Upgrade iPhone 4 on iOS 4.0.1 to 5.1.1

ne1s

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi all, I am hoping someone can advise the best way to upgrade my jailbroken iPhone 4 currently on iOS 4.0.1 (baseband 01.59.00) to iOS 5.1.1 please, keeping it jailbroken and unlocked (i believe it is unlocked but am waiting for my micro sim to check). If possible I would like an untethered jailbreak.

Many thanks in advance for any help you can give.

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
well open up cydia and see if you have your shsh blobs saved for 5.1.1
if so the next step is to download redsnow b13 (i think you need that version), tiny umbrella, and then you also need to find a clean download of ios 5.1.1
at this point you are going to need to stitch together a custom firmware using redsnow, using the fresh clean 5.1.1 and your blobs which are saved on cydias servers, also in your case you need to preserve baseband. after the custom stitched firmware is created you are going to have to start itunes, youre going to have to start tiny umbrella and you are going to have to turn on the tss server.
at this point, again, using redsnow, put your phone into pwned dfu mode, then using itunes right click on restore and select your newly created custom stitched firmware. the restore will start, and PROBABLY will fail at the very end (THIS IS OK). after the restore completes use redsnow to kick your phone out of recovery, your phone will appear to reboot, and when it starts up again it will be on ios 5.1.1 with your preserved baseband. then jailbreak away.

ne1s

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi 3cit, I don't have shsh blobs saved for 5.1.1, only for 4.2.1, 4.1, 4.0.2, 4.2b3. What do I do, can I still update to 5.1.1 somehow maintaining my baseband for unlock or can I wait for iOS 6 to be hacked and then update from 4.0.1 straight to 6.0.x ?

Thanks again for your help.

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Nope. Sorry. You need specific blobs for your device at the desired firmware.
iOS 6 already had a tethered jailbreak for the iPhone 4. But I would wait for a while because as far as I know, most tweaks don't work that great for it yet.
But in theory you can update to ios6 and preserve your baseband using redsnow