Apple TV Remote app & 3G Unrestrictor/My3G

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
The Remote app is a WiFi only working application. I've tried to use it with both 3G Unrestrictor and My3G to no avail. Is there any sort of other tweak that will help me with this?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
The whole thing about the Remote app involves being in Wifi proximity to the device you want to control - what am I missing?? I'm just not seeing the need for this... :confused:

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
The whole thing about the Remote app involves being in Wifi proximity to the device you want to control - what am I missing?? I'm just not seeing the need for this... :confused:

My Apple TV is in my garage. My router reaches only so far from inside my house. So I ran a direct Ethernet cable to the garage to plug into the Apple TV.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
My Apple TV is in my garage. My router reaches only so far from inside my house. So I ran a direct Ethernet cable to the garage to plug into the Apple TV.

That should not matter. Your iOS device should be connected to the same network, albiet by different technologies... if you run an ethernet cable to an AppleTV and connect your iOS device to the same network via wifi, it will work just fine. I do it in my home. All three of my AppleTV devices are connected to my home network via ethernet... and I can control all of them from my iPad anywhere within the wifi coverage area for my router...

Specifically what are you trying to do, and what are the hurdles to overcome?

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
That should not matter. Your iOS device should be connected to the same network, albiet by different technologies... if you run an ethernet cable to an AppleTV and connect your iOS device to the same network via wifi, it will work just fine. I do it in my home. All three of my AppleTV devices are connected to my home network via ethernet... and I can control all of them from my iPad anywhere within the wifi coverage area for my router...

Specifically what are you trying to do, and what are the hurdles to overcome?

The fact that my wireless connection is shaky when going to the garage is what the hurdle is. My phone has too many connects/disconnects. The problem isn't ATV. I solved it by running a direct connection. I just want to be able to use the remote app without having to wait for my phone to connect over and over when it loses range every time.

So if I use Remote over 3G I don't have to deal with all the disconnect issues to my phone all the time.

Last edited:

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Add a wireless access point on the end of the cable your atv is attached to.

Yes, if you aren't getting a wifi signal, that's the only solution. In order for the remote app to work with the AppleTV, is must be on the same network... and since 3G connection is not on your local network, the remote app can't control the AppleTV. The only fix is to solve the wifi connection issue... and another wifi access point is the answer.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I'm gonna assume I do this through the ATV settings. So essentially the ATV device works as a semi-router for a device that uses a remote app is what you guys are saying? If so, then that will solve this problem.

I was also unaware that ATV and Remote had to share the same connection. No wonder 3G Unrestrictor is moot in this whole thing.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm gonna assume I do this through the ATV settings. So essentially the ATV device works as a semi-router for a device that uses a remote app is what you guys are saying? If so, then that will solve this problem.

No... the ATV is not a WAP (wireless access point) - you need to get one... a device similar to the one that you connect to in the house.

The Remote app is a glorified "programable remote control" that interacts with the ATV over your in-home network instead of infrared light or RF like standard remotes.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
No... the ATV is not a WAP (wireless access point) - you need to get one... a device similar to the one that you connect to in the house.

The Remote app is a glorified "programable remote control" that interacts with the ATV over your in-home network instead of infrared light or RF like standard remotes.

What he said ^^^.