IP4 on 6.0.1 but have 5.1 blobs in Tinyumbrella can I downgrade?

humanmusic

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
I don't recall what message number it was. 3194 was one I think. I have 5.1 saved on TU, went to recovery, started the engine(Ive done this 100 times on various iphones but never for 5.0 or over) and opened itunes and chose 5.1....got errors, I ever tried dfu and dfu pwner and used a snowbreeze but nothing would work.

iDonev

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
In redsn0w, stitch the blob to the corresponding firmware, clear you hosts file/TinyUmbrella, enter pwned DFU mode and restore from the newly created firmware.

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Maybe just try and edit your hosts file manuly and skip the tiny umbrella.
That's how I eventually
Made it work...
Manually edited hosts file
Stitched together firmware
Put phone into pwned dfu
Shift + restore in iTunes
-1 error after restore process
Kick out of recovery using redsnow
Fresh 5.1.1. :)

humanmusic

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
I tried that but it's not working. Can you describe the whole process from the start? Maybe I messed up the stitching part...If you had ip4 with 6.0.1 but TU and cydia had 5.1 blobs, what would you do?

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
You need to
1st. Download the firmware you want to be on. ( you must also have blobs for said firmware)
You keep saying 5.1, do you literally mean 5.1 or 5.0.1 or 5.1.1?
Step2. Use redsnow to stitch together the firmware with the blobs that are specific to your device.
Step 3. Edit your host files to point to cydias servers. It is theorized that having signed blogs means you don't have to touch host files, I did edit host files and was successful, so I say do it.
Step 4. Hook phone up to computer, power down phone, open red snow, select option for enter PWNED DFU. Follow redsnow to get your phone into PWNED dfu state.
Step5. Open iTunes shift+restore. Select your freshly created custom firmware.
Step6. You will get an error when the restore completes. It will be unknown -1.
Step 7. Open up redsnow select kick device out of recovery. Follow instructions, it's same as when you did PWNED dfu.
When done there restart phone and find that you are on a clean install of whatever firmware you chose.

This little tutorial doesn't take into account anything about baseband crap. If you are doing a software unlock you need to take extra steps to preserve your baseband.

If it doesn't work, if you get an error other than -1 during restore then go back and read what I have just posted and do exactly what I said. I have no other advice or options than what I have just posted. In summation what I just posted is what works, if it doesn't work you did something wrong, and if you think that you do everything right, but it didn't work, you are in fact wrong! You didn't do it right.

humanmusic

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
You need to
1st. Download the firmware you want to be on. ( you must also have blobs for said firmware)
You keep saying 5.1, do you literally mean 5.1 or 5.0.1 or 5.1.1?

Step2. Use redsnow to stitch together the firmware with the blobs that are specific to your device.

I chose the option where it fetches the blobs from cydia and stitches them in and makes a custom ISPW...is that right?

Step 3. Edit your host files to point to cydias servers. It is theorized that having signed blogs means you don't have to touch host files, I did edit host files and was successful, so I say do it.

Yes I did that, and rebooted to make sure the system recognized the change.

Step 4. Hook phone up to computer, power down phone, open red snow, select option for enter PWNED DFU. Follow redsnow to get your phone into PWNED dfu state.
Step5. Open iTunes shift+restore. Select your freshly created custom firmware.
Step6. You will get an error when the restore completes. It will be unknown -1.

I got 3194...a basic error that means you can't install that firmware.

Step 7. Open up redsnow select kick device out of recovery. Follow instructions, it's same as when you did PWNED dfu.
When done there restart phone and find that you are on a clean install of whatever firmware you chose.

I followed all that, just won't work.

This little tutorial doesn't take into account anything about baseband crap. If you are doing a software unlock you need to take extra steps to preserve your baseband.

If it doesn't work, if you get an error other than -1 during restore then go back and read what I have just posted and do exactly what I said. I have no other advice or options than what I have just posted. In summation what I just posted is what works, if it doesn't work you did something wrong, and if you think that you do everything right, but it didn't work, you are in fact wrong! You didn't do it right.

Yeah but what was wrong then? All I can think of is the stitching isn't being done correctly. I've installed 100's of custom firmwares from snowbreeze so the concept is simplistic to me but this stitching thing so far hasn't worked.

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
i would recommend that you save the blobs directly to your computer. then try stitching them together again. and making a completely new stitched (custom) firmware.
the 3194 error means that your hosts are not redirecting as they should be. or your phone isnt in the pwned dfu state.
did redsnow tell you that it was succesful in placing the device into pwned dfu and tell you that it is now safe to restore in itunes??
when you edited the hosts file, did you save it as "all files" or as a text document?
mac or pc?

humanmusic

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
i would recommend that you save the blobs directly to your computer. then try stitching them together again. and making a completely new stitched (custom) firmware.

Not clear on how to save them to my computer.

the 3194 error means that your hosts are not redirecting as they should be. or your phone isnt in the pwned dfu state.
did redsnow tell you that it was succesful in placing the device into pwned dfu and tell you that it is now safe to restore in itunes??

Yes.

when you edited the hosts file, did you save it as "all files" or as a text document?
mac or pc?

Text, PC.

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
its not really a hosts file then. you need to save it as "all files" when saving it.
to do that you will have to open it as an administrator, usually you would right click and open as administrator to acheive this.

Capture.PNG

it will look like that, just named hosts (with no extension) and listed as file

humanmusic

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
its not really a hostgs file then. you need to save it as "all files" when saving it.
to do that you will have to open it as an administrator, usually you would right click and open as administrator to acheive this.

I'll try it but I have downgraded more iphones the way I did it more times than I can count but anything is worth a shot at this point. Thanks for the help, will let you know what happens.

humanmusic

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
Two issues. I don't see how to save blobs to my computer, and the hosts file is only a notepad file and I have no option to "save as all files" and there is an admin issue though I am logged in as Admin. I can only change it using the option in TU.

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Does tiny umbrella not give you the option to save all blobs locally?
And you need to open the hosts file using notepad, but you need to open it as an administrator regardless of wether or not you are signed on as an administrator. Then make the necessary changes, then when it's time to save you need to click on the drop down box and choose the all files options. Then when you save it will just be named hosts