- iMore Pro
- 707 Posts
Jailbreaking 5.1.1 Instructions/Guide
If you are looking to jailbreak an A5 device: iPad 2 and 3 or iPhone 4S. Then you need to use the new jailbreak utility Absinthe with is now been updated to 2.0.1. Don't use 2.0:
Links: Absinthe 2.0 has arrived! | greenpois0n.com
Tutorial: Jailbreak 5.1.1 Untethered For iPhone 4S,4,3Gs, iPod Touch 4,3 & iPad,3,2
If you are looking to jailbreak an A4 device: iPad 1, iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4. You can use a more RELIABLE technic by apple a tethered jailbreak first with Redsnow and then installing the un-tether package via Cydia which is exactly what Absinthe does, but just in a slightly different way.
1. Jailbreak tethered with latest version of redsn0w. By clicking the jailbreak button and then you need to install Cydia when prompted
2. Once Redsn0w has run and finished on you phone.
3. In redsn0w, go to extras and then use the just boot tethered now option.
4. Once booted, locate Cydia on your iPhone. Open and let if finish loading all the packages up the top (this isn't required every time you open Cydia, just the first.
5. Then go to search and search for 'rocky racoon 5.1.1 untether'.
6. Install this and then reboot your phone, by switching it off and not by using redsn0w.
7. You are now jailbroken un-tethered.
I highly recommend using Redsnow for A4 devices!
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Last edited by 1982ollie; 05-26-2012 at 05:22 AM.
- 05-26-2012, 05:20 AM #2
- 05-26-2012, 07:08 AM #3
- 05-26-2012, 03:33 PM #4
- 05-26-2012, 04:15 PM #5
- 05-29-2012, 11:42 AM #7
- 06-01-2012, 11:32 AM #8
In the tutorial:
if you’re on Windows Vista or Windows 7, you’ll need to right click Absinthe, set the compatibility mode to Windows XP Service Pack 2 and run it as an administrator
Is this 100% required? I have Windows 7 64bit. Should I...
Turn compatibility mode on
Set it to Windows XP SP2
Then run it as administrator?
Didn't change any of the compatibility settings. Jailbreaking took 2min, no issues.
Last edited by JoshB410; 06-01-2012 at 03:41 PM.