Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    123 Global Posts

Default What's the deal with unlocking

How to unlock an AT&T 4S???
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    13,158 Global Posts
    iOS Version

It can be easily done. I know the owners for CarrierUnlock.com and Cellunlock.net. Both good guys and very reliable. It will cost a fee of course.
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    123 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Garz View Post
    It can be easily done. I know the owners for CarrierUnlock.com and Cellunlock.net. Both good guys and very reliable. It will cost a fee of course.
    Thanks. Was it the case for all iphones that it had to be done for a fee? Theres no way to do it myself?
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    13,158 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by cocochannel View Post
    Thanks. Was it the case for all iphones that it had to be done for a fee? Theres no way to do it myself?
    Doing it yourself would require a software mod. I don't know how to do it. You would lose it on restores or possible software upgrades. If you go through a professional unlocker, the unlock stays permanent. Never lose it no matter what.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    186 Global Posts

running off what Garz said, You can unlock the iPhone 4s yourself but that would require you to Jailbreak your iPhone 4s and getting the unlock through Cydia (Thats if it has been updated to unlock the 4s yet) but with doing it that way you run the risk that if a software update comes out and you decide to update you will lose the jailbreak and unlock until they release a new jailbreak. i believe the other option that you would have to pay the fee for would unlock the phone permanently but i'm not sure as i have a 4s on Sprint.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6 Beta

Quote Originally Posted by Garz View Post
    Hi, Garz. I know at one time in the past, such companies lost their ability to unlock iPhones. Are they now able to again? (crossing my fingers they will be able to unlock "the new iphone" when it's released).
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rodney

@iCraftwork
    @RodneyJ725
    +RodneyJ725
    Facebook/RodneyJ725
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    937 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Right now iPhone 3, 3G, 4, 4s can be factory unlocked by a vendor. I got mine unlocked for around $15 off of eBay. As for the new iPhone I'm sure it will be awhile before they are able to be unlocked.

Via Tapatalk iPhone 4S
    Twitter: @vietalogy
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    886 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vietalogy View Post
    Right now iPhone 3, 3G, 4, 4s can be factory unlocked by a vendor. I got mine unlocked for around $15 off of eBay. As for the new iPhone I'm sure it will be awhile before they are able to be unlocked.

Via Tapatalk iPhone 4S
    I did the same, spent $15 and it was unlocked in about 24 hours. Very easy
    iPhone Newbie

I just did this on Tuesday 9/04/12. Called up AT&T after being a loyal customer for the past 5 years. Asked for an unlock for my iPhone 4s (still on contract, resigned a new 2 year back in October 2011; but have been making all my payments on time) and then they sent the unlock request through Apple. The only thing I had to do was restore my iPhone in iTunes (thats when Apple sent the permanent unlock through) and my iPhone became unlocked! Super easy to do, its a permanent unlock (doing any updates, restores, etc from now on will not effect the unlock). Its worth a shot! and they didn't require me to extend my contract or pay anything.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6 Beta

Quote Originally Posted by realpatmurphy View Post
    I just did this on Tuesday 9/04/12. Called up AT&T after being a loyal customer for the past 5 years. Asked for an unlock for my iPhone 4s (still on contract, resigned a new 2 year back in October 2011; but have been making all my payments on time) and then they sent the unlock request through Apple. The only thing I had to do was restore my iPhone in iTunes (thats when Apple sent the permanent unlock through) and my iPhone became unlocked! Super easy to do, its a permanent unlock (doing any updates, restores, etc from now on will not effect the unlock). Its worth a shot! and they didn't require me to extend my contract or pay anything.
    I did the same for my iPhone 4: called up AT&T. I've been a customer since Cingular days (10+yrs) but AT&T still made me wait 3 weeks longer for my 2yr contract to be over... I guess my 10+yrs was not enough to get them to let me have the unlock just a couple weeks sooner...
    Rodney

@iCraftwork
    @RodneyJ725
    +RodneyJ725
    Facebook/RodneyJ725
    iPhone Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by RodneyJ725 View Post
    I did the same for my iPhone 4: called up AT&T. I've been a customer since Cingular days (10+yrs) but AT&T still made me wait 3 weeks longer for my 2yr contract to be over... I guess my 10+yrs was not enough to get them to let me have the unlock just a couple weeks sooner...
    A white lie may have helped... that I'm going to travel internationally and would still like to use my phone while on vacation... at least thats what I said.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    423 Global Posts

are you guys unlocking your phones to sell at a higher value afterwards? or just wanting to use it with another network. i am about to upgrade to the iPhone 5. I see some unlock codes for $10-15 on ebay. Figured its worth spending if i can cell my iPhone 4 for a higher value unlocked.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6 Beta

Quote Originally Posted by trmoney24 View Post
    are you guys unlocking your phones to sell at a higher value afterwards? or just wanting to use it with another network. i am about to upgrade to the iPhone 5. I see some unlock codes for $10-15 on ebay. Figured its worth spending if i can cell my iPhone 4 for a higher value unlocked.
    For me: I wanted it unlocked as I travel to Asia (primarily Singapore) a lot, and it's simply easier and cheaper to use a sim card from the country I'm in.
    Rodney

@iCraftwork
    @RodneyJ725
    +RodneyJ725
    Facebook/RodneyJ725
    iPhone Newbie

I did it for a higher resale value. So those that want an unlocked iPhone for T-mobile, etc. Don't have to deal with jailbreaks, sim cards, etc.
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    937 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I unlock because I do travel to Asia so I can use my phone there also selling price is just a bonus.

Via Tapatalk iPhone 4S
    Twitter: @vietalogy
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    287 Global Posts

I have a 4S on Sprint...is it possible for me to get mine unlocked so I can use an AT&T SIM? I get AWFUL coverage where I work, so I was able to get a Prepaid AT&T SIM, it would make my life a lot easier.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,813 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

Quote Originally Posted by DeusPigritae View Post
    I have a 4S on Sprint...is it possible for me to get mine unlocked so I can use an AT&T SIM? I get AWFUL coverage where I work, so I was able to get a Prepaid AT&T SIM, it would make my life a lot easier.
    No but I think a r-sim iii will unlock it
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    886 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by trmoney24 View Post
    I did mine for resale value. I used Unlock Fusion on eBay, was $15 and is now $9.
    iPhone Newbie

Hi,
    You can unlock your iPhone 4S by Remote unlocking. The unlock is permanent and you can get this unlocking service from online sites. is where i unlocked my iPhone, Check it out. Hope this helps you
    Last edited by aarlene; 09-12-2012 at 05:52 AM.
    iPhone Nanite

I have Verison service. Do they offer unlocking for out of contact phones

Global Posts
    11,434 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Coreman38 View Post
    I have Verison service. Do they offer unlocking for out of contact phones
    Verizon can unlock the GSM side of the phone for international use anytime - in contract or not - as long as your account is current, and you've been a customer for 6 months or more - but Verizon can not ever unlock the GSM side of their phones for use on AT&T or any other GSM provider in the US.
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
    iPhone Nanite

So if I want to unlock my Verison iPhone 4 how would I go about that

Global Posts
    11,434 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Coreman38 View Post
    So if I want to unlock my Verison iPhone 4 how would I go about that
    call customer service.
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
    iPhone Nanite

Ok thanks, I will give that a try
    iPhone Nanite

Default unlock solution

Remote unlocking is best for iphone unlocking. get your Remote unlock service at Theunlockarena.com
    Last edited by mannar; 09-21-2012 at 01:18 AM. Reason: some content missing