

    Quote Originally Posted by 3cit View Post
    from your last post i can tell you that your phone was probably in dfu mode for a good portion of the day, but for whatever reason the drivers were not installed. usually this happens immediately after the phone is connected to your pc for the first time in that mode, same for restore, and just regular... also itunes should handle this.

    whatever the case though take mental not of the usb cable you used as well as the usb port so that when you use evasi0n it will be just 5 minutes till jailbreak bliss
    Yes, you could be right there. I wonder what it was that just nudged iTunes into asking for the drivers, when before it had just sat there. I might consider an uninstall and reinstall of ITunes though I think.
  5. #105  
    3cit's Avatar
    iMore Elite

    Posts
    2,725 Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.6

    Default Re: iOS 6 / iOS 6.1 Untethered Jailbreak For iPhone 5 / iPhone 4S Is Ready, Confirms Pod2G

    Quote Originally Posted by Highrisedrifter View Post
    Yes, you could be right there. I wonder what it was that just nudged iTunes into asking for the drivers, when before it had just sat there. I might consider an uninstall and reinstall of ITunes though I think.
    if you bring up your task manager and select processes, youll see about 5-10 different processes at any given time that assist itunes, one of those was probably not functioning properly, but was eventually switched on by itunes exiting and starting...
  6. #106  
    Ipheuria's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    6,844 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,880 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

    Default Re: iOS 6 / iOS 6.1 Untethered Jailbreak For iPhone 5 / iPhone 4S Is Ready, Confi...

    Quote Originally Posted by anygivensunday View Post
    Thanks for clearing that up as well i was completely confused ( new to iphone) i thought since i did update over ota jb-ing was out of question. But i dont care about downgrading to an older os so i think i should be all good?
    I don't know if anyone has responded to you yet because I'm new to the thread and haven't read through it yet. You might not want to downgrade to an old OS but sometimes with JB apps and tweaks your phone will become so un-stable you will need to do a restore to factory iOS. If Apple has patched the vulnerability and released a new iOS version they will have stopped signing 6.1. So when you restore your iPhone to get it stable again the only way for you to become JBen again is to downgrade. This is what saving the blobs will enable if it ever happens.
    can't upgrade via iTunes check this thread http://forum.tipb.com/jailbreak-unlo...ml#post1717460
    ~32GB Space Grey iPhone 5s(Audi)~32GB Space Grey rMini ~ 15" i7 SSD 16GB rMBP(Omega) on Mavericks~
    iPheuria aka The Jailbr3ak kid (soon to be retired)
  7. #107  
    AmpedPotato's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    177 Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.6

    Default Re: iOS 6 / iOS 6.1 Untethered Jailbreak For iPhone 5 / iPhone 4S Is Ready, Confi...

    I originally did an OTA update but have since done a full restore with the 6.1 ipsw (restored from backup as well.) Will I have the blobs I need when the time comes?
  8. #108  
    BLiNK's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    8,280 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,629 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 182

    Default Re: iOS 6 / iOS 6.1 Untethered Jailbreak For iPhone 5 / iPhone 4S Is Ready, Confi...

    Quote Originally Posted by AmpedPotato View Post
    I originally did an OTA update but have since done a full restore with the 6.1 ipsw (restored from backup as well.) Will I have the blobs I need when the time comes?
    go to TinyUmbrella and follow the instructions
  9. #109  
    infty's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    27 Posts
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5.0.1

    Default Re: iOS 6 / iOS 6.1 Untethered Jailbreak For iPhone 5 / iPhone 4S Is Ready, Confi...

    Quote Originally Posted by iDonev View Post
    You almost got it!

    1. Connect iPhone to iTunes via cable.
    2. Do a backup.
    3. Open this site and download the iOS 6.1 firmware for your device.
    4. In iTunes hold the Shift/Option key on your keyboard and hit Restore.
    5. Navigate to the 6.1 firmware you downloaded in step 3.
    6. When the restore is complete you'll be on 6.1. Now restore from the backup you made in step 2 to restore your apps and data.
    I updated via OTA before I realized I shouldn't have done that. Now I'm trying to follow the above steps, but when I'm in step 4. I get the following error: The software required for this iPhone is not installed correctly. Please reinstall iTunes to install the required software.

    I reinstalled iTunes, rebooted both the phone and the computer and the error still keeps appearing.

    Note, I'm holding Shift/Option while I hit "Restore iPhone" since there is no just restore button.

    Any help is appreciated.
  10. #110  
    iDonev's Avatar
    iMore Expert

    Posts
    874 Posts
    Global Posts
    877 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.1

    Default Re: iOS 6 / iOS 6.1 Untethered Jailbreak For iPhone 5 / iPhone 4S Is Ready, Confi...

    Quote Originally Posted by infty View Post
    I updated via OTA before I realized I shouldn't have done that. Now I'm trying to follow the above steps, but when I'm in step 4. I get the following error: The software required for this iPhone is not installed correctly. Please reinstall iTunes to install the required software.

    I reinstalled iTunes, rebooted both the phone and the computer and the error still keeps appearing.

    Note, I'm holding Shift/Option while I hit "Restore iPhone" since there is no just restore button.

    Any help is appreciated.
    What state is your phone in? It is still running iOS, are you in recovery mode (a.k.a. "iTunes logo mode"?) or?...

    Generally I'd recommend you delete all Apple software on your PC (assuming you use a PC). That includes iTunes, Apple Device Support, etc... essentially every program in Add/Remove Programs that has Apple as its vendor.
    Then restart your PC and run a registry cleaner like CCleaner.
    Then download the latest iTunes (11.0.1 I think) directly from Apple - apple.com/itunes
    Install and try the steps again.
    If that doesn't work as well, try a different computer.
    If you have jailbreak woes, you can iMessage me at iDonev@me.com. I'll try to help (provided I have time to spare).
  11. #111  
    JobSteves's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    254 Posts
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts

    Default iOS 6 / iOS 6.1 Untethered Jailbreak For iPhone 5 / iPhone 4S Is Ready, Confirms Pod2G

    Quote Originally Posted by Ipheuria View Post
    I don't know if anyone has responded to you yet because I'm new to the thread and haven't read through it yet. You might not want to downgrade to an old OS but sometimes with JB apps and tweaks your phone will become so un-stable you will need to do a restore to factory iOS. If Apple has patched the vulnerability and released a new iOS version they will have stopped signing 6.1. So when you restore your iPhone to get it stable again the only way for you to become JBen again is to downgrade. This is what saving the blobs will enable if it ever happens.
    Exactly.

    While I'm sure 99% of people won't upgrade by "mistake" what if you need to restore and Apple has released iOS 6.1.X or 6.X or even 7. Then you've screwed yourself out of a jailbreak unless you saved the blobs.


    Lucky I just saved mine 😁 (pardon the dirty *** screen haha)

    iOS 6 / iOS 6.1 Untethered Jailbreak For iPhone 5 / iPhone 4S Is Ready, Confirms Pod2G-imageuploadedbyimore-forums1359726953.371775.jpg
    Ipheuria likes this.
  12. #112  
    Ipheuria's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    6,844 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,880 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

    Default iOS 6 / iOS 6.1 Untethered Jailbreak For iPhone 5 / iPhone 4S Is Ready, Confirms Pod2G

    Quote Originally Posted by infty View Post
    I updated via OTA before I realized I shouldn't have done that. Now I'm trying to follow the above steps, but when I'm in step 4. I get the following error: The software required for this iPhone is not installed correctly. Please reinstall iTunes to install the required software.

    I reinstalled iTunes, rebooted both the phone and the computer and the error still keeps appearing.

    Note, I'm holding Shift/Option while I hit "Restore iPhone" since there is no just restore button.

    Any help is appreciated.
    Did you manually download the ipsw? If you have an iPhone 5 there are two models a428 and a429 so be sure you have the right one. Also when you have trouble upgrading, restoring my advice is to put the device in DFU mode. It's a low level that allows the iOS to be loaded without loading the OS. Just be aware that restoring in this method will wipe your phone clean. So before you do that back it up so once you've reloaded the OS then you can restore from the backup.
    can't upgrade via iTunes check this thread http://forum.tipb.com/jailbreak-unlo...ml#post1717460
    ~32GB Space Grey iPhone 5s(Audi)~32GB Space Grey rMini ~ 15" i7 SSD 16GB rMBP(Omega) on Mavericks~
    iPheuria aka The Jailbr3ak kid (soon to be retired)
  13. #113  
    salscott's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    245 Posts
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts

    Default iOS 6 / iOS 6.1 Untethered Jailbreak For iPhone 5 / iPhone 4S Is Ready, Confirms Pod2G

    Hi all. I've been iphone pure for 3+ years and customization alone is not enough to jb for me. Now, I have telemarketers that are killing me...despite being on the do not call list. I understand there is a great jb app to block targeted numbers. I'm interested. I just updated to 6.1 ota.
    1)how good is this jb call block app?
    2)is there a low risk (of bricking)/low maintenance (untethered) option of jb?

    Thanks
  14. #114  
    Laelipoo's Avatar

    Posts
    1,972 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,517 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.1.2

    Default iOS 6 / iOS 6.1 Untethered Jailbreak For iPhone 5 / iPhone 4S Is Ready, Confi...

    Quote Originally Posted by salscott View Post
    Hi all. I've been iphone pure for 3+ years and customization alone is not enough to jb for me. Now, I have telemarketers that are killing me...despite being on the do not call list. I understand there is a great jb app to block targeted numbers. I'm interested. I just updated to 6.1 ota.
    1)how good is this jb call block app?
    2)is there a low risk (of bricking)/low maintenance (untethered) option of jb?

    Thanks
    It's pretty much impossible to brick an iPhone by jail breaking. Plugging into iTunes and hitting restore will fix almost anything.

    I don't use them but I hear iBlacklist is really good. RingerXPro is another.

    The untethered jailbreak should be out in the next few days.
    iMore Forum Moderator
    iPhone 5s ✲ Macbook Pro running Mavericks 10.9 ✲ Apple TV 2nd Gen ✲ Xbox 360 ✲ Nintendo 3DS ✲ PS3

    ​@laelipoo on Twitter & App.netiMore's 20k Post Challenge
    Ipheuria likes this.
  15. #115  
    salscott's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    245 Posts
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts

    Default iOS 6 / iOS 6.1 Untethered Jailbreak For iPhone 5 / iPhone 4S Is Ready, Confirms Pod2G

    Quote Originally Posted by Laelipoo View Post
    It's pretty much impossible to brick an iPhone by jail breaking. Plugging into iTunes and hitting restore will fix almost anything.

    I don't use them but I hear iBlacklist is really good. RingerXPro is another.

    The untethered jailbreak should be out in the next few days.
    Thanks...since coming over from bb, I've left my brain on keep warm and haven't considered jb...but I'm going insane with the lack of call block from apple and AT&T. I will give it a go as soon as I hear that the pot is right. Happy Friday!
  16. #116  
    Laelipoo's Avatar

    Posts
    1,972 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,517 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.1.2

    Default iOS 6 / iOS 6.1 Untethered Jailbreak For iPhone 5 / iPhone 4S Is Ready, Confi...

    Quote Originally Posted by salscott View Post
    Thanks...since coming over from bb, I've left my brain on keep warm and haven't considered jb...but I'm going insane with the lack of call block from apple and AT&T. I will give it a go as soon as I hear that the pot is right. Happy Friday!
    The most important things are: back up. iCloud iTunes or whatever, back up your stuff. That way if you have to restore, you don't lose anything.

    If you think you messed up something, always try booting into safe mode before you nuke it. To do that, shut off your phone, hold volume up, then turn on your phone. You can then remove anything that is causing issues.

    If you're not sure about something, google or ask first. A lot of common issues are easily preventable.

    And don't do anything shady.
    iMore Forum Moderator
    iPhone 5s ✲ Macbook Pro running Mavericks 10.9 ✲ Apple TV 2nd Gen ✲ Xbox 360 ✲ Nintendo 3DS ✲ PS3

    ​@laelipoo on Twitter & App.netiMore's 20k Post Challenge
    Highrisedrifter likes this.
  17. #117  
    jsntrenkler's Avatar

    Posts
    2,305 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,623 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.0.1

    Default iOS 6 / iOS 6.1 Untethered Jailbreak For iPhone 5 / iPhone 4S Is Ready, Confirms Pod2G

    I can't wait :-)
    jsntrenkler
    Mobile Gear: Retina Macbook Pro 13 / iPad Air / iPhone 5S / Pebble Smartwatch
    Community Rules & Guidelines
  18. #118  
    infty's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    27 Posts
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5.0.1

    Default Re: iOS 6 / iOS 6.1 Untethered Jailbreak For iPhone 5 / iPhone 4S Is Ready, Confi...

    Quote Originally Posted by iDonev View Post
    What state is your phone in? It is still running iOS, are you in recovery mode (a.k.a. "iTunes logo mode"?) or?...

    Generally I'd recommend you delete all Apple software on your PC (assuming you use a PC). That includes iTunes, Apple Device Support, etc... essentially every program in Add/Remove Programs that has Apple as its vendor.
    Then restart your PC and run a registry cleaner like CCleaner.
    Then download the latest iTunes (11.0.1 I think) directly from Apple - apple.com/itunes
    Install and try the steps again.
    If that doesn't work as well, try a different computer.
    I'm running IOS 6.1 and the phone appears to be in normal working mode. I haven't purposely put it in any other mode. I'm running Mountain Lion on a macbook pro.
  19. #119  
    iDonev's Avatar
    iMore Expert

    Posts
    874 Posts
    Global Posts
    877 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.1

    Default Re: iOS 6 / iOS 6.1 Untethered Jailbreak For iPhone 5 / iPhone 4S Is Ready, Confi...

    Quote Originally Posted by infty View Post
    I'm running IOS 6.1 and the phone appears to be in normal working mode. I haven't purposely put it in any other mode. I'm running Mountain Lion on a macbook pro.
    Try using Recovery Mode and see what happens: Power the phone down, hold the Home button and connect the USB cable. If the cable and USB ports are working, the MacBook should detect the phone.
    If you have jailbreak woes, you can iMessage me at iDonev@me.com. I'll try to help (provided I have time to spare).
  20. #120  
    infty's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    27 Posts
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5.0.1

    Default Re: iOS 6 / iOS 6.1 Untethered Jailbreak For iPhone 5 / iPhone 4S Is Ready, Confi...

    Quote Originally Posted by iDonev View Post
    Try using Recovery Mode and see what happens: Power the phone down, hold the Home button and connect the USB cable. If the cable and USB ports are working, the MacBook should detect the phone.
    I did that and I was able to restore the phone. But it didn't give me an option to install what I downloaded in step 2. Does that matter?

    Can I now save the blobs and ssh in order to be able to downgrade to 6.1 if I need to in the future?
  21. #121  
    iDonev's Avatar
    iMore Expert

    Posts
    874 Posts
    Global Posts
    877 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.1

    Default Re: iOS 6 / iOS 6.1 Untethered Jailbreak For iPhone 5 / iPhone 4S Is Ready, Confi...

    Quote Originally Posted by infty View Post
    Can I now save the blobs and ssh in order to be able to downgrade to 6.1 if I need to in the future?
    Yep.
    If you have jailbreak woes, you can iMessage me at iDonev@me.com. I'll try to help (provided I have time to spare).
  22. #122  
    risingofthephoenix's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    73 Posts
    iOS Version
    5.0.1

    Default iOS 6 / iOS 6.1 Untethered Jailbreak For iPhone 5 / iPhone 4S Is Ready, Confirms Pod2G

    why is this so gosh darn difficult ? I already upgraded my Sprint iPhone 4 via OTA now what do I do to jailbreak it?
  23. #123  
    iDonev's Avatar
    iMore Expert

    Posts
    874 Posts
    Global Posts
    877 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.1

    Default Re: iOS 6 / iOS 6.1 Untethered Jailbreak For iPhone 5 / iPhone 4S Is Ready, Confirms Pod2G

    Quote Originally Posted by risingofthephoenix View Post
    why is this so gosh darn difficult ? I already upgraded my Sprint iPhone 4 via OTA now what do I do to jailbreak it?
    You reload http://evasi0n.com/ like a madman.
    Oh! And don't forget to buy the evad3rs team a drink!
    If you have jailbreak woes, you can iMessage me at iDonev@me.com. I'll try to help (provided I have time to spare).
  24. #124  
    swarlos's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,349 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,904 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.0.2

    Default iOS 6 / iOS 6.1 Untethered Jailbreak For iPhone 5 / iPhone 4S Is Ready, Confi...

    Anyone able to get into the private beta? Was hoping contributing would get an invite but alas no. 😭
  25. #125  
    iDonev's Avatar
    iMore Expert

    Posts
    874 Posts
    Global Posts
    877 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.1

    Default Re: iOS 6 / iOS 6.1 Untethered Jailbreak For iPhone 5 / iPhone 4S Is Ready, Confi...

    Quote Originally Posted by swarlos View Post
    Anyone able to get into the private beta? Was hoping contributing would get an invite but alas no. ��
    MuscleNerd tweeted a few days ago that they are intentionally picky when it comes to beta testers.
    If you have jailbreak woes, you can iMessage me at iDonev@me.com. I'll try to help (provided I have time to spare).
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 49
    Last Post: 05-03-2011, 04:16 PM
  2. Details and Release Times for iOS 4.3.1 Untethered Jailbreak?
    By BLiNK in forum Jailbreaking, Unlocking, Hacks, Themes & Mods
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-04-2011, 01:28 PM
  3. GreenPois0n Untethered Jailbreak for iOS 4.2.1 Released for Windows
    By iphoneunlocker in forum Jailbreaking, Unlocking, Hacks, Themes & Mods
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-10-2011, 12:14 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-07-2011, 04:02 AM
  5. Comex saves untethered Jailbreak for iOS 4.3
    By jdavis530 in forum Jailbreaking, Unlocking, Hacks, Themes & Mods
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 01-08-2011, 08:45 AM

Posting Permissions