Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

Default Need help to upgrade from ios 4.3.2 to ios 5.1.1 and then jailbreak

Dears,

My iphone 4 (ios 4.3.2) has been jailbroken but I want to upgrade it to ios 5.1.1 and then jailbreak again.
    Can you please assist me on the process step by step?
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    173 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5.0.1/5.11

Default Re: Need help to upgrade from ios 4.3.2 to ios 5.1.1 and then jailbreak

You cannot upgrade to 5.1.1 since it is no longer signed. If you upgrade you will have to go 6.0.1 which does not have a JailBreak as of yet.
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iPhone Nanite

@ThaKrazyOne: What if I upgrade to 6.0.1 by connecting to itunes which will eventually delete my current jailbreak and again downgrade to 5.1.1 and jailbreak again? Will it work?

Global Posts
    2,517 Global Posts
    iOS Version

When you open Cydia what blobs does it say that you have? It'll be across the top in light blue print.

iPhone 5 ✲ iPad 3 WiFi ✲ Macbook Pro running Lion 10.8.2 ✲ Xbox 360 ✲ Nintendo 3DS ✲ PS3

Beamed from a galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk 2!
    iMore Forum Moderator
    iPhone 5s ✲ Macbook Pro running Mavericks 10.9 ✲ Apple TV 2nd Gen ✲ Xbox 360 ✲ Nintendo 3DS ✲ PS3

​@laelipoo on Twitter & App.netiMore's 20k Post Challenge
    iMore Elite

iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by ThaKrazyOne View Post
    You cannot upgrade to 5.1.1 since it is no longer signed. If you upgrade you will have to go 6.0.1 which does not have a JailBreak as of yet.

SHUT UP!!!!

you are definitely wrong about no jailbreak for 6.0.1 and probably wrong about not being able to go to 5.1.1 because he is already jailbroken.
    so you basically just lied to this kid, what if he took your word as absolute truth and just left and stopped investigating his question?
    DONT ANSWER THREADS IF YOU DONT KNOW THE ANSWER

and lealipoo... got your shortcut ready! we can race! if op is fortunate enough to ever check back

Global Posts
    2,517 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Haha I'll post it now.

Quote Originally Posted by Laelipoo View Post
    You may just want to use the latest version of redsn0w to restore. Blog.iphone-dev.org Just make sure to carefully read the instructions. EDIT: Now that I am on my computer I can post the relevant bits for you The newest version of redsn0w lets you directly restore pre-A5 devices to earlier firmware — no more complicated 15-step how-to’s with stitching, iTunes errors, and “hosts file” concerns. This is a good thing and should avoid your issues. Download it from the link I posted earlier in this message. Run it, if on windows you may have to be in compatibility mode. Go to Extras->Even More->Restore, and follow the prompts. When it asks, click "remote blobs". You must also have a local copy of the right 5.1.1 ipsw on your machine and let redsn0w know where it is when prompted. Run it. And be happy. A tutorial with pictures for you: How to Upgrade with RedSn0w Restore iPhone 5 ✲ iPad 3 WiFi ✲ Macbook Pro running Lion 10.8.2 ✲ Xbox 360 ✲ Nintendo 3DS ✲ PS3 Beamed from a galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk!
    iMore Forum Moderator
    iPhone 5s ✲ Macbook Pro running Mavericks 10.9 ✲ Apple TV 2nd Gen ✲ Xbox 360 ✲ Nintendo 3DS ✲ PS3

iMore Elite

iOS Version

Haha I'll post it now.
    sneaky

Global Posts
    2,517 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by 3cit View Post
    sneaky
    Very very sneaky sir.
    iMore Forum Moderator

iMore Elite

iOS Version

Very very sneaky sir.
    its too bad you cant help out your dirty birds... looks like this game isnt going in the right direction currently!

Global Posts
    2,517 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by 3cit View Post
    its too bad you cant help out your dirty birds... looks like this game isnt going in the right direction currently!
    They're only mine today, maybe that's why. I'll stop being off topic now.
    iMore Forum Moderator

iMore Guru

iOS Version

You both beat me. I need to check in more often...
  12. Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  
    iPhone Nanite

@3cit: What I have understood after reading many articles on the web is, I've to upgrade to 6.0.1 by connecting to itunes which will eventually delete my current jailbreak and again downgrade to 5.1.1 and jailbreak again. Is there any other easier method than that? Currently I'm using ios 4.3.2.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,922 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

Quote Originally Posted by Hassan_Morshed View Post
    @3cit: What I have understood after reading many articles on the web is, I've to upgrade to 6.0.1 by connecting to itunes which will eventually delete my current jailbreak and again downgrade to 5.1.1 and jailbreak again. Is there any other easier method than that? Currently I'm using ios 4.3.2.
    I'm sure 3cit can correct me if I'm wrong lol but I think you can make a custom ipsw of 5.1.1 and stitch in the blobs with red snow assuming u have them in Cydia currently then do a shift restore in iTunes and select your custom ipsw

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !

Global Posts
    2,517 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Since it apparently got missed, here is how to go directly from 4.x.x to 5.1.1 assuming you have the correct SHSH on Cydia.

You may just want to use the latest version of redsn0w to restore. Blog.iphone-dev.org Just make sure to carefully read the instructions. EDIT: Now that I am on my computer I can post the relevant bits for you The newest version of redsn0w lets you directly restore pre-A5 devices to earlier firmware — no more complicated 15-step how-to’s with stitching, iTunes errors, and “hosts file” concerns. This is a good thing and should avoid your issues. Download it from the link I posted earlier in this message. Run it, if on windows you may have to be in compatibility mode. Go to Extras->Even More->Restore, and follow the prompts. When it asks, click "remote blobs". You must also have a local copy of the right 5.1.1 ipsw on your machine and let redsn0w know where it is when prompted. Run it. And be happy. A tutorial with pictures for you: How to Upgrade with RedSn0w Restore iPhone 5 ✲ iPad 3 WiFi ✲ Macbook Pro running Lion 10.8.2 ✲ Xbox 360 ✲ Nintendo 3DS ✲ PS3 Beamed from a galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk!
    iMore Forum Moderator

iMore Elite

iOS Version

Sounds familiar...
    Thread seems solved to me! Just need op to post his success story, and thanks to be given!
    iPhone Nanite

Hi, I'm totally new user of iPhone, I've iPhone 4 GSM Running on iOS 4.3.5 (8L1), Modem Firmware 04.10.01 .... working on gevey sim
    I need to upgrade it to iOS 5.1.1 (I've Downloaded Firmware 5.1.1 (9B206) for iPhone 4 (GSM) from Download Firmware (IPSW) Files for iOS Devices) and I want it working on the same gevey sim after upgrade...
    Plz help so that I don't get my phone locked.

Global Posts
    2,517 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by fslaz View Post
    Hi, I'm totally new user of iPhone, I've iPhone 4 GSM Running on iOS 4.3.5 (8L1), Modem Firmware 04.10.01 .... working on gevey sim
    I need to upgrade it to iOS 5.1.1 (I've Downloaded Firmware 5.1.1 (9B206) for iPhone 4 (GSM) from Download Firmware (IPSW) Files for iOS Devices) and I want it working on the same gevey sim after upgrade...
    Plz help so that I don't get my phone locked.
    You need to preserve your baseband when you update. More importantly, do you have shsh saved for 5.1.1?
    iMore Forum Moderator