iPad 2 Wifi JB 5.0.1 -> 5.1.1. Problem

Sharillon

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys.

I have a problem updating 5.0.1 to 5.1.1. If I hold Shift and do the restore in iTunes it will show me an error 3194, because 5.1.1 is not signed by Apple anymore it seems. So I tried to "update" it with redsn0w, but it also shows "Can not restore".

The question is, if I can just update my iPad to iOS 6.1, then downgrade to 5.1.1 and use an untethered JB?

Thanks for any help :)

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
do you remember how you ended up on 5.0.1? did you do it over the air? or connected to itunes.
what version of redsnow are you using
it is possible to go from 6.xxx to 4.xx on an ipad2 but you mut meet very specific requirements
i HIGHLY RECCOMEND staying away from 6.xx for now

Sharillon

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I ended up on 5.0.1 through iTunes. Then JB it with Absinthe if I remember correctly.

I am using version 0.9.14b2 to update to 5.1.1, but it is not working. I am using iPad2,1_5.1.1_9B206_Restore.ipsw to update. It is a non-custom one I guess. When I try to upgrade with iTunes, holding Shift and Restore, I get the 3194 error, because it is not signed anymore, I think.

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Yes it is because it's too late to sign it. To restore to 5.1.1, you would need your 5.0.1 SHSH, the 5.1.1 SHSH, and both of these must be from restore done in iTunes, no OTA or hitting "update" in iTunes, and the SHSH must have been saved after the restore.

1. redsn0w now lets you restore an A5+ device from any iOS5 to any other iOS5 as long as you have correct 5.x blobs for the starting (current) and ending points of the restore
  • APtickets eliminated “higher-version only” comparison of firmware restores (just like BBtickets did for the baseband)
  • example restores supported by redsn0w if you have the correct blobs: 5.1.1-to-5.0.1, 5.0.1-to-5.1.1, 5.1.1-to-5.1.1, 5.0.1-to-5.0.1
  • if you don’t have the blobs locally, let redsn0w try to fetch them remotely (redsn0w always tries both Apple and Cydia). Any succesful remote fetch also saves a local copy too.
2. You DO NOT QUALIFY for iOS5-to-iOS5 restores if you got to your current 5.x via an OTA update

• the tickets saved by Cydia, redsn0w, and TinyUmbrella do not cover OTA update ramdisk images
  • even if they did, it’s the “wrong kind” of ramdisk (you’d need to start at that earlier pre-OTA FW)
  • devices fresh from factory or refurb may fall in the “does not qualify” category (your results will vary)
  • it’s okay if you previously got to 5.x via an OTA update, as long as your current 5.x was installed via a normal iTunes restore. All that matters is how you got to your current 5.x most recently
  • redsn0w detects an OTA/normal-restore APticket mismatch very early, so if you don’t know your status there should be no harm in trying. Any device in recovery mode after such a mismatch can boot normally again just by going back to “Even More” screen from the “Restore” screen (or use “Recovery Fix” if you quit redsn0w before doing that).

Sharillon

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Yeah. I do not know what OTA is. I installed the 5.0.1 through iTunes, so I should qualify right?

Is there any website, where I can download the "blobs"?

I am not quite sure what to "click" now though. I open redsn0w, then go to "Extras", then SHSH-Blobs and then I guess "Stitch" - Personalize an IPSW with blobs.

Thanks again :)

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Yeah. I do not know what OTA is. I installed the 5.0.1 through iTunes, so I should qualify right?

Is there any website, where I can download the "blobs"?

I am not quite sure what to "click" now though. I open redsn0w, then go to "Extras", then SHSH-Blobs and then I guess "Stitch" - Personalize an IPSW with blobs.

Thanks again :)

OTA means over the air. Did you use update or restore when you did it? If you did update, stop, you cannot restore.

Shsh are the code signatures that let you restore. Cydia usually saves them for you. Hit extras then verify in redsn0w to see if you have them. If you do not, stop, you cannot restore to 5.1.1.

And no you do not stitch. The tutorial I linked you says exactly what to do.

iPhone 5 ✲ iPad 3 WiFi ✲ Macbook Pro running Lion 10.8.2 ✲ Xbox 360 ✲ Nintendo 3DS ✲ PS3

Beamed from a galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk!

Sharillon

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Ah. Seems I used OTA. I remember I made a clean "install" from restoring the iPad, then updating it to 5.0.1 last year.

Then I have to wait till a iOS 6 JB will be available. Thanks for all the help!

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
You're welcome. But as a tip, if you want to jailbreak, always update your phone through iTunes using the restore option. It helps out a lot in times like these.

iPhone 5 ✲ iPad 3 WiFi ✲ Macbook Pro running Lion 10.8.2 ✲ Xbox 360 ✲ Nintendo 3DS ✲ PS3

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
You're welcome. But as a tip, if you want to jailbreak, always update your phone through iTunes using the restore option. It helps out a lot in times like these.

im confused as to why a restore and not just an update...
can you point me to info on that?

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
im confused as to why a restore and not just an update...
can you point me to info on that?

Basically, when you update through iTunes, the APTicket and blobs are not complete, and do not work for restores on A5 devices and up, so the dev-team highly recommends a true restore, then saving the SHSH.

It's amazing what you learn reading their blog posts and the comments.

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I updated my wife's 5 through iTunes...
But the best way would be to restore as new? Then save blobs, then restore from backup?

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
That would be their recommendation, yes. Can't hurt to try it.

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
You can always point resn0w at the IPSW and save the blobs that way, just not for 6.0.1 as they're no longer signing it as of yesterday.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods