What's the deal with unlocking

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
It can be easily done. I know the owners for CarrierUnlock.com and Cellunlock.net. Both good guys and very reliable. It will cost a fee of course.

cocochannel

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
It can be easily done. I know the owners for CarrierUnlock.com and Cellunlock.net. Both good guys and very reliable. It will cost a fee of course.
Thanks. Was it the case for all iphones that it had to be done for a fee? Theres no way to do it myself?

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Thanks. Was it the case for all iphones that it had to be done for a fee? Theres no way to do it myself?

Doing it yourself would require a software mod. I don't know how to do it. You would lose it on restores or possible software upgrades. If you go through a professional unlocker, the unlock stays permanent. Never lose it no matter what.

cctpitts01

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
running off what Garz said, You can unlock the iPhone 4s yourself but that would require you to Jailbreak your iPhone 4s and getting the unlock through Cydia (Thats if it has been updated to unlock the 4s yet) but with doing it that way you run the risk that if a software update comes out and you decide to update you will lose the jailbreak and unlock until they release a new jailbreak. i believe the other option that you would have to pay the fee for would unlock the phone permanently but i'm not sure as i have a 4s on Sprint.

RodneyJ725

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site

Hi, Garz. I know at one time in the past, such companies lost their ability to unlock iPhones. Are they now able to again? (crossing my fingers they will be able to unlock "the new iphone" when it's released).

vietalogy

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Right now iPhone 3, 3G, 4, 4s can be factory unlocked by a vendor. I got mine unlocked for around $15 off of eBay. As for the new iPhone I'm sure it will be awhile before they are able to be unlocked.

Via Tapatalk iPhone 4S

gvndeb60

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
Right now iPhone 3, 3G, 4, 4s can be factory unlocked by a vendor. I got mine unlocked for around $15 off of eBay. As for the new iPhone I'm sure it will be awhile before they are able to be unlocked.

Via Tapatalk iPhone 4S

I did the same, spent $15 and it was unlocked in about 24 hours. Very easy

realpatmurphy

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I just did this on Tuesday 9/04/12. Called up AT&T after being a loyal customer for the past 5 years. Asked for an unlock for my iPhone 4s (still on contract, resigned a new 2 year back in October 2011; but have been making all my payments on time) and then they sent the unlock request through Apple. The only thing I had to do was restore my iPhone in iTunes (thats when Apple sent the permanent unlock through) and my iPhone became unlocked! Super easy to do, its a permanent unlock (doing any updates, restores, etc from now on will not effect the unlock). Its worth a shot! and they didn't require me to extend my contract or pay anything.

RodneyJ725

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
I just did this on Tuesday 9/04/12. Called up AT&T after being a loyal customer for the past 5 years. Asked for an unlock for my iPhone 4s (still on contract, resigned a new 2 year back in October 2011; but have been making all my payments on time) and then they sent the unlock request through Apple. The only thing I had to do was restore my iPhone in iTunes (thats when Apple sent the permanent unlock through) and my iPhone became unlocked! Super easy to do, its a permanent unlock (doing any updates, restores, etc from now on will not effect the unlock). Its worth a shot! and they didn't require me to extend my contract or pay anything.

I did the same for my iPhone 4: called up AT&T. I've been a customer since Cingular days (10+yrs) but AT&T still made me wait 3 weeks longer for my 2yr contract to be over... I guess my 10+yrs was not enough to get them to let me have the unlock just a couple weeks sooner...

realpatmurphy

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I did the same for my iPhone 4: called up AT&T. I've been a customer since Cingular days (10+yrs) but AT&T still made me wait 3 weeks longer for my 2yr contract to be over... I guess my 10+yrs was not enough to get them to let me have the unlock just a couple weeks sooner...

A white lie may have helped... that I'm going to travel internationally and would still like to use my phone while on vacation... at least thats what I said.

trmoney24

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
are you guys unlocking your phones to sell at a higher value afterwards? or just wanting to use it with another network. i am about to upgrade to the iPhone 5. I see some unlock codes for $10-15 on ebay. Figured its worth spending if i can cell my iPhone 4 for a higher value unlocked.

RodneyJ725

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
are you guys unlocking your phones to sell at a higher value afterwards? or just wanting to use it with another network. i am about to upgrade to the iPhone 5. I see some unlock codes for $10-15 on ebay. Figured its worth spending if i can cell my iPhone 4 for a higher value unlocked.

For me: I wanted it unlocked as I travel to Asia (primarily Singapore) a lot, and it's simply easier and cheaper to use a sim card from the country I'm in.

vietalogy

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I unlock because I do travel to Asia so I can use my phone there also selling price is just a bonus.

Via Tapatalk iPhone 4S

Ozmodiar

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
I have a 4S on Sprint...is it possible for me to get mine unlocked so I can use an AT&T SIM? I get AWFUL coverage where I work, so I was able to get a Prepaid AT&T SIM, it would make my life a lot easier.

gvndeb60

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site

I did mine for resale value. I used Unlock Fusion on eBay, was $15 and is now $9.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lakeland Ghost