Jailbreak , unlock or BOTH ?? ATT Iphone 3gs to T-mobile Help

Jays1fan

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
Hello all. My first post here so hope some one can help.

I have an old Iphone 3gs that my sister gave me ( She had AT&T ) which I use as an Itouch only.
But was son was wanting to use it as a phone on the T-mobile $30 plan at walmart.
Do I need to Jailbreak , unlock it or Both ?? ( I live in the USA by the way if that matters )
on the iphone settings it says I have Version 5.1.1 (9B206) if that matters.

Any help would be greatly appreciated ... and step by steps on HOW TO do this would be even better.

Also , is there ANY risks , or bad effects that will happen like losing some of the stuff I use the itouch part for incase he doesnt like it.

Thanks for any replies.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
If it isn't under contract, AT&T will unlock it at no charge. I wouldn't recommend going through all the jailbreak stuff unless you're at least a bit familiar with it all.

Jays1fan

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
If it isn't under contract, AT&T will unlock it at no charge. I wouldn't recommend going through all the jailbreak stuff unless you're at least a bit familiar with it all.

It is NOT under contract. I have had it for a couple of years just using it as a touch.

So are you saying I dont have to do both ? ( Jailbreak then unlock ) just to switch to T-mobile prepaid ?

I have read a bunch of different things , lol .. very confusing.

IF , all I have to do is unlock and call ATT , then buy a T-mobile sim card , swith that ..then buy a prepaid card ..I will do it.

On another note , I have heard using an Iphone on T-mobile , that the data ( serfing web , facebook , etc ) is slow. Is this true ??

Thank you SO MUCH for your post.

Jays1fan

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
I just tried calling ATT , they wont unlock it unless I have my sisters account info. Dont really want to ask her for that info. any other thoughts ??

Jays1fan

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
I tried the chat and they said same thing.
pointed me to this :
General Eligibility Requirements for Unlocking iPhone

AT&T will unlock an iPhone under the following circumstances:

The person requesting the unlock is:
a current AT&T customer or
a former AT&T customer who can provide the phone number or account number for the account
The iPhone was designed for use on AT&T's network;
All contract obligations, including any term commitment, associated with the device to be unlocked have been fully satisfied; and
The iPhone has not been reported lost or stolen.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Not sure about that one...you might need to bite the bullet and ask for her help. I assume you know the phone number associated with the account--is that not good enough for them?

Jays1fan

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
finally got through to someone at att that helped and made a case # for me.
Then I had to fax that info , which I did ..now I have to wait for the email.

So has anyone unlocked an ATT iphone and went with t-mobile prepaid WITHOUT jailbreaking it TOO ?

Thanks,
Scott

Jays1fan

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
even though I never got an email from Att , it did work !
I read somewhere on the net that all ATT does is send a thing to Apple which unlocks it.
So maybe ATT just has not got around to the emails.
But I restored it on itunes and got the "Unlocked" notification on the phone.

Now just have to wait for the t-mobile sin card to get here to see for sure it works.

tawnytodd

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
finally got through to someone at att that helped and made a case # for me.
Then I had to fax that info , which I did ..now I have to wait for the email.

So has anyone unlocked an ATT iphone and went with t-mobile prepaid WITHOUT jailbreaking it TOO ?

Thanks,
Scott

I have the experience of unlocking my iPhone locked to AT&T through the remote unlocking service from Simpleunlocking.com and followed the free unlocking instruction from Mobileunlockguide.com.I was able to easily unlock my iPhone with their guidance.I switched to other network without jailbreaking.Jailbreak is needed only to install third party applications,themes and to have root access to iOS.