- iMore Pro
- 707 Posts
Which Cydia Backup App???
I'm going to update to 5.1 soon and I have lots of tweaks and apps of course like us all. So I want to know which backup app is best and what you guys have succeeded with.
I see there are 5 main contenders: iBye, xBackup, PKGBackup, datadeposit & aptbackup.
It looks like xBackup will do the job fine. But if you do a local backup, will the file that gets created for the backup to sync the data with iTunes be in the right place automatically or do you have to move it.
I hope that last paragraph makes sense. I see that the app makes a file and then when you sync to iTunes it copies all the data of your apps/data/settings across on the sync. Then when you have a fresh build on your phone, you jailbreak, install the xBackup app, then run a sync and there you go. Seems a bit good to be true.
Any idea's or comments would be well appreciated.
- 04-18-2012, 06:58 AM #2
- 04-18-2012, 09:51 AM #3iMore Intermediate
- 105 Posts
Ive used PKGbackup a long time, have restored twice from it and it worked perfectly, it even lets you uncheck tweaks before the restore process, in case you decide you dont want it, the backup data is saved in your adress book, which in turn is synced with icloud, so you'll never lose your backup. I havent tried the others, but im happy with this one, just make sure you login to your cydia store account before restoring, which you will need anyways to redownload pkgbackup.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
- 04-19-2012, 02:00 PM #4
- iMore Pro
- 707 Posts
Your device has to be jailbroken before Cydia can be installed as it is third party piece of software.
Some people would say installing Cydia is jailbreaking your device.
What device do you have as you may be able to jailbreak?
- 04-19-2012, 07:45 PM #6
- 04-20-2012, 07:54 AM #7
- 04-20-2012, 09:14 AM #8
- 04-23-2012, 04:41 AM #9
I just came accross another backup app that looks promising - OpenBackup. It offers direct iCloud integration and it's free.
I'm downloading in now and will test it later in the day. I will edit my post with my impressions once I have some.
Impressions: 9.5/10 I have to say, I'm in love with this app! A couple of pointers:
- The interface is dead simple with a total of six buttons and two information popups. The settings portion contains just two options.
- The backups can occur automatically (default is every 24 hours and whenever you reboot the device)
- The iCloud/iTunes backup is seamless - you literally don't notice it!
- You're also given the location of the backups for a manual/SSH backup.
- While the app/preferences backups are automatic, you're also given the option to backup the .deb files and Cydia Sources!
- There are just two downsides - the automatic backup is an all-or-nothing deal. You can't pick and choose which tweaks to back up.
- As the description says - the app will backup most of your preferences. There's no guarantee that your restored device will be 1:1 with the original.
Last edited by iDonev; 04-23-2012 at 05:21 AM.