Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes
    iMore Newbie

Default Re: Frustrating: Restoring iOS 5.1.1 on iPhone 4?

The RedSnow Stitched CFW variant was not working. So I followed the SnowBreeze alternative.

Thank you. I hit THANKS button and followed this process and now have iOS 511b/r1 on the iPhone 4 - Setup as New Phone (as per 2nd Quoted post - From Layout related thread).

I have now Cydia and AppSync 5.0 running on the phone.

Now I am planning to follow the process given in the 2nd quoted post.. for a RESTORE which maintains the SpringBoard, Apps, Folders and all other Layouts.

Now, I am finding this a bit of a Mixup/ Confusing.
    The ORDER in which the following two are to be restored is different in both the quoted posts:
    - Cydia Apps (via PKGBackup) - CA
    - JB Apps (via iTunes 'Restore from Backup' + AppSync) - JBA

Now, I am very keen in having them syncback and LARGELY MAINTAIN the "App & Folder" Layout on SpringBoard.

How can I make that happen for sure?

Which RESTORE order would be better?
    - CA > JBA
    - JBA > CA

or a Stacked Triple Step - CA > JBA > CA .... OR... JBA > CA > JBA

Add to that other LAYOUT SAVING Alternatives that I have backups for??
    - Layout as saved in and from iTunes Backup Restore
    - Using Springtomize, FolderEnhancer & Grid etc LAYOUT backups? In the end or middle?
    - BackIt!
    -XBackup
    - SpringBack
    - Springtomize

Thoughts and Suggestions please?

Quote Originally Posted by MrElectrifyer View Post
    :nono: Wrong approach

Here's the appropriate approach to upgrading:
    1.) First you'll have to open Cydia and ensure it has your SHSH blob for iOS 5.1.1 save, if not, your only hope is to upgrade to the latest 5.X SHSH it (Cydia) lists at the top of its home page (keep note of it). If no 5.X firmware is listed, you're out of luck; skip to step 11.)

2.) Backup your device using Package Backup from Cydia; this is the safefest way to get all your settings back while avoiding issues in the future (restoring from iTunes backup is well know to cause problems)

3.) Download the latest versions of both and

4.) Ensure iTunes is closed then connect your device to your computer, open up TinyUmbrella, select your device under its "Connected Devices" tree menu, click the "Advanced" tab and ensure "Request SHSH From Cydia" is checked. Keeping note of the "Save SHSH Directory", click the "Save SHSH" button

5.) Open Sn0breeze, use it to download the iOS firmware corresponding to the latest 5.X you kept a note of from step 1.). Once the download is complete, use it (in iFaith mode) to create a Signed CFW of the latest 5.X SHSH blob you saw in Cydia

6.) After the CFW has been created, follow Sn0breeze's instructions to get your device into Pwned DFU mode.

7.) Open up iTunes and it should detect your device in recovery mode; hold down the "Shift"/"Option" key then click the "Restore" button, browse for your SIGNED custom firmware and let iTunes upgrade and jailbreak your iPhone.

8.) When the process is complete, set up your iPhone as a NEW device, if you don't use cracked apps, skip to step 10.) otherwise proceed to step 9.)

9.) Open cydia, add the following repo and install AppSync from it (the official Hackulous repo is dead, incase you didn't know):
    repo.ipastore.me

10.) Sync all your desired apps from iTunes to your iPhone, reinstall PkgBackup from Cydia and use it to restore your repos, tweaks and app/tweak settings

11.) Done

Quote Originally Posted by Home User View Post
    This is how I did & work fine for me many many time:
    -Backup (using iTunes), + Chinese soft-91pc (Contact & others)
    -Backup Springboard layout
    \User\Library\SpringBoard\*

-Restore
    -setup as new iphone (for 4s Absinthe/Cinject to work)
    -JB
    -install Mobile Terminal & changes passwords (alpine)
    -install Appsync
    -Restore from 91pc backup
    -Install Springtomized 2 (I reduced my icons, column & row), respring
    -Install FolderEnhancer (Reboot, resprint)
    -right click the device (iphone), restore from previous backup
    -I let it run while I go to sleep (I add lots of abs & take age to restore all).
    -Copy back contents of the \User\Library\SpringBoard\*
    -Install back gridlock & all setting & layout back to normal & reliable if you do correctly.

Good Luck.
    PS:
    - I did have Springtomize 1 on iOS 4.2.1 and have its Layout Backups and would be adding Springtomize 2 on iOS 5.1.1
    - I have not used FolderEnchancer so far so not sure if I will use it / need it / or do you recommend it?
    - Does the 91pcBackup do something special here to back/ restore?
    iMore Elite

iOS Version

Default Frustrating: Restoring iOS 5.1.1 on iPhone 4?

Well stop talking about appsync. You should actually probably edit that out.
    Also I'm pretty sure you are boned with the layout.
    And as far as getting all your tweaks back, it depends on if you had a cydia backup tweak that didn't get erased. During restore as new...
    iPhone Nanite

I'm also having the same issue with downgrading to ios 5.1.1 and Im so glad I found this site in google, . It really help me alot.
    iMore Nanite

i am using Iphone 4 on 4.2.1 want to update to 5.1.1 tried all methods.. one major problem with Stitching Blobs.. i made custom firmware.. but there it gives error in stitching couldnt be verified etc.. please help in this step will be greatly appraised .. thank you
    iMore Nanite

my friend having iphone 4 ios 5.1 want to update to 5.1.1 also doesnt update.. even Blobs couldnt be found.. please help.. i had many error.. 1600,1601,2005,11 etc.. at last progressed attempt i got little light on my iphone4 and got error 11. please do help, my

Global Posts
    2,458 Global Posts
    iOS Version

If you go to redsn0w and ask it to verify your blobs (shsh, extras, verify) does it say they are valid?
    iMore Forum Moderator
    iPhone 5s ✲ Macbook Pro running Mavericks 10.9 ✲ Apple TV 2nd Gen ✲ Xbox 360 ✲ Nintendo 3DS ✲ PS3

​@laelipoo on Twitter & App.netiMore's 20k Post Challenge
    iMore Nanite

it says no blobs found, APTicket is missing
    iMore Nanite

to get fresh blobs it says it probably stop singing it.. if not this.. to what version can i update my ios 4.3.1 and 5.1 on iphone 4 to get an unthethered jailbreak and unlock.. thank you

Global Posts
    2,458 Global Posts
    iOS Version

If you have no blobs, you cannot get any untethered jailbreak at this time.
    iMore Forum Moderator
    iPhone 5s ✲ Macbook Pro running Mavericks 10.9 ✲ Apple TV 2nd Gen ✲ Xbox 360 ✲ Nintendo 3DS ✲ PS3

​@laelipoo on Twitter & App.netiMore's 20k Post Challenge
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12