Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Global Posts
    2,458 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Re: iphone 4 ios 4.2.8 jailbroken problems

At this point, I would just pick option one. As long as you keep your phone charged, a tethered JB isn't so bad.
    iMore Forum Moderator
    iPhone 5s ✲ Macbook Pro running Mavericks 10.9 ✲ Apple TV 2nd Gen ✲ Xbox 360 ✲ Nintendo 3DS ✲ PS3

​@laelipoo on Twitter & App.netiMore's 20k Post Challenge
    iMore Pro

iOS Version

Default iphone 4 ios 4.2.8 jailbroken problems

Quote Originally Posted by Laelipoo View Post
    At this point, I would just pick option one. As long as you keep your phone charged, a tethered JB isn't so bad.
    I second this as I've had tethered jailbreaks in the past and I don't think I've ever let my phone run out of battery too. Always good to have a car charger for on the move to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    iMore Elite

iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Laelipoo View Post
    I'll third this.
    Mobile substrate updated too so most tweaks don't require a reboot anymore when installed, so rebooting doesn't happen often.
    Even if a tweak asks to reboot, just kill cydia through app switcher and then respring.

Isn't the jailbreak actually semi-tethered anyway?
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #29  
    iPhone Newbie

So be it, 6.01 it is, since I really couldnt care for the tethered or not. Is there any better ways of doing this
    versus others. Woud the simpliest way to do it, is thru itunes download and upgrate 6.0.1 and jb?
    iMore Pro

iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by saltyreefguy View Post
    So be it, 6.01 it is, since I really couldnt care for the tethered or not. Is there any better ways of doing this
    versus others. Woud the simpliest way to do it, is thru itunes download and upgrate 6.0.1 and jb?
    If I had a device that I could jailbreak tethered now on 6.0.1, I would do it in a flash because at least you are jailbroken and then when the un-tether patch is available, you install that and its in sight now.
    Last edited by 1982ollie; 01-16-2013 at 04:06 AM.
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #31  
    iPhone Newbie

do i need to save any files from the current ip4 ios 4.2.8 jb. thanks.

is it best to just let it restore and upgrade ota thru itunes and then jailbreak...
    iMore Elite

iOS Version

do i need to save any files from the current ip4 ios 4.2.8 jb. thanks.

is it best to just let it restore and upgrade ota thru itunes and then jailbreak...
    Do not update ota!!!!!
    No no no!

If you must have ios6 then plug phone into iTunes and do a restore. You'll end up on 6.0.2 then you can tether jailbreak

You should IMHO just use redsnow to jump to 5.1.1 and get an untethered jailbreak
  8. Thread AuthorThread Author   #33  
    iPhone Newbie

i was restoring thru itunes for 6.0.1 but it was taking too long, so stopped it..

I download ios 5.1.1 and 6.0.1( don't get me wrong i tried to download 6.0.1 several times just to get the phone jailbroken and going, especially the owner of the phone is my 15 year son) and after its extracted, the files are all seperated, did i not downloaded correctly, doesn't suppose to stay in one file within the ios folder? did forget to rename it?
    iMore Pro

iOS Version

i was restoring thru itunes for 6.0.1 but it was taking too long, so stopped it..

I download ios 5.1.1 and 6.0.1( don't get me wrong i tried to download 6.0.1 several times just to get the phone jailbroken and going, especially the owner of the phone is my 15 year son) and after its extracted, the files are all seperated, did i not downloaded correctly, doesn't suppose to stay in one file within the ios folder? did forget to rename it?
    Are you saying when you are going into iTunes and hitting restore, it won't work. Because that is the most simplest way to restore.

Firstly you don't need to extract the firmware file? If it downloads with .zip on the end, you just need to change the file extension to .IPSW. That's if you are downloading it yourself.

But restore the phone through iTunes, as it's the easiest way and then you can jailbreak it tethered with Redsn0w. However you will need to download iOS 6.0 for your device from here:

Then in redsn0w you need to point to IOS 6.0 firmware (this tricks it into thinking its IOS 6.0.1), by manually selecting an IPSW file. Then hit jailbreak, once finished. Manually select IPSW, point to IOS 6.0 firmware and then do a tethered boot.

Job done. But you can't get anywhere without restoring your phone to IOS 6.0.1 with iTunes which is the easiest part. If it is taking to long, just keep waiting.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  10. Thread AuthorThread Author   #35  
    iPhone Newbie

alright.. its finally done, updated and jailbroken. I just wanted to say thank you everyone for your valuable input advice,
    without it, i'd be still be pulling my hair out. thanks.

anthony
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12