Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kch50428
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    258 Global Posts

Default Is it time to jailbreak?

I've had an iphone for 3+ years, and despite liking the idea of jail breaking to customize....that isn't enough to make the jump.
    What is driving me bat$&@% crazy are telemarketing calls. Rachel from card member services is my mortal enemy.
    Question- is there an app/program for jailbreak that allows me to call block? Does it work for you if there is? If so, how should I jailbreak?
    Ugh...
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,957 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Re: Is it time to jailbreak?

Quote Originally Posted by salscott View Post
    I've had an iphone for 3+ years, and despite liking the idea of jail breaking to customize....that isn't enough to make the jump.
    What is driving me bat$&@% crazy are telemarketing calls. Rachel from card member services is my mortal enemy.
    Question- is there an app/program for jailbreak that allows me to call block? Does it work for you if there is? If so, how should I jailbreak?
    Ugh...
    I can honestly say that in all the years I've owned an iphone I've not had a single telemarketing call. For some reason I always thought that cell numbers were off limits, but I guess not?

At any rate, not sure about a call-blocking app per se, but if you have a Google Voice number you might consider giving that out instead when companies require a number. Then you'll be able to deal with those calls however you'd like (block/voicemail, etc).

And if you're not on the Do Not Call list, sign up now:
    iMore Elite

iOS Version

iblacklist
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    258 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Massie View Post
    I can honestly say that in all the years I've owned an iphone I've not had a single telemarketing call. For some reason I always thought that cell numbers were off limits, but I guess not?

At any rate, not sure about a call-blocking app per se, but if you have a Google Voice number you might consider giving that out instead when companies require a number. Then you'll be able to deal with those calls however you'd like (block/voicemail, etc).

And if you're not on the Do Not Call list, sign up now:
    I am on the Dnd list...you are lucky

Global Posts
    4,099 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.4/6.1

Just tell the caller they are calling ur cell phone and not to call again and they have to remove ur number. It's law! Otherwise, I agree with 3cit, iBlacklist works like a champ.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,957 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Does iBlacklist work well with big corporations as well as individuals? I always wondered if big 1-800 numbers had giant phone banks with different numbers they could use.
  7. Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    258 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rdiddy_25 View Post
    Just tell the caller they are calling ur cell phone and not to call again and they have to remove ur number. It's law! Otherwise, I agree with 3cit, iBlacklist works like a champ.
    I promise you I have threatened, cussed, befriended, scared, amused and talked about the law. No relief.
    iMore Elite

iOS Version

I promise you I have threatened, cussed, befriended, scared, amused and talked about the law. No relief.
    do you owe money to rachel at card member services??
    and who did you give your cell phone number too?

#justsayin
    iMore Guru

iOS Version

RingerX VIP works well for me.
  10. Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    258 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 3cit View Post
    do you owe money to rachel at card member services??
    and who did you give your cell phone number too?

#justsayin
    Hardly....it is a company that is trying to extend more credit to card owners who actually pay their bills.
    #nationaldonotcalllistblows
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    3,633 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS5

I am on the Dnd list...you are lucky
    The DNC list is a joke. I'm on it and have been on it yet multiple times a month I get calls for everything under the sun.
    Dude! You slapped a fish. You punched it! Why would you hit it?

So she's praying...To Justin Timberlake apparently
  12. Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    258 Global Posts

I get a dozen or so a week....largely card member services (you can google Rachel at card member services and see that this is widespread and I'm on some timeshare list). What a joke the dnc list is. Att is no help.

Global Posts
    11,084 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I used to jailbreak and the primary reason was iBlacklist... but in the interim when jailbreak was not an option on 5.x & then 6.x - I developed a work-around that works for me... I put an entry in my Contacts app named "Ima Dumbass" - and any number that calls me that is telemarketing in nature gets added under "Ima" - and in the Contacts app - I assigned "Ima" with her own ringtone... Silent. And no vibrate... so when "Ima" calls, there's no intrusion - just the screen lighting up... and the entry in 'recents', and maybe a voicemail to delete without listening to... Not a perfect solution, but it works for me.

Also available depending on your service provider... blocked call lists... Verizon lets you keep a list of five numbers that are blocked for 90 days at a time for free... I use that too... or I could pay for a feature to block up to 20 numbers permanently...
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
    Thanked by:
    salscott (02-06-2013)
    salscott likes this.
  14. Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    258 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kch50428 View Post
    I used to jailbreak and the primary reason was iBlacklist... but in the interim when jailbreak was not an option on 5.x & then 6.x - I developed a work-around that works for me... I put an entry in my Contacts app named "Ima Dumbass" - and any number that calls me that is telemarketing in nature gets added under "Ima" - and in the Contacts app - I assigned "Ima" with her own ringtone... Silent. And no vibrate... so when "Ima" calls, there's no intrusion - just the screen lighting up... and the entry in 'recents', and maybe a voicemail to delete without listening to... Not a perfect solution, but it works for me.

Also available depending on your service provider... blocked call lists... Verizon lets you keep a list of five numbers that are blocked for 90 days at a time for free... I use that too... or I could pay for a feature to block up to 20 numbers permanently...
    I love it....and this one company (card member services) uses a bunch of different numbers. Att has a service, but in their wisdom you have to go to their website and add and you are limited to 20 or so numbers. Thanks

Global Posts
    11,084 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I love it....and this one company (card member services) uses a bunch of different numbers. Att has a service, but in their wisdom you have to go to their website and add and you are limited to 20 or so numbers. Thanks
    Well - 'Ima' in my contacts app has a lot of numbers... well over 100...
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
    iMore Elite

iOS Version

Kch is genius!