Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Global Posts
    2,011 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default iOS 6 / iOS 6.1 Untethered Jailbreak For iPhone 5 / iPhone 4S Is Ready, Confirms Pod2G

Quote Originally Posted by gordol View Post
    So just doing a normal update via iTunes is insufficient? I plugged my iPhone 5 in, did a backup (honestly, the reason I decided to update tethered, just in case), then told iTunes to do the update. When it was done, I followed the prompts on the phone to select the language, etc. I did not manually do a restore.
    The normal update via iTunes should be perfectly fine.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    650 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Re: iOS 6 / iOS 6.1 Untethered Jailbreak For iPhone 5 / iPhone 4S Is Ready, Confirms Pod2G

Quote Originally Posted by rayz336 View Post
    Thanks. Waiting to be able to install NCSettings, Browser Changer and ShowCase.
    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org
    Double ROT-13 encrypted for your protection

Global Posts
    863 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.0.4

Default Re: iOS 6 / iOS 6.1 Untethered Jailbreak For iPhone 5 / iPhone 4S Is Ready, Confi...

This thread is great, thank you to all the experienced jailbreakers taking time out to write reasoned responses to all our silly questions that you've probably heard a thousand times before. Lesser forums would have gone ballistic by now and it is THE main reason I signed up here last year as you all seem passionate about your devices and secure enough to impart knowledge to us newbies without resorting to exasperation

I am making those first tentative steps into the unknown world of the Jailbreak and.I can probably speak for others when I say I am a bit nervous when my device cost me so much money, so I want to make sure I do things 100% correctly.

Again, thank you.
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    877 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Re: iOS 6 / iOS 6.1 Untethered Jailbreak For iPhone 5 / iPhone 4S Is Ready, Confirms Pod2G

Somewhat incorrect. Instead of doing an update through iTunes, you should make a full restore.
    iOS 6 / iOS 6.1 Untethered Jailbreak For iPhone 5 / iPhone 4S Is Ready, Confirms Pod2G-image.jpg
    For step-by-step instructions see my post at the end of page 1.
    If you have jailbreak woes, you can iMessage me at iDonev@me.com. I'll try to help (provided I have time to spare).
    iPhone Newbie

Default iOS 6 / iOS 6.1 Untethered Jailbreak For iPhone 5 / iPhone 4S Is Ready, Confirms Pod2G

Quote Originally Posted by iDonev View Post
    Not true. Instead of doing an update through iTunes, you should make a full restore.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	23.6 KB 
ID:	25944
    For step-by-step instructions see my post at the end of page 1.
    I did it normally through iTunes. Did I mess up? I look forward to jailbreak my device.
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    877 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by shampz View Post
    I did it normally through iTunes. Did I mess up? I look forward to jailbreak my device.
    You'll be able to jailbreak with no problem. Some issues could arise when Apple stops signing the 6.1 firmware and you need to restore. You might be forced to an unjailbreakable (what a word!) firmware.
    If you have jailbreak woes, you can iMessage me at iDonev@me.com. I'll try to help (provided I have time to spare).
    iPhone Newbie

You'll be able to jailbreak with no problem. Some issues could arise when Apple stops signing the 6.1 firmware and you need to restore. You might be forced to an unjailbreakable (what a word!) firmware.
    I hope its not as bad it sounds. Lol. Is there anything i can do now to avoid such a situation. I made a complete backup though before updating.
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    877 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I hope its not as bad it sounds. Lol. Is there anything i can do now to avoid such a situation. I made a complete backup though before updating.
    You can follow my guide from page 1. You might get the full blobs that way - I am not sure. Does anyone else know if doing a full restore at this point will make a difference?

Global Posts
    2,011 Global Posts
    iOS Version

You can follow my guide from page 1. You might get the full blobs that way - I am not sure. Does anyone else know if doing a full restore at this point will make a difference?
    Wouldn't you get the full blobs from updating through iTunes since it should be downloading the full ipsw for your iPhone?

Global Posts
    2,458 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default iOS 6 / iOS 6.1 Untethered Jailbreak For iPhone 5 / iPhone 4S Is Ready, Confi...

Wouldn't you get the full blobs from updating through iTunes since it should be downloading the full ipsw for your iPhone?
    No, because the ipsw is mixed with the old one, causing the ap tickets to mismatch. That is why a full restore is preferred.
    iMore Forum Moderator
    iPhone 5s ✲ Macbook Pro running Mavericks 10.9 ✲ Apple TV 2nd Gen ✲ Xbox 360 ✲ Nintendo 3DS ✲ PS3

​@laelipoo on Twitter & App.netiMore's 20k Post Challenge

Global Posts
    2,011 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Laelipoo View Post
    No, because the ipsw is mixed with the old one, causing the ap tickets to mismatch. That is why a full restore is preferred.
    Ah ok, thanks for clarifying that for me.
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    877 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Re: iOS 6 / iOS 6.1 Untethered Jailbreak For iPhone 5 / iPhone 4S Is Ready, Confi...

Laelipoo, do you know if doing a full restore after you've updated to 6.1 using the "Update" button updates the APTickets?
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    877 Global Posts
    iOS Version

[double post, ignore me]

Global Posts
    2,458 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default iOS 6 / iOS 6.1 Untethered Jailbreak For iPhone 5 / iPhone 4S Is Ready, Confi...

Laelipoo, do you know if doing a full restore after you've updated to 6.1 using the "Update" button updates the APTickets?
    As long as you never saved the shsh and tickets from the update, then you should be fine.
    iMore Forum Moderator
    iPhone 5s ✲ Macbook Pro running Mavericks 10.9 ✲ Apple TV 2nd Gen ✲ Xbox 360 ✲ Nintendo 3DS ✲ PS3

Thanked by:
    iDonev (01-30-2013)

Global Posts
    2,458 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Ah ok, thanks for clarifying that for me.
    You're welcome. It got really complicated with the A5+ devices, and keeping it all straight is a chore.
    iMore Forum Moderator

iPhone Newbie

You're welcome. It got really complicated with the A5+ devices, and keeping it all straight is a chore.
    Still confused. Is there anything i can do now since i updated normally using iTunes? Any one knows if following the steps now as described will make any difference??
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    877 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Still confused. Is there anything i can do now since i updated normally using iTunes? Any one knows if following the steps now as described will make any difference??
    Do a complete restore from iTunes.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by rdiddy_25 View Post
    Correct.
    Thanks for clearing that up as well i was completely confused ( new to iphone) i thought since i did update over ota jb-ing was out of question. But i dont care about downgrading to an older os so i think i should be all good?
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    274 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BLiNK View Post
    plug into iTunes and select restore. it will download the updated firmware to your computer then restore

or go here
    Apologies, it's been a couple of years since I last jailbroke my iP4.

Just to confirm, I should take the following steps?

1.) Connect to iTunes via cable

2.) Click on the "Restore" tab BEFORE/INSTEAD OF hitting the "Update" tab?

Are there any additional steps needed? If anyone using a MAC could chime in, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
     VZW iP5 | VZW iP4 (jailbroken) | iPod Nano (2nd & 4th-Gen.) | AppleTV (2nd-Gen.) | MacBook Pro 17" Intel Core2Duo | MacBook Pro 13" PowerPC | iPad Mini 
    iPhone Newbie

Do a complete restore from iTunes.
    Doing a restore will downgrade me to 6.0.2. Then i update following the steps mentioned on the 2nd page. Correct?? Then i will be set. Am i correct??
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    877 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Doing a restore will downgrade me to 6.0.2. Then i update following the steps mentioned on the 2nd page. Correct?? Then i will be set. Am i correct??
    Unless there's something wrong with Apple's server, the restore should put you on 6.1. Then you should be okay.

Quote Originally Posted by tourstagefan View Post
    Apologies, it's been a couple of years since I last jailbroke my iP4.

Just to confirm, I should take the following steps?

1.) Connect to iTunes via cable

2.) Click on the "Restore" tab BEFORE/INSTEAD OF hitting the "Update" tab?

Are there any additional steps needed? If anyone using a MAC could chime in, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
    Check my post at the end of Page 1.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    iOS Version

As long as you never saved the shsh and tickets from the update, then you should be fine.
    Ok. So if I updated OTA to 6.1, I can still be ok when Apple releases a nonjailbreakable update as long as I follow the steps on page 1 and haven't saved ssh and tickets? How do I know if I've saved shsh and tickets?
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,112 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.4/6.1

Quote Originally Posted by anygivensunday View Post
    Thanks for clearing that up as well i was completely confused ( new to iphone) i thought since i did update over ota jb-ing was out of question. But i dont care about downgrading to an older os so i think i should be all good?

Yes.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,027 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I don't know why but I decided to update to 6.1 just to check out stock again and the new features of iOS 6. The jb can't come soon enough. Thanks for the info in this thread. I do enjoy the extra smoothness from stock but that's about it.
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    877 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Just a little clarification for those wanting to jailbreak:
    You do not have to be on 6.1!
    According to the official site () and the thread title, the jailbreak will work on iOS 6.0, 6.0.1, 6.0.2 and 6.1.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast