I know this horse is dead and flies are beginning to swarm but...

MaddieKaddison

May 12, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone-

I can see this issue has been addressed repeatedly but I haven't been able to find a thread with one particular issue I can't seem to find a solution for.

*Disclaimer: I'm not a complete idiot but I would categorize myself as 'technologically deficient' in some areas. I apologize in advance.

I purchased my 14 year old an iPhone 4 from Verizon yesterday. After 3 hours, he brings it to me and tells me he thinks he broke the phone while trying to jailbreak it (remaining understanding is growing harder by the second).

His Safari browser nor email no longer works and Cydia will not load. I attempted a restore but iTunes has informed me it cannot perform the requested rebuild which I know is not uncommon. If there was a backup performed, I am unable to locate it but I also know those files aren't necessarily easy to find. I downloaded TinyUmbrella but I'm not sure if it's too late in the game for that and honestly, using the program's functions to restore the phone remain a mystery to me. Backing up before jail breaking seems to be pretty critical in having the ability to restore to factory settings and that's what's concerned me. The longer I read suggested solutions the more confused and anxious I become. I've even wondered if it were able to restore the factory settings using a previous back up from my iPhone 4 but perhaps that's a stupid question.

If I need to continue searching for the thread that addresses this issue, I'm fine with that, but if someone could at least give me peace of mind and assure me this phone can be restored, I will be forever in your debt.

Thanks for your time.

Maddie

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Here is what I would do (if I were you):

Open TinyUmbrella. Click on the advanced tab. Uncheck the box that says (set hosts to Cydia on exit) if it is checked. I would then reboot the computer. Once that is done, open iTunes. Make sure it is the latest version of iTunes.

Next, take your son's phone, and plug it into the computer. Turn it off. Then hold the power button for 3 seconds. Next, hold the home button for 15 seconds while holding the power button down. You should see the Apple logo 1-2 times. Thirdly, let go of the power button while holding the home button. The screen should remain black. This is called DFU mode, and allows the software to recover without most errors.

I would then try to restore again. If you get any errors, please tell us the exact number, and we can help you further.

Reactions: MaddieKaddison

joe_fresh

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Open up redsn0w on the computer used to jailbreak. click on extras, then the top icon which should be reboot. once you get to a page telling you to power off the phone hold the power button and home button. once the next page loads up let go of power, keep holding the home button. until you hear the tones on the pc speaker stop (usb in and out sound) then let go. what he did was a standard reboot and not using the tethered jb reboot.

Reactions: MaddieKaddison

joe_fresh

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone-

I can see this issue has been addressed repeatedly but I haven't been able to find a thread with one particular issue I can't seem to find a solution for.

*Disclaimer: I'm not a complete idiot but I would categorize myself as 'technologically deficient' in some areas. I apologize in advance.

I purchased my 14 year old an iPhone 4 from Verizon yesterday. After 3 hours, he brings it to me and tells me he thinks he broke the phone while trying to jailbreak it (remaining understanding is growing harder by the second).

His Safari browser nor email no longer works and Cydia will not load. I attempted a restore but iTunes has informed me it cannot perform the requested rebuild which I know is not uncommon. If there was a backup performed, I am unable to locate it but I also know those files aren't necessarily easy to find. I downloaded TinyUmbrella but I'm not sure if it's too late in the game for that and honestly, using the program's functions to restore the phone remain a mystery to me. Backing up before jail breaking seems to be pretty critical in having the ability to restore to factory settings and that's what's concerned me. The longer I read suggested solutions the more confused and anxious I become. I've even wondered if it were able to restore the factory settings using a previous back up from my iPhone 4 but perhaps that's a stupid question.

If I need to continue searching for the thread that addresses this issue, I'm fine with that, but if someone could at least give me peace of mind and assure me this phone can be restored, I will be forever in your debt.

Thanks for your time.

Maddie
here is the best place for Q and A

Jailbreaking iOS 5.0.1, 5.1, and 5.1.1 - JailbreakQA

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I think what happened here is he is running 5.1.1 which is a tethered jailbreak, and he did not boot tethered After the jailbreak, so the phone booted up into a semi tethered state....
The proper solution is in this thread now, and no the phone is not lost forever!!!
Also your son jailbroke it correctly, he just Missed the last step....
Honestly a tethered reboot might be the answer to all the problems!

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I think what happened here is he is running 5.1.1 which is a tethered jailbreak, and he did not boot tethered After the jailbreak, so the phone booted up into a semi tethered state....
The proper solution is in this thread now, and no the phone is not lost forever!!!
Also your son jailbroke it correctly, he just Missed the last step....
Honestly a tethered reboot might be the answer to all the problems!

I think you and the other user are right. At least I hope so.

Beamed from a galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk!

MaddieKaddison

May 12, 2012
Visit site
I scrambled to follow your suggestions before his class left to go on a school trip to Washington D.C (which was why I finally broke down and got him the phone) but I couldn't do it (putting the iPhone into DFU mode must have been designed by Satan). I have to wait until Thursday when he gets back but the good news is he can make calls and send text messages.

I'm torn between being impressed with him figuring out how to jailbreak the phone and aggravated with him for doing it so close to the time he was supposed to leave. I don't want to discourage discovery but MAN...

I'll follow your suggestions and post the outcome but in the meantime please accept my sincerest gratitude.

I'm amazed by good people like yourselves who give your time freely to help folks like me in need. Hopefully, I'll get the opportunity to pass it forward.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2