The Jailbroken Fix-It-All Guide

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
the greatest thing about being jailbroken is the sheer amount of customization and personal preferences you can add to your iDevice, this however is also the worst thing about being jailbroken. With so many possibilities it is easy to cause conflicts and raise serious issues on your device, but fear not! the answers are here!

The first step of trouble shooting is replicating the problem, make sure you actually have a problem:

RESPRING OR REBOOT

To troubleshoot i highly reccomend sbsettings. there is a section within sbsettings that allows you to disable mobile substrate tweaks. by disabling rather than uninstalling you save yourself time and energy.
on springboard find sbsettings app, open it and scroll down to the last section titled system wide options and select mobile substrate add ons.
once open read the red warning! basically dont uninstalll tweaks when they are disabled in mobile substrate.
you will see a list of all the substrate tweaks and a toggle for on and off. always disable only one at a time, that way you will know which particular tweak is causing the issue. when you exit sbsettigns after turning off a tweak your phone will respring.

Identify the timing of the problem, did it happen after you just installed a new tweak, does it happen when you get a message, does it happen when you bring up the switcher or switch to lockscreen or click on a link or a specific app.
This is where you start, in the case of it starting after you just installed a tweak, disable that tweak, see if problem is fixed.
if it happens after every message you get start with your messaging tweaks, did you just install bitesms or intelliscreenx or another texting tweak?
if you are having springboard issues such as missing icons, or no scrolling, start with things like folderenhancer or gridlock or infinidock/folder or barrel roll or gravity.
the process of identifying the offending tweak isnt always easy and you might not get it right on the first time. you will however find the problem tweak, and you will be able to fix your idevice all by yourself!
once you have identified the problematic tweak, you need to re-enable it in sbsettings before you head over to cydia to remove it.

if you keep on crashing upon reaching springboard there is a method of putting your phone into safemode.
boot up the phone while holding down the volume up key. this will disable all of mobile substrate, but allow cydia to function. typically when you run into this issue it is because of a tweak that you have just installed! therefore go into cydia and remove that recently installed tweak.

if you have done something truly terrible and your phone will not even boot past the apple logo, even if you start it in safemode then you may need to restore. keep in mind, currently (mid december 2012) if you restore you may not be able to jailbreak again! so try everything possible before getting into a restore state of mind! if you are going to restore and really love your jailbreak make yourself aware of the current jailbreak situation before restoring!!!! quickest and easiest way to restore a jailborken idevice is to put it into DFU mode by connecting phone to pc, opening itunes, powering down phone, then holding the power button down for three seconds, then WITHOUT RELEASING POWER hold the home button down for ten seconds, then RELEASE ONLY THE POWER BUTTON, continue to hold home down for 15 seconds. itunes will recognize your device in recovery mode and install the latest version of ios available for your iDevice

Thanks to idonev

(i would appreciate feedback on this guide negative and positive, let me know if i can/should add more)

Last edited:

Tanbam

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
For those phones that can't get past the boot logo, there may be still some hope before throwing in the towel and restoring. There is usually a window of time when you can SSH (or connect using iFunBox) during the reboot and navigate to /Library/MobileSubstrate/DynamicLibraries/ and rename file extensions until it boots.

kaiser147

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Thanks so much for this!!! I didn't want to go through the hassle of uninstalling each of my tweaks one by one to find the culprit. Instead I dealt with the tortuous crashes for weeks afraid to touch my phone. The SBSettings method made it easy. I just disabled a handful of tweaks at a time until I pared it down to find out that PopupBlocker was the one making my days a living hell (no disrespect, a fine app, just not ready to play nice with others.) Now I can be happy again.

anonSA

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
For those phones that can't get past the boot logo, there may be still some hope before throwing in the towel and restoring. There is usually a window of time when you can SSH (or connect using iFunBox) during the reboot and navigate to /Library/MobileSubstrate/DynamicLibraries/ and rename file extensions until it boots.

Tanbam

i created this account to thank you. you are my new hero. your tip was perfect.

T Hassan

May 23, 2013
Visit site
Hi there

My problem is different as the error occurred after linking the phone to xcode and using for development, after doing this I can only use safe mode. I cant find anything on the net about this or how to revert whatever it is that xcode did to my phone. Nothing in the crash reports under root. Can someone please help me?

ProfesorPizza

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
I have an ipod touch 4th gen running 6.1.3 and the springboard wont open any icons. if I get a notification and slide that the app opens just fine. im pretty sure this is a result of installing the free bigify version and then everything went haywire. is there any way to either open cydia without using the icon or to just delete bigify without the ipod?

Mardav Jain

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
I have a jailbroken ipad 4 on ios 7.0.1 . The lock screen works perfectly. I can even take photos and delete them using the camera shortcut on the lock screen. As soon as i enter the password and unlock the device, it crashes. I have tried booting up with e volume buton pressesd. Again it boots up fine , but after entering the password my ipad crashes

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I have a jailbroken ipad 4 on ios 7.0.1 . The lock screen works perfectly. I can even take photos and delete them using the camera shortcut on the lock screen. As soon as i enter the password and unlock the device, it crashes. I have tried booting up with e volume buton pressesd. Again it boots up fine , but after entering the password my ipad crashes

Sbsettings is dead on ios7.
Sounds like you have a password tweak causing an issue?
You should still be able to boot into substrate disabled mode though. Which should get you past the crash after entering pass code?
You sure you are holding volume up while booting?

Mardav Jain

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
I am , i tried it like 10 times coz i didnt want to do a restore. My ipad had been having problems like for a month. I can only charge my ipad when the wire is stretched almost to the breaking point , as soon i relax the wire , it stops charging. Also as i unlock the device , i can see the application just for a second before it crashes. I have the walking dead the game season 2 save file i dont want to lose . Even after the backup, i lose like 50% of my stuff. Help pls

Ovid Naso

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site

You sir, is a genius, i googled the entire worldwide for a solution, i will keep this page bookmarked for ever, thank you very very much you saved the day
created this account as well, just to appreciate your help

larster363636

Oct 27, 2016
Visit site
If i may, let me throw a wrench into this convo. My (finally jailbroken (nightmare in itself)) ipad 1 1st gen ios 5.1.1 was crashing before it was even jailbroken. Any thoughts as to what caused that? :confused: Seems it is even doing it more so. And yes, i now have sbsettings on it. Thank You.