Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts

Default First time Jailbreaking problem

Hi all first, I am sick of apples restrictions and their greedy way of doing things. My friend gave me his old ipod touch 2g, 8gb. I tried installing apps... But you cant because it is stuck on 4.2.1 Ios. So I am going to jailbreak the dang thing!!!

Anyways the problem. I downloaded quickpwn on my macbook pro because it was what I saw suggested. However, once downloaded, installed and ready to go. It asks me to plug in my ipod, I do so... Than nothing happens. Nothing at all. Well lets just say, since this is my first time, I am so confused. Plus I dont understand macs all that well either... My school forced me to get it instead of a windows laptop. Any and all help would be more than appreciated!
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    877 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Re: First time Jailbreaking problem

I don't remember if it applies, but try going to jailbreakme.com on the iPod and see if you can't jailbreak from there.

If that doesn't do it, follow this tutorial.
    If you have jailbreak woes, you can iMessage me at iDonev@me.com. I'll try to help (provided I have time to spare).
    Thanked by:
    jacobkeller98 (01-18-2013)

Global Posts
    2,517 Global Posts
    iOS Version

http://m.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=12969

Though I do suggest you edit your post about the apps bit, as you don't have to jailbreak to install apps from the App Store. Some people could imply something you may or may not mean.

iPhone 5 ✲ iPad 3 WiFi ✲ Macbook Pro running Lion 10.8.2 ✲ Xbox 360 ✲ Nintendo 3DS ✲ PS3

Beamed from a galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk!
    iMore Forum Moderator
    iPhone 5s ✲ Macbook Pro running Mavericks 10.9 ✲ Apple TV 2nd Gen ✲ Xbox 360 ✲ Nintendo 3DS ✲ PS3

​@laelipoo on Twitter & App.netiMore's 20k Post Challenge
    Thanked by:
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Laelipoo View Post
    iClarified - iPod touch - How to Jailbreak Your iPod Touch 2G Using RedSn0w (Mac) [4.2.1]

Though I do suggest you edit your post about the apps bit, as you don't have to jailbreak to install apps from the App Store. Some people could imply something you may or may not mean.

iPhone 5 ✲ iPad 3 WiFi ✲ Macbook Pro running Lion 10.8.2 ✲ Xbox 360 ✲ Nintendo 3DS ✲ PS3

Beamed from a galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk!
    Edit it? How should I edit it lol. Its the reason why I want to jailbreak it, most apps require that your Ios is at least 4.3. What I am trying to do is simply get apps onto it. Anyways, thanks guys for the help!
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,922 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

If the app has that requirement I don't think getting the app from a diff source will change that ..

And noone here can help with getting apps for other sources because it is against forum rules to get apps that way

As far as jailbreaking I would look at iclairified website they have step by step of how to do it

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !
    Thanked by:
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts

Alright, so I am now trying to use the redsn0w application to jailbreak the ipod. However, I think the Ipod is broken now.... Whenever I try to boot the ipod up through redsn0w it freezes, it shows the apple symbol, than has the circling loading bar. Yet it stops and does nothing, and redsn0w is waiting for it to reboot... Itunes wont recognize it, and I cannot go any further than this. what did I do wrong?
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,922 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

Quote Originally Posted by jacobkeller98 View Post
    Alright, so I am now trying to use the redsn0w application to jailbreak the ipod. However, I think the Ipod is broken now.... Whenever I try to boot the ipod up through redsn0w it freezes, it shows the apple symbol, than has the circling loading bar. Yet it stops and does nothing, and redsn0w is waiting for it to reboot... Itunes wont recognize it, and I cannot go any further than this. what did I do wrong?
    Put back in dfu and try again

Thanked by:
  8. Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts

Wait, its against forum rules to help someone jailbreak an ipod, than to trick it into having 4.3 Ios, so that I can download apps? Huh... I am confused than....
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,922 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

Wait, its against forum rules to help someone jailbreak an ipod, than to trick it into having 4.3 Ios, so that I can download apps? Huh... I am confused than....
    It's against rules to download apps from places other than the apps store
    not to jailbreak that why I'm trying to help you jailbreak ...

If there is a way to trick it to run 4.3 that is beyond me I've never heard of a tweak that does that

10. Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts

Darn, well than. Thanks for helping me. Anyways so I did as you said, put it back into dfu, and still the same problem. Is my Ipod just screwed?
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,922 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

Darn, well than. Thanks for helping me. Anyways so I did as you said, put it back into dfu, and still the same problem. Is my Ipod just screwed?
    It's never screwed I would but in dfu and then do a normal restore in iTunes then try the jailbreak again with redsnow

12. Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts

Alright, so should I just install cydia? Or should I do something else with it?
    iMore Elite

iOS Version

you just need to install cydia, none of the boot logo crap...

however your desire for a jailbreak may be misguided here,
    even if you gain access to the plists and edit them to spoof your phone to a hgiher firmware, lik 4.3.3 doesnt man that apps will work on it. quite the opposite, you will install and app try to launch it and have a crash either back to srpingboard or even to safemode!..

also the device is so old school and so slow that not many jailbreak tweaks are even going to work for you anymore.

just a heads up
    Thanked by:
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,922 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

Quote Originally Posted by 3cit View Post
    you just need to install cydia, none of the boot logo crap...

however your desire for a jailbreak may be misguided here,
    even if you gain access to the plists and edit them to spoof your phone to a hgiher firmware, lik 4.3.3 doesnt man that apps will work on it. quite the opposite, you will install and app try to launch it and have a crash either back to srpingboard or even to safemode!..

also the device is so old school and so slow that not many jailbreak tweaks are even going to work for you anymore.

just a heads up
    Pretty much my thought throw it in the car for music and call it a day lol

Thanked by:
  15. Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts

Well that looks like what I must do with it anyways, redsn0w keeps making the ipod freeze. Sad, its the first media player I own of its type, I dont have the money sadly to ever get anything like this. I want an android tablet... But before I can afford anything like that I need to pay for school. Oh well, I guess I will just get spotify premium, fill it up with all the music I would ever want/need. Plus I do get to play my childhood favored retro game on it. Shining force! Well thanks guys for the help.