Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree22Likes
    iPhone Nanite

Default iOS 6 / iOS 6.1 Untethered Jailbreak For iPhone 5 / iPhone 4S Is Ready, Confirms Pod2G

Quote Originally Posted by iRy757 View Post
    !!!!! Noooooooo I've already started the OTA update! I hope I can still get the JB. 😟
    Honestly in the past I haven't had any problems jailbreaking from OTA updates, you just need to have an ispw available on your computer.
    iMore Intermediate

iOS Version

Default iOS 6 / iOS 6.1 Untethered Jailbreak For iPhone 5 / iPhone 4S Is Ready, Confirms Pod2G

Quote Originally Posted by iDonev View Post
    You almost got it!

1. Connect iPhone to iTunes via cable.
    2. Do a backup.
    3. Open and download the iOS 6.1 firmware for your device.
    4. In iTunes hold the Shift/Option key on your keyboard and hit Restore.
    5. Navigate to the 6.1 firmware you downloaded in step 3.
    6. When the restore is complete you'll be on 6.1. Now restore from the backup you made in step 2 to restore your apps and data.
    That link takes you to the fake DreamJB site.
    iPhone5 32gb, iPad2 64gb wifi, Apple TV3, MacBook Air
    Team JailBreak
    @LondonComp
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    877 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Re: iOS 6 / iOS 6.1 Untethered Jailbreak For iPhone 5 / iPhone 4S Is Ready, Confirms Pod2G

Quote Originally Posted by WreakingHavoc View Post
    That link takes you to the fake DreamJB site.

I know. It was the first site I found that had updated links for the 6.1 firmware. They are legit - I've tested the iPad 3 firmware myself.

Edit: Updated the link with a more reputable source.
    Last edited by iDonev; 02-01-2013 at 02:41 AM.
    If you have jailbreak woes, you can iMessage me at iDonev@me.com. I'll try to help (provided I have time to spare).
    Thanked by:
    beeray (01-29-2013), Gigi100557 (02-01-2013)
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    300 Global Posts

Default Re: iOS 6 / iOS 6.1 Untethered Jailbreak For iPhone 5 / iPhone 4S Is Ready, Confirms Pod2G

Quote Originally Posted by iDonev View Post
    I know. It was the first site I found that had updated links for the 6.1 firmware. They are legit - I've tested the iPad 3 firmware myself.

I updated ota. So, I used a different computer to restore, here is my question. Should I now d/l 6.1 firmware through the website you suggest?

Thanks for any help
    Beeray
    iMore Intermediate

iOS Version

From pod2g…

tip: is fake, like every iOS 6.1 jailbreak tool website popping-up at the moment.
    Team JailBreak
    @LondonComp
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    300 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WreakingHavoc View Post
    From pod2g…

tip: is fake, like every iOS 6.1 jailbreak tool website popping-up at the moment.
    Is there anyway to get the firmware 6.1 on my main computer? I messed up by updating ota and restored through a different computer. I did a back up to my main computer after I restored. Will this solve my problem?

Thanks

Global Posts
    4,101 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.4/6.1

Quote Originally Posted by beeray View Post
    Is there anyway to get the firmware 6.1 on my main computer? I messed up by updating ota and restored through a different computer. I did a back up to my main computer after I restored. Will this solve my problem?

Thanks

Just plug ur iPhone into ur computer and set up as new thru iTunes. Problem solved
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    300 Global Posts

I tried to do that by restoring my iPhone but I couldn't restore to set it up as a new phone.
    iMore Intermediate

iOS Version

Some pertinent tweets…

The jailbreak has NOT been released yet! don't get fooled! You will hear from @evad3rs when it's available.

DO NOT go to any website searching for a 6.1 JB. THESE ARE FAKE. Don't go there, you will give these scammers money if you do SO DON'T DO IT
    Team JailBreak
    @LondonComp
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    300 Global Posts

I'm not looking for a jb, just the ipsw firmware for 6.1
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,509 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 182

I'm not looking for a jb, just the ipsw firmware for 6.1
    plug into iTunes and select restore. it will download the updated firmware to your computer then restore

or go here
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    300 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BLiNK View Post
    plug into iTunes and select restore. it will download the updated firmware to your computer then restore

or go here
    It would not allow me to restore. That was the problem.
    Thanked by:
    Highrisedrifter (01-30-2013)
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    300 Global Posts

or go here
    Ok, thanks. That will allow me to download the ipsw. Then I can always restore? A dumb question, after I download, do I double click to install the firmware? Thank you
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,509 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 182

Ok, thanks. That will allow me to download the ipsw. Then I can always restore? A dumb question, after I download, do I double click to install the firmware? Thank you
    while device is plugged into iTunes hold shift+click on restore (WIN) - browse to your downloaded firmware - then double click on it
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    300 Global Posts

Thanks, I have a mac. Actually, I did it through terminal. Thanks for all the help
    Last edited by beeray; 01-29-2013 at 12:29 PM.
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    36 Global Posts

Sorry for the noob question, but the ISPW file DOES NOT install a jailbreak right? It will be released later on in the week?

Just out of curiosity, what was the purpose of installing the ISPW file and restoring everything?

Global Posts
    1,970 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfUncleSam View Post
    Sorry for the noob question, but the ISPW file DOES NOT install a jailbreak right? It will be released later on in the week?

Just out of curiosity, what was the purpose of installing the ISPW file and restoring everything?
    Correct, the ipsw is just the iOS file and restoring everything is just to limit the chances of anything going wrong.
    Thanked by:
    SonOfUncleSam (01-29-2013)
    iPhone Nanite

Okay so I'm still a little confused by all this restore, downgrade, and re-restore business. I already updated my 4S to 6.1 OTA. My concern is, say I wasn't happy with the JB at some point, could I still go into iTunes and restore the phone out of the JB back to factory? Or is that what the whole point of updating to 6.1 through iTunes is for?
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,509 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 182

Quote Originally Posted by Guaco View Post
    Okay so I'm still a little confused by all this restore, downgrade, and re-restore business. I already updated my 4S to 6.1 OTA. My concern is, say I wasn't happy with the JB at some point, could I still go into iTunes and restore the phone out of the JB back to factory? Or is that what the whole point of updating to 6.1 through iTunes is for?
    yes, you can restore back to factory settings ANY time you wish via iTunes

now jailbreaking again is tricky IF Apple is no longer signing the "jailbreakable" firmware. that is why you would want to save your SHSH blobs (via TinyUmbrella) so you can downgrade your OS and jailbreak again (if needed) even after Apple is no longer signing the desired firmware

keep in mind SHSH blobs are device specific so if you change devices then the process starts all over
    Thanked by:
    WreakingHavoc (01-29-2013)
    WreakingHavoc likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by 3cit View Post
    no worries dude, you can still jailbreak, just maybe not downgrade...

you can always restore as new to make sure you have the complete 6.1 firmware saved
    So if I don't care about downgrading (I'm already on 6.0.1 OTA) then it should be safe to update to 6.1 OTA?

Global Posts
    4,101 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.4/6.1

Quote Originally Posted by AmpedPotato View Post
    So if I don't care about downgrading (I'm already on 6.0.1 OTA) then it should be safe to update to 6.1 OTA?
    Correct.
    Thanked by:
    Gigi100557 (02-01-2013), WreakingHavoc (01-31-2013)
    iPhone Nanite

yes, you can restore back to factory settings ANY time you wish via iTunes

now jailbreaking again is tricky IF Apple is no longer signing the "jailbreakable" firmware. that is why you would want to save your SHSH blobs (via TinyUmbrella) so you can downgrade your OS and jailbreak again (if needed) even after Apple is no longer signing the desired firmware

keep in mind SHSH blobs are device specific so if you change devices then the process starts all over
    I see now! Thanks for the help and clearing things up.
    iMore Elite

iOS Version

This is such a helpful productive thread!!!
    iMore Intermediate

iOS Version

Yeah guys! Glad I joined up on these forums. Really helpful community!
    BLiNK and swarlos like this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    646 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Re: iOS 6 / iOS 6.1 Untethered Jailbreak For iPhone 5 / iPhone 4S Is Ready, Confi...

So just doing a normal update via iTunes is insufficient? I plugged my iPhone 5 in, did a backup (honestly, the reason I decided to update tethered, just in case), then told iTunes to do the update. When it was done, I followed the prompts on the phone to select the language, etc. I did not manually do a restore.
    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org
    Double ROT-13 encrypted for your protection
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast