Should i upgrade from ios 5.0.1 to 5.1.1 for new untethered jailbreak

Sam1r

May 25, 2012
Visit site
Hi i need some help deciding what i should do. I'm on ios 5.0.1 with an untethered jailbreak and i don't know if i should update to 5.1.1 to use absinthe 2.0. So can you please help me.

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm a little nervous about jail breaking - I did it for 5.0 and then dropped it for 5.1. The process was painless, but I keep hearing issues with people jail breaking today.

Is the process as simple as before? I'm afraid I'm going to attempt to jailbreak, royally screw things up and have to end up restoring my phone.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
in situations like this i always welcomed it. gives you a chance to clean things up and start fresh again

plus the battery performance with 5.1.1 should be an improvement

Reactions: Sam1r

Stephxieh

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
If you are happy with it now, just wait a few days for the servers to calm down.

No point in driving yourself crazy if you are content for now!

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
Don't, 5.1.1 doesn't offer any new features over what you have, and who knows which JB tweaks won't work with it. Save the time and effort and pass on this invisible upgrade.

Bias X

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Don't, 5.1.1 doesn't offer any new features over what you have, and who knows which JB tweaks won't work with it. Save the time and effort and pass on this invisible upgrade.

Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it's not there.
Tethered has been out for 5.1.1 for a little while. Most major tweaks have been updated.

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it's not there.
Tethered has been out for 5.1.1 for a little while. Most major tweaks have been updated.

What is "there"? Apple hasn't introduced any new features since 5.0, going through hours of restoring and customizing one's phone again for an update that doesn't add anything is pointless. Reading through the mountains of problems people are having on forums for nothing makes me glad I passed on this one.

I guess some people just need to have the latest anything, only reason I can see to upgrade is that there are a few apps that require 5.1+ to work.

Sometimes you need to sit back and look at the big picture, patience is a virtue.

1982ollie

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
What is "there"? Apple hasn't introduced any new features since 5.0, going through hours of restoring and customizing one's phone again for an update that doesn't add anything is pointless. Reading through the mountains of problems people are having on forums for nothing makes me glad I passed on this one.

I guess some people just need to have the latest anything, only reason I can see to upgrade is that there are a few apps that require 5.1+ to work.

Sometimes you need to sit back and look at the big picture, patience is a virtue.

On of the main problems was that the iPhone 4 has two IOS 5.1.1 versions and the latest one isn't supported by the jailbreak. That was where most of the problems where coming from.

But yes, I do agree there isn't much point in upgrading.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Bias X

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site

Features aren't everything. There is more than meets the eye to every update. If you don't realize this by now, you probably never will.

It's called xbackup in Cydia. It restores everything on your jailbreaking end and upgrading to 5.1.1 doesn't require that you start with a fresh restore. You'll keep all of your data.

Bias X

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
On of the main problems was that the iPhone 4 has two IOS 5.1.1 versions and the latest one isn't supported by the jailbreak. That was where most of the problems where coming from.

But yes, I do agree there isn't much point in upgrading.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Absinthe has been updated to support both.

sherlock

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site

Features no, but there is a patch for the spoofing web address exploit. Peace of mind is worth something - not to mention having the latest and greatest.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I can't believe how much discussion there is on this. For heaven's sake, if you can jailbreak on the latest software then do it. If people are being pessimistic about 5.1.1 then let them be. It's a silly thing to be pessimistic about. I'll be on 5.1.1 while regularly charging my phone the way I always have. Watching battery percentage with a hawk eye is just ridiculous. Enjoy your phone and pick up an extra charger. Sheesh

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73