Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

Question Unlock iPhone 4?

Hey, everybody. I've had an iPhone 4 for years, and it's been running on iOS 4.1 for years, and now I'm thinking abut updating it to iOS 6.1

It's currently unlocked to work with a T-Mobile SIM, and I want it t stay that way. Now, I don't know how it was unlocked before, since I took it t a shop where they unlocked fr me, but I moved and can't go to said shop. How do I unlock it t work with T-Mobile on iOS 6.1?
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

Default Re: Unlock iPhone 4?

If it is factory unlocked, you don't need to do anything. If it is unlocked from a jailbreak, that's another story. But you need to find out how it's unlocked first. I know there are several websites that can tell you whether your phone is locked or not from your IMEI.
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iPhone Nanite

It's not factory unlocked, that's all I can tell you.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

Then it's unlocked by jailbreak. Peruse the threads here in the jailbreak section and you'll find out how to restore without upgrading your baseband or updating your OS so that you can re-jailbreak and unlock.
    Thanked by:
    Azakeyz (01-01-2013)
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iPhone Nanite

Alright, thanks man.

Global Posts
    2,458 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Unlock iPhone 4?

I just want to note that if you are unsure on any step, please ask here or on the dev team blog before you attempt to update. Once the baseband is updated, it cannot be undone and I would hate to see you lock out your phone.

iPhone 5 ✲ iPad 3 WiFi ✲ Macbook Pro running Lion 10.8.2 ✲ Xbox 360 ✲ Nintendo 3DS ✲ PS3

Beamed from a galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk!
    iMore Forum Moderator
    iPhone 5s ✲ Macbook Pro running Mavericks 10.9 ✲ Apple TV 2nd Gen ✲ Xbox 360 ✲ Nintendo 3DS ✲ PS3

​@laelipoo on Twitter & App.netiMore's 20k Post Challenge
    iPhone Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Azakeyz View Post
    Hey, everybody. I've had an iPhone 4 for years, and it's been running on iOS 4.1 for years, and now I'm thinking abut updating it to iOS 6.1

It's currently unlocked to work with a T-Mobile SIM, and I want it t stay that way. Now, I don't know how it was unlocked before, since I took it t a shop where they unlocked fr me, but I moved and can't go to said shop. How do I unlock it t work with T-Mobile on iOS 6.1?
    Upgrading an iPhone returns the lock status in most cases;mine was too and after I upgraded my iPhone4 ;I unlocked my mobile using the remote unlocking service from Superunlockcodes.com and removed the network lock.You also can use their service to unlock your mobile.
    iMore Newbie

Default Unlock iPhone 4?

Just use a custom IPSW to upgrade and preserve your unlocked baseband probably 1.59. Check settings / about / modem to confirm. Lots of instructions online on how to do the custom upgrade and then jailbreak with evasi0n.