Confusing jailbreak community dynamic

shathis

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone ever thought for the most widely used singular mobile platform, Apple is sorely lacking in Jailbreak devs. The dev team and Geohot aside, I'm unaware of any others. Is iOS so hard to hack nobody even tries? I just find it weird given new android devices with 10000 users get rooted or broken in weeks. And even if we had 1% of their base, we'd still have tons of technically minded people.
It just seems statistically alone we should have more people on the issue than the dev team, for all their success, whom are well known for taking a very long time. I suppose I'm just wondering "where are all the hackers?"

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
apple isnt for hackers.
simple statement with broad meanings...
apples very foundation is ease of use. when you bought an apple computer it was the same thing forever, but of you bought a pc you could upgrade the ram or the graphics card etc... and it was like this for a long long time...
people who wanted something to work, and wanted it to work good, and wanted it to be easy became apple fans
and people who wanted to get it cheaper, wanted to be able to fix it, wanted to be able to upgrade it, became pc fans...
the same thing happened with phones. when these smart phones came out, iphone was so easy, and so intuitive and so THE SAME AS EVERY OTHER IPHONE, then the android os dropped and every andriod device is SO DIFFERENT than any other android device, so the same recipe followed
quick easy familiar, stick with apple
cheap, customizable, unique, go with droid
ALSO
i think you are greatly over estimating the "hacking" community with android.
there are a few people who work the exploits of droids, and the "script kiddies" do the rest, simply building off of known exploits done by a few true hackers. most droid roms are similar in nature to cydias themes. its just that droids have SO MANY different iterations of radios and kernels and the like that it seems more in depth... while ios has like 10 radios ever and like 3 kernels (i made that up, mostly, but it sounds right to me)
AND 1 person ever has cracked the ps3 and like 4-5 people have cracked the xbox360, and they have way more users than ios
hacking these devices is no joke, and it takes ALOT of time and effort and most people with these skills are making way to much money, or are way too important to care about stuff like this!

Sharma15

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Apple doesn't want to be associated with jailbreakers. Remember a whole back they wanted to lock all the jail token iOS devices? Yea that shows how much commitment apple has towards the JB community. They only take what they want and nothing else. Why do you think apple goes through SOO much trouble to seed iOS versions and patch up jailbreak exploits?

shathis

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I don't see apple as any more proactive than say Samsung in this regard, or Sony-- yet every iteration of the firmware upgrades have been thoroughly broken by their minuscule communities.

This is why I think there's a disconnect. While apple is not for hackers, they still exist. And not in small numbers. Did they all just say "let the dev team do it" and step off?
I guess that's where I see the reasonable dissonance.

shathis

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
apple isnt for hackers.
simple statement with broad meanings...
apples very foundation is ease of use. when you bought an apple computer it was the same thing forever, but of you bought a pc you could upgrade the ram or the graphics card etc... and it was like this for a long long time...
people who wanted something to work, and wanted it to work good, and wanted it to be easy became apple fans
and people who wanted to get it cheaper, wanted to be able to fix it, wanted to be able to upgrade it, became pc fans...
the same thing happened with phones. when these smart phones came out, iphone was so easy, and so intuitive and so THE SAME AS EVERY OTHER IPHONE, then the android os dropped and every andriod device is SO DIFFERENT than any other android device, so the same recipe followed
quick easy familiar, stick with apple
cheap, customizable, unique, go with droid
ALSO
i think you are greatly over estimating the "hacking" community with android.
there are a few people who work the exploits of droids, and the "script kiddies" do the rest, simply building off of known exploits done by a few true hackers. most droid roms are similar in nature to cydias themes. its just that droids have SO MANY different iterations of radios and kernels and the like that it seems more in depth... while ios has like 10 radios ever and like 3 kernels (i made that up, mostly, but it sounds right to me)
AND 1 person ever has cracked the ps3 and like 4-5 people have cracked the xbox360, and they have way more users than ios
hacking these devices is no joke, and it takes ALOT of time and effort and most people with these skills are making way to much money, or are way too important to care about stuff like this!

Frankly I'd be willing to pay directly for a promised jailbreak instead of the interminable delays the dev team goes through to rack up donations. A donation is nice but there's nothing like paying over the barrel to guarantee YOU GET THE GOODS YOURE laying down the cash for instead of a group willing to drag it out as long as possible when one guy does it over a weekend and embarrasses them.

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
well geoholt isnt exaclty a normal hacker. so the "one guy does it over a weekend" argument doesnt hold up. the exploit he found was missed by LITERALLY every other person in the world who worked on the A4 chip iphones...
the devs who release these exploits have school or jobs or families or other real world responsibilities. im pretty sure they arent doing this work for the donations...

Frankly tenebrae, you should learn to do the work yourself!
to me, you seem to be an ungrateful, self entitled twit, who thinks the jailbreak community works for you. also ill bet you have never donated to any of those groups.

all truth, i have never, nor will i ever, donate to the jailbreak community, and it frustrates me beyond belief at how long jailbreaks take to release.