Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    134 Global Posts

Default How to downgrade jb iphone4 from ios 6.0.1 to 5.0.1 ?

Hi, I have jb ( tethered) iphone4 ios 6.0.1 what there are less apps, tweaks and themes fully compatible with ios 6 . I have shsh 4.3.1,5.0.1,5.1.1,6.0.1 on cydia . so I tried to downgrade to 5.1.1 but itunes gave error 3194 , I googled and changed the host name , then it gave another error 1600 and my phone got stuck on white apple logo , I waited for half a day but there was no progress , then I put it in recovery mode and restored again with itunes and it broke my jb which I performed again after restore. My question is , is there any other way to downgrade to lower firmware so I can enjoy jb in its full capacity . I also want to mention that I have purchased this phone as 2nd hand from market and it came with ios 6.0.1 so I am not sure whether it was updated OTA or with pc on itunes . Please , advice what should i do , should I continue with my present jb or again try to downgrade , my first experience of downgrading was very horrible , so i need your expert advice. Thanks !
    iMore Elite

iOS Version

Default Re: How to downgrade jb iphone4 from ios 6.0.1 to 5.0.1 ?

Quote Originally Posted by sameer kapoor View Post
    Hi, I have jb ( tethered) iphone4 ios 6.0.1 what there are less apps, tweaks and themes fully compatible with ios 6 . I have shsh 4.3.1,5.0.1,5.1.1,6.0.1 on cydia . so I tried to downgrade to 5.1.1 but itunes gave error 3194 , I googled and changed the host name , then it gave another error 1600 and my phone got stuck on white apple logo , I waited for half a day but there was no progress , then I put it in recovery mode and restored again with itunes and it broke my jb which I performed again after restore. My question is , is there any other way to downgrade to lower firmware so I can enjoy jb in its full capacity . I also want to mention that I have purchased this phone as 2nd hand from market and it came with ios 6.0.1 so I am not sure whether it was updated OTA or with pc on itunes . Please , advice what should i do , should I continue with my present jb or again try to downgrade , my first experience of downgrading was very horrible , so i need your expert advice. Thanks !
    Quote Originally Posted by Laelipoo View Post
    You may just want to use the latest version of redsn0w to restore. Blog.iphone-dev.org

Just make sure to carefully read the instructions.

EDIT: Now that I am on my computer I can post the relevant bits for you

The newest version of redsn0w lets you directly restore pre-A5 devices to earlier firmware — no more complicated 15-step how-to’s with stitching, iTunes errors, and “hosts file” concerns. This is a good thing and should avoid your issues.

Download it from the link I posted earlier in this message. Run it, if on windows you may have to be in compatibility mode. Go to Extras->Even More->Restore, and follow the prompts. When it asks, click "remote blobs". You must also have a local copy of the right 5.1.1 ipsw on your machine and let redsn0w know where it is when prompted. Run it. And be happy.

A tutorial with pictures for you:

iPhone 5 ✲ iPad 3 WiFi ✲ Macbook Pro running Lion 10.8.2 ✲ Xbox 360 ✲ Nintendo 3DS ✲ PS3

Beamed from a galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk!
    follow that post.

give thanks and a like to laelipoo

also downgrade to ios 5.1.1
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    134 Global Posts

Thanks a lot , I have downgraded to 5.0.1 successfully , now please advice which version of redsnow shoud i use to jailbreak - 0.9.10b5 or 0.9.15b3 ? Thanks
    iMore Pro

iOS Version

Default How to downgrade jb iphone4 from ios 6.0.1 to 5.0.1 ?

Thanks a lot , I have downgraded to 5.0.1 successfully , now please advice which version of redsnow shoud i use to jailbreak - 0.9.10b5 or 0.9.15b3 ? Thanks
    Here is a tutorial that I followed when I was on 5.0.1 with my old iPhone 4:

However it says to use 0.9.10b4. There is a download link on his site.

Either way the above tutorial will get you successfully jailbroken on IOS 5.0.1 un-tethered.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    iPhone Nanite

Hi, I'm having the same issue. When I received my phone it was already on ios 6.0.1 & I have it jailbroken but I too am very unhappy with the limitations on this jailbreak. Where can I find a reliable ipsw to downgrade my phone to 5.0.1? I jailbroke mine with Redsn0w 0.9.15b3. Any help you can provide will be appreciated
    iMore Elite

iOS Version

sorry, you can only downgrade a device that has blobs saved for it.
    if you bought your phone new, and it came with 6.0.1 then you cannot downgrade to a lower os