Benefits to JB?

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
What are some of the benefits of JBing an iPhone? I've looked before and not much info was found. All I've really noticed is that most apps are more expensive and themes.

Aus dem geist der giesteskranken

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
if you are techy and like to tinker with your device then i would say jailbreaking is for you. if not, then you may as well stay stock

benefits? it all depends. do you want to make your device look completely different than the next to you on the bus, or anyone else really. or, do you want to be able to use your device more efficiently? there are different reasons why people jailbreak their phones, it may just take you a little bit to find out why you would

yes, you will have to pay for some jailbroken apps/tweaks, fact of life. there are developers just like in the App Store that work just as hard if not more and they deserve to be paid for their work and continue to do so. but just like in life you get what you pay for and the necessary support as well

Reactions: iSmileyFace

rich67

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
For me, it's a few different reason. The iPhone stock is boring and plain. I like mine to stand out and look different and offer functions not seen on iPhone, but are more akin to Android systems (without the glitchiness of Android, that is).
I also want access to free wifi tethering, which I get with PDA Net. Again, an expensive option for stock.
Lastly, I'm a tech geek, and like to mess around with different things and this is just another hobby that I have to keep me occupied.
I see a lot of people gripe about the cost of apps on Cydia, but I don't think a lot of people fully understand. There are TONS of free apps and themes on Cydia, and they are totally awesome, like the Buuf themes. There are some that cost more than a normal iTunes app, but they offer a greater degree of functionality (IntelliscreenX, to name one). Finally, jailbreaking is FREE, despite the countless hours guys like Pod2G and the other devs put into it, and this helps the "little guys", who create apps for Cydia...so helping them out is a good thing.
So like Blink says, if you're a tech guy and like tinkering, then JB and pay the $4 or $5 extra to put some cool apps on there. Heck, a couple visits to McDonald's and you'll pay more than a few decent apps for a JB phone! But if you would rather chuck money to iTunes for apps you'll get bored of in a couple weeks, then stay stock.

gvndeb60

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
Top 2 for iPhone IMO are tethering and 3G Unrestrictor. Tethering is self explanatory, 3G Unrestrictor tricks any app you tell it to that you are on wifi instead of 3G. This lets you do FaceTime, download bigger apps or podcasts, stream YouTube HD, backup to iCloud, etc over 3G.
Oh and unlimited Pandora skips.

iVazz

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
As many here have said, SBSettings, Theming (loving Pages), AssistantExtensions, Activator, etc..

It's not for everyone out there, but in my opinion once you do JB and learn about some of the tweaks you can do it gets addictive. It'll make you wish apple would implement some (if not all) of the tweaks you can do with a JB'd iPhone.

Sent from the dark recesses of my mind using Tapatalk.

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
The main benefit for me personally is access to tethering. Here's another good list of JB apps: The Best Jailbreak Apps For The iPhone 4S

Dude, this is one of the best jailbreak articles that I have ever seen - Thanks! I picked up a few tweaks I can't wait to try out!

As far as reasons to jailbreak, I'm with BLiNK. If you are techy and like to mess around with settings, this is definitely the choice for you!! I have been messing around with my phone since Friday night and it's really a lot of fun.

sherlock

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Updated my iPhone and took one look at the stock springboard, ugh. Hooray for Absinthe 2.0!

Never had biteSMS before 5.0.1 so I hope I don't have to re buy it?

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
i know someone who jailbreaks their device just to get rid of that annoying sound when a text message is sent. THAT'S IT!

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
The main benefit for me personally is access to tethering. Here's another good list of JB apps: The Best Jailbreak Apps For The iPhone 4S

Awesome article. Thanks for the find.

For me, it's about small tweaks. I don't have any themes on my phone (yet) because the non-stock apps arent' supported and it just looks funny.

Instead of Verizon at the top of my phone, it says iGinger. I've got stars instead of the signal bars and the temp and conditions next to the time and my boot logo of the Apple has been replaced by a San Jose Sharks icon. It's just the simple subtle tweaks that I like.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2