Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

Default Battery issues - HELP!

Having serious battery issues with my JB'd 4s, running 5.01. I got the phone when it was first released, so it's roughly 6 months old. Last night I went to sleep with a fully charged iPhone. I woke up and it was at 30% battery (while connected to wifi).

-Here's a list of all the JB hacks/tweaks I use:
    Battery issues - HELP!-imageuploadedbytapatalk1337089111.923436.jpg
    Battery issues - HELP!-imageuploadedbytapatalk1337089126.903632.jpg
    -And here's a list of all my activated winter board themes:
    Battery issues - HELP!-imageuploadedbytapatalk1337089305.503266.jpg
    -I use springtomize to change the carrier name and shrink the icons.
    -Also using dashboardx (dashtweet is the only widget I use), but the battery problems started long before I added dashboardx.
    -Finally, in the notification center, I have NCsettings, the weather ticker from ISX and favorite contacts activated.

Sorry for the screenshots, but at times it was much easier than listing out everything. Now my questions ensue:

-How can I tell if this is the result of normal usage or if this is the function of jailbreaking?
    -Assuming it is a result of the JB, how can I tell which tweak/app is causing it?
    -I saw a tweet from pod2g about how battery issues have been addressed on 5.1.1, should I considering upgrading when the 5.1.1 JB comes out, and rejailbreak?
    -Any suggestions?

TIA

Global Posts
    22,436 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Does the dashtweet widget pulls streaming tweets in realtime and constantly whether the iPhone display is asleep or not? If so, that *might* be your culprit. I'm not jailbroken and I don't use dashtweet so I'm guessing here.

Just Me, D
    (Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iMore Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe'D View Post
    Does the dashtweet widget pulls streaming tweets in realtime and constantly whether the iPhone display is asleep or not? If so, that *might* be your culprit. I'm not jailbroken and I don't use dashtweet so I'm guessing here.

Just Me, D
    (Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)
    Nope, Dashtweet just lets me tweet from my springboard. I don't have any tweaks activated (to my knowledge) that use live updating, except for the ISX weather widget.

Global Posts
    22,436 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Again. I'm not jailbroken but I'm trying to assist you as best as I can. Fast battery drainage while not being used is often caused by the following:

1. The display not sleeping properly
    2. Weak 3G signal ( the device is constantly struggling to maintain a connection)
    3. Weak Wi-Fi signal
    4. Background app constantly updating
    5. Defective battery

As for jailbreaking tweaks, I won't even speculate because I don't know anything about them.

Just Me, D
    (Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    5,023 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Might not be jb relatedmy wife texted me at noon that her 4S was draining like crazy all the sudden. Wondering of it could be related to the recent iCloud outage? Maybe something to do with backups?
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    iMore Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by Massie View Post
    Might not be jb relatedmy wife texted me at noon that her 4S was draining like crazy all the sudden. Wondering of it could be related to the recent iCloud outage? Maybe something to do with backups?
    I don't use iCloud. It could be just wear/tear. I use my iphone plenty. What do you think is the simplest way to test if it's a JB issue? I know this has been asked before, but is there an easy way to "back up" all of my JB apps and settings? I may have to go back to stock temporarily...
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    877 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I had a similar thing happen to me a few times - go to bed with 9x% battery and wake up with 2x%. I'm not sure what resolved the issue, but I made sure I closed all my apps before going to sleep and turning Wifi on - that way if a connection is required, it doesn't touch the 3G radio.
    If you have jailbreak woes, you can iMessage me at iDonev@me.com. I'll try to help (provided I have time to spare).
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    280 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Check your Intelliscreen X refresh rates-especially if you're receiving the RSS feeds. My phone was sucking battery fast, and I discovered that eliminating the RSS feeds or at least changing how often they check for updates made a big difference. Also, make sure you have a strong wifi signal-like the other poster said, if your phone is searching for wifi signal because it's barely picking it up, it will also cause some excess drain.
    Just for the heck of it, kill Intelliscreen before you turn in for the night, and try the experiment again. It took me a while before I found the right settings which optimized the battery life with the apps I use.
    JB Iphone 5 32GB*Mac Mini 2011 10.9.1 OSX*Apple TV2
  9. Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  
    iMore Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by rich67 View Post
    Check your Intelliscreen X refresh rates-especially if you're receiving the RSS feeds. My phone was sucking battery fast, and I discovered that eliminating the RSS feeds or at least changing how often they check for updates made a big difference. Also, make sure you have a strong wifi signal-like the other poster said, if your phone is searching for wifi signal because it's barely picking it up, it will also cause some excess drain.
    Just for the heck of it, kill Intelliscreen before you turn in for the night, and try the experiment again. It took me a while before I found the right settings which optimized the battery life with the apps I use.
    I have all ISX settings off (RSS, FB, Twitter) except for the weather ticker. Either way I'll test it out by shutting off ISX tonight.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    823 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Go into Cydia and look at all the packages you've installed and delete any that you don't use. IntelliscreenX should be good as long as you have the correct settings. If you have smaller tweaks that are not that popular, bad coding may be causing you to lose battery life.

Also, you can try resetting all network settings before doing anything else to see if that works.
  11. Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  
    iMore Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharma15 View Post
    Go into Cydia and look at all the packages you've installed and delete any that you don't use. IntelliscreenX should be good as long as you have the correct settings. If you have smaller tweaks that are not that popular, bad coding may be causing you to lose battery life.

Also, you can try resetting all network settings before doing anything else to see if that works.
    resetting all network settings?
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,928 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

I'm not JB and I've been draining pretty fast last couple days not sure why but my iCloud email had been kinda weird lately also

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    823 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by rosenstar View Post
    resetting all network settings?
    Go into settings, general, reset, and reset network settings.

Global Posts
    15,745 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.x.x

Default Re: Battery issues - HELP!

Take some time and review over Apple recommendations for battery management...

Optimize Your Settings

Depending on how they are configured, a few features may decrease your iPhone battery life. For example, the frequency with which you retrieve email and the number of email accounts you auto-check can both affect battery life. The tips below apply to an iPhone running iOS 5.0 or later and may help extend your battery life.

Adjust brightness: Dimming the screen is another way to extend battery life. Go to Settings > Brightness & Wallpaper and drag the slider to the left to lower the default screen brightness. In addition, turning on Auto-Brightness allows the screen to adjust its brightness based on current lighting conditions. Go to Settings > Brightness & Wallpaper and set Auto-Brightness to On.

Turn off push mail: If you have a push mail account such as Yahoo! or Microsoft Exchange, turn off push when you don’t need it. Go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Fetch New Data and set Push to Off. Messages sent to your push email accounts will now be received on your phone based on the global Fetch setting rather than as they arrive.

Fetch new data less frequently: Applications such as Mail can be set to fetch data wirelessly at specific intervals. The more frequently email or other data is fetched, the quicker your battery may drain. To fetch new data manually, from the Home screen choose Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Fetch New Data and tap Manually. To increase the fetch interval, go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Fetch New Data and tap Hourly. Note that this is a global setting and applies to all applications that do not support push services.

Turn off push notifications: Some applications from the App Store use the Apple Push Notification service to alert you of new data. Applications that extensively rely on push notifications (such as instant messaging applications) may impact battery life. To disable push notifications, go to Settings > Notifications and disable notifications for select applications. Note that this does not prevent new data from being received when the application is opened. Also, the Notifications setting will not be visible if you do not have any applications installed that support push notifications.

Minimize use of location services: Applications that actively use location services such as Maps may reduce battery life. To disable location services, go to Settings > Privacy > Location Services or use location services only when needed.

Use Airplane Mode in low- or no-coverage areas: Because your iPhone always tries to maintain a connection with the cellular network, it may use more power in low- or no-coverage areas. Turning on Airplane Mode can increase battery life in these situations; however, you will be unable to make or receive calls. To turn on Airplane Mode, go to Settings and set Airplane Mode to On.
    John Yester
    Moderator Team Leader, iMore.com

iMore Elite

iOS Version

Default Re: Battery issues - HELP!

thanks john, 5 months later and we finally solved his problems!
    iPhone Beginner

Default Battery issues - HELP!

Is it too late to pitch in lol!
    1. Go to Safe mode
    2. Charge to 100%
    3. Go to bed
    If things looks good in the morning, it must be something to do with your JB tweak/app.
    4. Repeat 2 & 3 while turning on ur tweak/app one at a time and you will figure out the culprit.
    Hopefully this may help others as well.