iPad 2 5.1.1 Jailbreak Question

AmpedPotato

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

Newbie here. I only just got an iPhone 4S (factory unlocked on T-Mobile, $650) back in August. In a way I wish I waited for the 5 unlocked, but considering that I only had a Nokia 6030 before (ROFL) I couldn't wait much longer. Overall I don't care about the extra half-inch, T-Mobile doesn't even have LTE (only just now getting HSPA+ in my area) so yeah. Made the mistake of "upgrading" it to iOS 6.0.1 though :( . R.I.P. jailbreak (only for now, hopefully.)

I love the iPhone so much (first iPhone ever) that I bought a "cheap" iPad 2 32GB WiFi refurb for $400. It came with 5.1.1 (thankfully!) I love having a "proper" Maps app again. The YouTube app is a lot better than Google's app as well (doesn't even have background play, wth?) I know that there is JASMINE for iOS 6.0+, works great on my iPhone. But I digress.

So now for my actual questions. Sorry if these are questions that have already been answered a million times. I checked out the FAQ (albeit briefly) but couldn't find the answer to my specific questions.

My questions are, if I were to jailbreak my iPad 2 5.1.1, is there any way to restore iOS 5.1.1 if something were to go awry? Or say I didn't find jailbreaking worth it, could I get back iOS 5.1.1 unjailbroken? Is it really worth it to jailbreak? What are the major, "can't-live-without" features that jailbreaking gives you?

Thanks!

haitran2001

Banned
Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
I guess you can by using dfu mode not really sure but jailbreak it if you want to restore it to the original firmeware I think you need to use slob or something like that in redsn0w extra it should convert the custom firmware to a official firmware that I heard from the Internet and when your restoring it click restore while holding shift and choose your firmware and while the device is in dfu mode

haitran2001

Banned
Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
And the benefits of jailbreaking is
Amazing themes like winterboard dreamboard
Amazing hacks e.g IPA cracker
AmaZing tweaks boot logo changer
Download files in the actual phone and access it through Ifile
Play PSX and GBA games and NES I think never tried.
And much more to look at.
It's good but a rish for bricking your device and sometimes freezing issues and spinning wheel of death.

Last edited by a moderator:

iDonev

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
And the benefits of jailbreaking is
-REDACTED-
Amazing themes like winterboard dreamboard
Amazing hacks e.g -REDACTED-
AmaZing tweaks boot logo changer
Download files in the actual phone and access it through Ifile
Play PSX and GBA games and NES I think never tried.
And much more to look at.
It's good but a rish for bricking your device and sometimes freezing issues and spinning wheel of death.

Remove this pirate junk from your post, haitran2001! We support our devs and don't steal!
PS: The fact that you put "free games" on the top of your list deeply concerns me...

AmpedPotato, you jailbreak by downloading the latest version of Absinthe 2. It's a one click jailbreak.As to restoring to 5.1.1, the chances are very slim: once you jailbreak, get the latest version of redsn0w, go to the Extras section and then go to SHSH blobs and press fetch. Follow the instructions and by the end you'll have the blobs that are already on the device, or you'll meet an error along me way. Good luck!

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Also the risk of "bricking your device" is LESS THAN SLIM TO NONE...

You can ALWAYS plug your phone into iTunes and restore as new.

iBradA5

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
If you jailbroke your iPad 2 on 5.1.1, to get the jailbreak off you would have to restore your iPad and it will only restore to iOS 6 because that is all that Apple is signing. However, you can restore to iOS 5.1.1 on one occasion: having the 4.x SHSH blobs AND the 5.x blobs. The iPad 2 is the only A5 device with a jailbreak, but in order to downgrade from 6.x to 5.x, you do need 4.x blobs. If you have not jailbroken on 4.x then I doubt you have those blobs. You can always plug it in to Tiny Umbrella and see what you have though. Short answer: probably not.

AmpedPotato

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks guys! A lot more help than I expected. I figured those were total newb questions and I'd get beat to a pulp for not searching for the answers. Think I'm going to go ahead and jailbreak. I want to see what all the fuss is about. I suppose that as long as I don't just go installing a bunch of junk without researching it first then I shouldn't have to do any restores. Really hope the 6.0.1 jailbreak comes out soon! I will be checking that jailbrea.kr site everyday as well as this site, of course.

linsiris

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Actually the ONE thing I really like about JB (and miss not having on iPhone 5) is the SBSettings. Love just to slide my finger and turn on or off some settings even from locked screen.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2