- iPhone Newbie
- 10 Posts
after JB, do I have to re-install apps ?
I recently bought a new 4S and luckily it was on 5.0.1 so went ahead and using Absinthe on OS X, I successfully JB it and spent a day installing all my fav apps from Cydia and Installous.
Unfortunately, I noticed a grey screen frame on the device and after restoring to factory defaults, I took it back to Apple and they promptly replaced it.
5.0.1 again so I went through the whole process again.
Now, I have 2 questions.
If I JB the new 5.1.1 ( pod2g will soon release it ) , will I have to go through the whole process of installing apps again ?
How can I back up all my apps , especially Cydia and Installous ?
- 05-22-2012, 08:34 PM #2
I am not too familiar with the jb. but once you get your stock apps before jb, back up your device via itunes, then do the jb. as for cydia apps unfortunately if since you have to restore from the tethered in order to do the untethered anything you purchased from cydia or installous will have to be purchased again. so i would wait to buy anything until then.
- iPhone Newbie
- 10 Posts
I don't use ITunes either but I came across another posting about backing up Installous apps.
Using SSH just go to
Inside, you'll see a bunch of files.
Back these up.
- 05-22-2012, 11:25 PM #4
The gray screen frame, I assume was a white icon. If so a respring would have fixed it. If you update to 5.1.1 then you will need to re-jailbreak and reinstall your cydia apps. there are some Cydia apps that do "backup" your packages but they don't work that well. I just keep a list and Cydia will remember your login credentials for paid apps.
- 05-23-2012, 12:01 AM #5
yes, you can backup your Cydia apps/tweaks with various programs
installous related items; i'm afraid you will not get the help you desire here as this site frowns upon this
personally, i just manually load everything back onto my device. i either take screenshots, write them down or just memory alone, been doing it a while haha
- 05-23-2012, 02:50 AM #6iMore Pro
- 707 Posts
I will be doing the exact same as you. Going from 5.0.1 to 5.1.1.
Here is what I am going to do:
1. Backup and sync to iTunes. Not iCloud. Making sure you transfer purchases.
2. Install xbackup from Cydia. Pay the dollar or so for it and make a note of your login details for purchases. Do you have a Facebook page, as you can link that to your Cydia account for purchases.
3. Run Xbackup creating a backup, before doing so make sure you going into settings in the app and check that cloud and icon layout toggles are on. This creates a backup on their server. Best option. Also backups your springboard layout.
3. Update to 5.1.1 via iTunes. I'm going to set my phone up likes its new, therefore doing a complete restore. This is up to you? Makes your phone like new if you do a restore.
4. The restore your backup that you made via iTunes.
5. Run new jailbreak utility.
6. Install xBackup from Cydia.
7. Run restore on xBackup.
8. After your phone resprings and looks how it was. Make sure you do a full reboot, not another resprings. As you need to do this for some reason to make Cydia app's like iFile, backgrounder, etc to appear where they should. Not sure why, just know this from experience.
I have used xBackup twice now and have been very impressed especially for the cheap price of it.
For safe measure, you may want to go into Cydia before the process and go into manage & packages and take screen shots like 'Blink' said.
Hope this help.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk