How to update my jailbroken ipod touch 4g to ios 5.0.1 without losing any app

kiplingex

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Currently my ipod touch 4g is jailbroken 4.2.1 and i do not want to lose any of my app by updating to 5.0.1. MY cydia has shsh 5.0.1 and i already download RedSn0w 0.9.10b7

its untethered version right.
Please help i searched many forums but i got no definite answers at all.
I heard safest now untethered jailbreak is 5.0.1 right
with Redsn0w 0.9.10b7
please up date me thanks

iDonev

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
What do you mean you don't want to "lose your apps"? Do you mean your purchased apps? Once you upgrade, you can redownload your purchases from Cydia. Perhaps you meant you didn't want to lose the information in your apps. In this case check this thread out and choose a backup solution.

Also I doubt you'll be able to restore to 5.0.1 with just the Cydia SHSH. With iOS 5 and onward you'll need both the SHSH blobs and the APTicket (which is not stored by Cydia).

kiplingex

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
With iOS 5 and onward you'll need both the SHSH blobs and the APTicket (which is not stored by Cydia).

Actually I totally dunno how to update to ios 5.0.1 is there any link i can update to that version.
I dun wan to update to ios 5.1 i heard it kept lagging. And if i update, i have to go through itunes or?

*Sorry its been long since i touch my itouch. its so complicating for me now T_T
Please be patience.
Thanks.

iDonev

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Yes, all major iOS updates go through iTunes. You can try updating the usual way (don't forget to put your device in pwned DFU mode) but I'm 99% sure it will fail (you'll get error 1600 or similar). You can try if you want - the information on your iPod will not be deleted if it fails - just hold the power and home buttons until the device boots up. Also if you're going to try it, make sure you add 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com to your hosts file or you'll get error 3194.

That said, you have two options: sit tight on 4.2.1 or take the plunge and go to 5.1. If you have your 4.2.1 SHSH saved in Cydia, you can always downgrade.

reahn

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
Yes, all major iOS updates go through iTunes. You can try updating the usual way (don't forget to put your device in pwned DFU mode) but I'm 99% sure it will fail (you'll get error 1600 or similar). You can try if you want - the information on your iPod will not be deleted if it fails - just hold the power and home buttons until the device boots up. Also if you're going to try it, make sure you add 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com to your hosts file or you'll get error 3194.

That said, you have two options: sit tight on 4.2.1 or take the plunge and go to 5.1. If you have your 4.2.1 SHSH saved in Cydia, you can always downgrade.

why do u say it will fail...?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapapoop

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
You mean all the downloads you have from cydia?

If that's the case download xbackup from cydia. It's $1.50, but it simply backs up everything and when you JB again, go back and restore.

Last edited: