Unlocking issues with my iPhone

sx4dude2013

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
On wed im buying an Iphone 5 from walmart, the at&t one for $649.99.

I want to use it on ST via the AT&T ST sim card, after I cut it of course.
Does jailbreaking unlock it? Do I need to unlock it?

I want to be able to use it same day with having to pay to get it unlocked? Help?

sherlock

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Re: Im so lost?

At Walmart it's $649 for 16GB unlocked version of the iPhone 5. That is full price and is unsubsidized so it is unlocked. As for Swappa I would assume it is locked to the AT&T network.

sx4dude2013

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site

At Walmart it's $649 for 16GB unlocked version of the iPhone 5. That is full price and is unsubsidized so it is unlocked. As for Swappa I would assume it is locked to the AT&T network.

So I go to WALMART and ask for what iphone? Cause the Verizon one doesn't have a sim slot cause its CDMA. SO i dont want that one.

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site

there are three different hardware models of the iphone 5, i believe only two are being sold stateside.
think of the iphone 4. att version and verizon version are different.

in the case of the 4 it was literally impossible for a 4 to switch between gsm (att) and cdma (verizon) networks...
the iphone 4s had only one configuration, a true world phone, there was only 1 hardware version of the 4s, however, both verizon and att dug their pig headed feet into the ground and played hardball with off netwrok phones.

back to the iphone 5, there is only one hardware setup that will work on verizons network, and that is 1429a cdma, which is identical to 1429a gsm except for the inclusion of an additional cdma radio.

so in essence the verizon version is the way to go. especially if it is unlocked., but dont think of it as a verizon model, think of it as a cdma model

Source

mjs416

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site

oh. so I can get any iphone from Walmart?

I do not believe that is right. You can pop a SIM card into a CDMA phone but I believe you can only get sub-par 3G speeds.

You can pull a SIM out of one kind of AT&T phone and pop it into another and be ready to go. To change CDMA phones you actually need to call Verizon and have them do it.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site

I must be missing something. If you buy it from Walmart to use on the Straight Talk plan, just tell them that when you buy it and they'll put the correct SIM in for you. (ST is sold through Walmart.) You shouldn't have to cut anything yourself. If you're already on Straight Talk, tell them that; if you need a new ST plan, tell them that.

In other words, the whole point of buying an iPhone 5 at Walmart is so they can set it up on the Straight Talk plan.

vietalogy

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
With Verizon's iPhone 5 version you will get get at&t 3G and not LTE. So make sure you get at&t version.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
With Verizon's iPhone 5 version you will get get at&t 3G and not LTE. So make sure you get at&t version.

Actually, I don't believe either version has access to LTE on Straight Talk. That's one of the tradeoffs for the cheaper price per month.

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Hardware wise the CDMA version is identical to the gsm version except for the extra radio.

So an out of contract CDMA phone will be able to do whatever the carrier allows.

So massie is probably correct, but that's because Of carrier, not contract.

GET THE CDMA VERSION

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Hardware wise the CDMA version is identical to the gsm version except for the extra radio.

So an out of contract CDMA phone will be able to do whatever the carrier allows.

So massie is probably correct, but that's because Of carrier, not contract.

GET THE CDMA VERSION

I'm not sure I follow...what's the advantage to the CDMA version? (Other than that it's unlocked, which to me is already a big plus.) Are you saying it could get better speeds than the AT&T model?

I don't know much about Straight Talk, but I thought it only used AT&T towers?

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
The CDMA version is the gsm version with the extra radio.

So no point in not getting it... Right?

The only issue might be, that the software configuration is not compatible, as in the radios, that we pretty much have no access too, are provisioned in such a way that the gsm radios in the CDMA phone are not compatible with AT&T networks.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
The CDMA version is the gsm version with the extra radio.

So no point in not getting it... Right?

The only issue might be, that the software configuration is not compatible, as in the radios, that we pretty much have no access too, are provisioned in such a way that the gsm radios in the CDMA phone are not compatible with AT&T networks.

I think it depends on where you plan on using it...if I recall correctly, the GSM bands in the Verizon iPhone 5 are not compatible with AT&T 4G--so you might only be getting 3G speeds on Straight Talk instead of HSPA+, etc. If you're never going to use the CDMA radio it might be worth getting the AT&T version right out of the box.

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Not compatible because of software configuration placed in the radios.
I suppose that, That is likely considering the business practices of these two giant monopolistic conglomerates.

I think the best plan for op would be to go to straight talk and make sure of what he is going to need to make it work with their network.

vietalogy

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Actually depends on OP if he's getting at&t or T-Mobile straight talk sim. So be best to go to Walmart see what carrier has best service in his/her area.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73