Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

Default Anyone know of an unlocking service in Japan?

I'm in the navy and I have a 4s with sprint was wondering if there's a unlocking service in Japan or would it be better off to get a pre paid phone in Japan I would like to be able to talk to my wife and daughter while being in Japan gonna be there for at least 2 months... Leaving on the 3rd of jan...
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,237 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.4/6.1

Quote Originally Posted by jnew619 View Post
    I'm in the navy and I have a 4s with sprint was wondering if there's a unlocking service in Japan or would it be better off to get a pre paid phone in Japan I would like to be able to talk to my wife and daughter while being in Japan gonna be there for at least 2 months... Leaving on the 3rd of jan...

Sprint will be able to unlock it for u for free. Just tell them u are being deployed to Japan, the may ask for a copy of ur orders but they'll do it for free. Good luck, and stay safe over seas
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iMore Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by rdiddy_25 View Post
    Sprint will be able to unlock it for u for free. Just tell them u are being deployed to Japan, the may ask for a copy of ur orders but they'll do it for free. Good luck, and stay safe over seas
    They told me I can unlock it myself that all they can do is suspend it while I'm gone should I call again?
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    iMore Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by rdiddy_25 View Post
    They told me that they will suspend it while I'm gone and that I can unlock it myself Since my account had a spending limit That the 4s has a SIM card in it already all I have to do is buy an international card
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,237 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.4/6.1

Quote Originally Posted by jnew619 View Post
    They told me that they will suspend it while I'm gone and that I can unlock it myself Since my account had a spending limit That the 4s has a SIM card in it already all I have to do is buy an international card

Call back and talk with retention dept or a supervisor, they have to unlock it. All carriers have a military clause.
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    iMore Intermediate

Said there's no way around it since I haven't had the account for 18 months yet that there's no way around it...
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,237 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.4/6.1

Then I would suggest u purchase an unlock online for less than $10 and use a local sim there. Will be cheaper. And have sprint suspend the line, so u aren't charged while ur gone.