Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

Default Iphone 3GS Unlocking Question

Hi
    I recently had my phone unlocked so that I could use it abroad. After I had done this the guy told me that I wouldn't be able to upgrade the operating system because the phone wouldn't work. I don't know what this means he did - I assume some kind of basic unlock - but it's now causing me problems as apps are being developed, even those I already have, and won't work on my phone.
    I'd like to remedy this - even if it means wiping the phone and starting again - but I need to make sure that the phone will remain unlocked
    Any advice?

Thanks
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,862 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

If it was a original att phone .. Then I would buy a factory unlock from unlock fusion then you can be on the latest OS and unlocked without being jb

The reason the guy says dont update is because once you update the software it wipes out the jailbreak and unlock
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    877 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Re: Iphone 3GS Unlocking Question

I'd love to get feedback from people who are software unlocked with a semi-tethered jailbreak: if you reboot without redsn0w and go into vanilla iOS, do you retain ultrasn0w's unlock? If so that would be the optimal (and free) solution for EL2418's predicament.
    If you have jailbreak woes, you can iMessage me at iDonev@me.com. I'll try to help (provided I have time to spare).
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    iPhone Nanite

Default Re: Iphone 3GS Unlocking Question

Hi
    Thanks for your suggestion - is there any chance that unlocking this phone with a factory unlock will cause further problems?
    I'm happy to pay for this as long as I don't end up with a phone that's unusable
    Thanks
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,862 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

Quote Originally Posted by EL2418 View Post
    Hi
    Thanks for your suggestion - is there any chance that unlocking this phone with a factory unlock will cause further problems?
    I'm happy to pay for this as long as I don't end up with a phone that's unusable
    Thanks
    No you do the factory unlock and they will tell you what to do all you have to do is restore in iTunes this will update you to 6.0.1 and you will get a message saying you are unlocked directly in iTunes after that you can use any sim you want