Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Beginner

iOS Version

Default Album Artwork Tweak?

I'm looking for a tweak that allows one to edit a song and put some album artwork on that song from the iPhone. The blue music note is getting a bit old. I'd rather not have to go through every track on iTunes and "Find Album Artwork" everything. That feature on iTunes is pretty terrible anyway, since half the time it gets the wrong artwork. So I'm looking for a tweak that will automatically go through and put album artwork on my songs, or at least let me do it myself.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,509 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 182

agreed. the iTunes "Find Album Artwork" feature is a complete joke!

now that i am using Pandora Downloader, i would like to know the process on how to do this manually as well
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by BLiNK View Post

now that i am using Pandora Downloader, i would like to know the process on how to do this manually as well
    My sentiments exactly. Watching this thread with interest.

Scarlet

Sent from my jailbroken and heavily tweaked iPhone 4 using Tapatalk .
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Bumpity bump bump bump ...

Lol!

Sent from my jailbroken and heavily tweaked iPhone 4 using Tapatalk .
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iMore Beginner

iOS Version

Haha thanks for supporting this guys XD I guess there isn't anything out there that can do this. Maybe I just gave a tweak developer who stumbled upon my plee the perfect idea to make a tweak =P
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts

Default Re: Album Artwork Tweak?

Hi everybody, I just discovered the app Musaic, which is an innovative music player that has an amazingly easy and effective way to add or change album art for any song on your iphone. However, I have yet to see (or figure out how to make possible for) it be reflected in the iphone music app and then also synced back to itunes on my macbook. I do recommend Musaic anyway as a way to re-engage with your music library through tiled images of the album art!
    iMore Elite

iOS Version

yay for zombie threads...
    but gives me a chance to remind blink that he used to be one of us....
    but now hes just imperial scum!
    Quote Originally Posted by BLiNK View Post

iMore Guru

iOS Version

What ever happened to 3under2 I wonder? Old threads ftw
    iPhone Newbie

iOS Version

The "Find Album Artwork" feature for iTunes is dependent on you having the correct tags. It uses the artist/album info (at the least) to look up the artwork from the iTunes store. Technically, if it's available in iTunes, there's artwork for it. You will just have to make sure the tags are correct and match up. If so, it will download 600x600 artwork. I've never had a problem with it retrieving artwork, and the cases where there was a problem, there was just a discrepancy between what the iTunes store had the artist listed as, compared to what I had tagged it as. The first example that comes to my mind is (hed)PE. There's like 20 different ways you can do that, but it doesn't matter-- the iTunes store has it officially listed under "(Hed) Planet Earth". It was not finding artwork for them... I did a quick look-up to find what would match, changed the artist name tag, and rechecked; boom... how you like that? Pulled it right down.

So if you're sloppy and you have all kinds of whack tags with missing, shoddy or incorrect info... you're gonna have bad luck with that feature. Personally, I'm very meticulous about keeping my music collection tagged properly. It's easy when you rip your own albums... just tag the stuff properly when you first rip the CD and you won't have to worry about it.

Personally, I have my whole CD collection ripped to FLAC with embedded CUE file. I use EAC to rip and create the CUE, then I use foobar2000 to embed the CUE file (which automatically will populate most of the tags)... and then I embed the artwork as well as keep a copy outside as folder.jpg so I get an album thumbnail on the folder... then I can transcode to any format/bitrate on the fly from the lossless source file. Transcoding to lossy formats to go on iDevices is very quick and it copies all of the tag data over, so you don't have any extra work to do. Have it transcode and dump to "Automatically add to iTunes" folder under the main iTunes folder and you don't even have to pull it over to iTunes.

There are lots of easy ways to manage your collection, but iTunes is not ideal, that's for sure... foobar2000 and certain plugins (and learning how to use it effectively to completely automate things that could take hours to do manually)-- that's the key to managing your collection effectively. If you don't already use it, you should be... it's insanely powerful (though very plain and simplistic looking if you leave it using the default look). That actually fooled me years back because I thought if it looks so old school and basic it's gotta be a POS. WRONG. Then I realized you can skin it to look like pretty much any way you want and the plugins add all kinds of extra functions if you need them.

Just my opinion, obviously. Point of it all is, though, the key to that function working in iTunes is CORRECT TAGGING. If you don't have that taken care of, yeah... look for another solution cause iTunes is going to make your life hell unless your music collection is already shaped up and proper.
    iMore Elite

iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by getdamned View Post
    The "Find Album Artwork" feature for iTunes is dependent on you having the correct tags. It uses the artist/album info (at the least) to look up the artwork from the iTunes store. Technically, if it's available in iTunes, there's artwork for it. You will just have to make sure the tags are correct and match up. If so, it will download 600x600 artwork. I've never had a problem with it retrieving artwork, and the cases where there was a problem, there was just a discrepancy between what the iTunes store had the artist listed as, compared to what I had tagged it as. The first example that comes to my mind is (hed)PE. There's like 20 different ways you can do that, but it doesn't matter-- the iTunes store has it officially listed under "(Hed) Planet Earth". It was not finding artwork for them... I did a quick look-up to find what would match, changed the artist name tag, and rechecked; boom... how you like that? Pulled it right down.

So if you're sloppy and you have all kinds of whack tags with missing, shoddy or incorrect info... you're gonna have bad luck with that feature. Personally, I'm very meticulous about keeping my music collection tagged properly. It's easy when you rip your own albums... just tag the stuff properly when you first rip the CD and you won't have to worry about it.

Personally, I have my whole CD collection ripped to FLAC with embedded CUE file. I use EAC to rip and create the CUE, then I use foobar2000 to embed the CUE file (which automatically will populate most of the tags)... and then I embed the artwork as well as keep a copy outside as folder.jpg so I get an album thumbnail on the folder... then I can transcode to any format/bitrate on the fly from the lossless source file. Transcoding to lossy formats to go on iDevices is very quick and it copies all of the tag data over, so you don't have any extra work to do. Have it transcode and dump to "Automatically add to iTunes" folder under the main iTunes folder and you don't even have to pull it over to iTunes.

There are lots of easy ways to manage your collection, but iTunes is not ideal, that's for sure... foobar2000 and certain plugins (and learning how to use it effectively to completely automate things that could take hours to do manually)-- that's the key to managing your collection effectively. If you don't already use it, you should be... it's insanely powerful (though very plain and simplistic looking if you leave it using the default look). That actually fooled me years back because I thought if it looks so old school and basic it's gotta be a POS. WRONG. Then I realized you can skin it to look like pretty much any way you want and the plugins add all kinds of extra functions if you need them.

Just my opinion, obviously. Point of it all is, though, the key to that function working in iTunes is CORRECT TAGGING. If you don't have that taken care of, yeah... look for another solution cause iTunes is going to make your life hell unless your music collection is already shaped up and proper.
    so, someone such as myself, with a jacked up fragmented library... foobar will help me get it sorted?
    what plugins would i get too?
    iPhone Newbie

iOS Version

Default Album Artwork Tweak?

Quote Originally Posted by 3cit View Post
    so, someone such as myself, with a jacked up fragmented library... foobar will help me get it sorted?
    what plugins would i get too?
    Surely. If you're serious and would like my help it's probably something done via private message, as there's sure to be a lot of personal questions about your specific circumstances and library that wouldn't be applicable or benefit the public viewers enough to warrant posting of a barrage of personal conversation. Msg me and I'll be glad to help you out. Maybe we can find the time/way to talk real-time; that would really speed the process up. So do that if you truly want to give it a shot.