Possible to erase everything except jailbreak?

Jtshurtleff

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
I am selling my iPhone but I want to sell it as a jailbroken phone. Obviously it is impossible to restore and rejailbreak because Apple doesn't sign 5.0.1 anymore. Any way to delete all of my stuff without unjailbreaking?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
My idevice is not & has never been jailbroken so forgive me if my reply is ignorant. Anyway, cant you just go to Settings-General-reset and then select 'erase all content and data'? I know the term jailbreaking is different from rooting and maybe I'm thinking too much about rooting because I know it quite well. I know that you can erase everything on a rooted device and reinstall the default OS and still be rooted. I'm *assuming* something similar can be done via jailbreak.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

Tanbam

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
No, you CANNOT do this to a jailbroken phone. It will go into a reboot loop.

The only way to completely erase everything is to restore it - and loose the jailbreak if you're on a newer device.

I've been in a similar situation, dealing with a phone that I had to sell unlocked. You can delete all of the app store apps you've installed; they'll go away without a trace.

For all of the other things, just go down the lists in Settings and sign out, remove, and delete everything that has the option. You'll have to use iTunes on a computer to get rid of music and videos.

Some Cydia apps do not remove data when uninstalled, so if you have any sensitive info youll need to look at those a little more carefully.

JustMe'D,

Be careful with giving advice in a jailbreak-related thread if you don't have any experience with the particular issue. Hopefully OP didn't try your suggestion...

Last edited:

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
selling a jailbroken device is too risky, IMHO. as mentioned above there will be sensitive info available that a novice user would not see but an experienced one can retrieve. not to mention if you forget to remove/delete a paid jailbroken app you'd be SOL since most licenses can only be used on ONE device at a time

don't make their problem your problem. somebody will buy it stock

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
...(snipped).

JustMe'D,

Be careful with giving advice in a jailbreak-related thread if you don't have any experience with the particular issue. Hopefully OP didn't try your suggestion...

I wholeheartedly agree and I *thought* my reply was more of a 'thinking out loud' sort of thing. By the way, i didn't 'suggest' anything. I merely asked a question after stating at the very beginning that my idevices were not and have never been jailbroken and to forgive me if my reply was ignorant and apparently it was. Anyway, thank you for your reply because I learned something new today. Take care and enjoy the rest of your evening. ;)

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2