Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Intermediate

Default Erase All Content and Settings = update?

JB'ed on 501, don't want to lose my JB untether, but I'm having some intermittent problems with Siri and various other issues.

None of the issues impact the device in a way making it unusable, just more so inconveniences.

Will doing the on-device reset everything also update it to 5.1.1.?
    If I helped you - Please hit that little Reputation button
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,957 Global Posts
    iOS Version

It doesn't update anything, but most people find that trying to use that method on a jb device breaks something, and they then need to restore/update anyway. I wouldn't do it unless you're SURE you can reload 5.0.1 on your device.
    iPhone Newbie

Don't do it. Phone won't boot up anymore. You need to restore using a signed SHSH custom firmware file.
    iPhone Beginner

Wil, I did this just days ago. I was having issues with cydia and tried to restore from the cloud. The first step is to erase all content from the reset option. Tried it 3 times and the phone stay frozen (spinning) for up to 3.5 hrs each time without a restore. I was trying to restore from icloud so I could keep 5.0.1 to re-jailbreak, but after failure to restore, I just went ahead and updated to 5.1.1. My phone is running perfect now, but of course my ability to jb is gone.
    iPhone Newbie

Listen. If you're already jailbroken you can't use the erase all content and settings option in the reset menu because your device will freeze(what happened to you).
    Youre not stuck on that iOS version. Get your SHSH Blobs. Stitch them to an 5.0.1 IPSW file, remove the baseband from it and restore in PWNED DFU mode from that. All done with just redsn0w.
    iPhone Nanite

Default Re: Erase All Content and Settings = update?

Hi iSpi7Fire, I'm on ios 5.01 iPhone 4S and unfortunately I can't get the PWNED DFU by redsn0w (last version) cause they say that the 4S isn't supported.
    From iTunes with Tinyumbrella and all my shsh saved (also in my computer) I can't restore to the the same firmware and even not to 5.1.1 which his shsh is saved too cause I always get 3014 or 11 error messages even after did all I found on the web, change Hosts, anti-virus and firewall disable, etc...
    Do you have any other solution for me cause I had a few bugs (can't hang up after an income call) and I'd like to rejailbreak my 4S
    iMore Intermediate

iOS Version
    5.1.1 / 6

Once you get the error on iTunes put the phone into dfu mode and run redsn0w and jailbreak. I've done this several times and worked perfectly.
    Check out my band DreadCircus - http://www.jadestarr.com.au
    iPhone 5 64GB / iPad mini 16GB / iPad 2 64GB / Apple TV / MacBook Pro
    Team Jailbreak!!!
    iPhone Nanite

What do I do to get my Ipod to unfeeze. It's been on this screen since 7 pm last night and all it shows is this little rotating circle

Global Posts
    4,104 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.4/6.1

If u did "erase setting" then u have to update thru iTunes and will lose your jailbreak.
    iMore Elite

iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by rdiddy_25 View Post
    If u did "erase setting" then u have to update thru iTunes and will lose your jailbreak.
    we need to change the title of this forum to "DO NOT ERASE ALL CONTENT AND SETTINGS"
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    877 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by 3cit View Post
    we need to change the title of this forum to "DO NOT ERASE ALL CONTENT AND SETTINGS"
    And petition Saurik to bundle the ResetAllKiller tweak as part of Cydia itself.
    If you have jailbreak woes, you can iMessage me at iDonev@me.com. I'll try to help (provided I have time to spare).

Global Posts
    4,104 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.4/6.1

Quote Originally Posted by 3cit View Post
    I second that!!! And make it a sticky so we can put this to rest