Upgrade IOS on Jailbroken/unlocked iphone

Jude1234

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Hey,
I have an iphone 16gb 3G I think. Model MB705LL. Version 3.1.3 (7E18). Modem firmware 5.12.01. I am trying to upgrade the IOS to a 4.something . I can't download new apps because my IOS is so old. I have it jailbroken and unlocked. I have cydia and I believe it was broken with snow. Is there way to upgrade the IOS? Will I need to re-unlock/jailbreak it after the upgrade?
Thanks,
Jude

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
you cannot update your firmware and still be jailbroken. in your case i believe you can only update to 4.1?? which can obviously be jailbroken but i am unclear about the unlock, very unfamiliar with it really

DRodgers

May 4, 2012
Visit site
IPhone 4

Can some one please give me some info on this.

I was given an old iPhone 4 from my brother when he came to visit me however I am not sure if it is jailbroken or unlocked.

He was using Vodafone ES network and said he has never used any other network so did not know if the phone was locked to it or not. Anyway I put in my Movistar network SIM and the iPhone was fine, I have made calls and received calls on it as well as text messages. I assume therefore that it is unlocked.

As I wanted to delete everything on the phone which my brother left on it, I synced it to my PC and told iTunes to restore it back to factory settings. iTunes then said there was also a new firmware available 5.1 and would I like to install this at the same time as wiping and restoring it. I said okay. While it was doing this I had a horrible thought that if the phone was unlocked then restoring it back to factory settings and/or installing the new iOS would re-lock it. However on first boot up it asked me to activate the phone which I did and so far so good, everything is still working fine with my Movistar SIM.

So what I would like to know is, is my phone jailbroken or just unlocked? Will I have problems in the future if I install the next new firmware update (i.e. is it going to re-lock the phone even though it did not the first time), etc.?

Any info would help!

Thanks.

D.

1982ollie

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Can some one please give me some info on this.

I was given an old iPhone 4 from my brother when he came to visit me however I am not sure if it is jailbroken or unlocked.

He was using Vodafone ES network and said he has never used any other network so did not know if the phone was locked to it or not. Anyway I put in my Movistar network SIM and the iPhone was fine, I have made calls and received calls on it as well as text messages. I assume therefore that it is unlocked.

As I wanted to delete everything on the phone which my brother left on it, I synced it to my PC and told iTunes to restore it back to factory settings. iTunes then said there was also a new firmware available 5.1 and would I like to install this at the same time as wiping and restoring it. I said okay. While it was doing this I had a horrible thought that if the phone was unlocked then restoring it back to factory settings and/or installing the new iOS would re-lock it. However on first boot up it asked me to activate the phone which I did and so far so good, everything is still working fine with my Movistar SIM.

So what I would like to know is, is my phone jailbroken or just unlocked? Will I have problems in the future if I install the next new firmware update (i.e. is it going to re-lock the phone even though it did not the first time), etc.?

Any info would help!

Thanks.

D.

Just a tip, you should start a new thread in future unless you are replying to someone. Anyway....

Your device is now not jailbroken and it may not have been jailbroken in the first place. It sounds like the phone is hardware un locked. Or the orignal network was set to Movistar. So it could have been jailbroken and unlocked to use Vodafone.

When you get a chance try another Sim in it and if it works, then it is factory un locked. If it doesn't work, then the phone was previously jailboken and un locked, but now isn't.

Just to make it clear, if your phone is locked to a carrier. Then you have to jailbreak it first, so that you can install a software based unlock. So what I'm saying is that your phone has to be jailbroken to unlock it. The only other way it can be unlocked is from factory when you buy it or buying straight from apple.

Hope that makes sense. ;)

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Agreed that it sounds like it's just unlocked. One clarification: there are other scenarios where it could be legitimately unlocked besides those listed above. Especially outside the US, where carriers are much better about allowing unlocks.

OP, I honestly would not update your 3G. To me, 3.1.3 was the last really smooth version of ios for the 3G?everything after that made it too slow.

sherlock

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
I would agree it seems to be simply unlocked. Is there something other than the unlock that makes you think it might be jailbroken? Like Cydia for instance?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77