Use PC Internet over IPhone via USB Cable

wiqionline

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
Hello all,
I have searched many times over net about sharing PC's internet with iphone and got one brief post about that but no luck with. Now yesterday fortunately i got my iPhone online connected over usb through my PC (with internet).
Here I describe step by step process to share PC's internet to your iPhone over USB data cable.
First and for most we need a jailbreak iPhone with Cydia installed.
In iPhone you have to install these things in order to get online through USB Cable.

Jailbreak your iPhone using Redsn0w (recommended) because it auto installs required ssh technique to the iPhone. Install OpenSSH and OpenSSL(usually auto installs with OpenSSH). And make sure that OpenSSH is active, For that you have to install SBSettings with SBSettings to Enable or Disable SSH.
Turn off WIFI and Turn on Data/Edge. Also make sure your APN settings are correct for your Data plan.

Note.
If you jailbreak through blackra1n or any other method except Limera1n (Redsn0w). You must install afc2add through Cydia.

In PC you have to download the latest version of IFunbox v1.9.
Download and install Privoxy v3.0.19.
Download and extract Bitvise Tunnelier

For making iPhone online via USB Cable you all need to do minor change in iPhone's default setting file, called Preferences.plist.
To force the iphone to use http proxy on its primary, gprs/edge interface?
There is no menu in iphone settings to change it (unlike the wifi), it is not documented but it is possible.
The trick is to change the iphone's preferences file in the following location.

/private/var/preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist (for 1.1.3 to 5.0.1 iOS)
You can use IFunbox or Diskaid to drag and drop that preferences.plist file to your locak hard drive and please backup this file another location also.
Now open that file in plist Editor (for Windows) to change it's credentials.
find the area containing text
<key>Interface</key>
<dict>
<key>DeviceName</key>
<string>ip1</string>
<key>Hardware</key>
<string>com.apple.CommCenter</string>
<key>Type</key>
<key>UserDefinedName</key>
<string>com.apple.CommCenter (ip1)</string>
</dict>

right after that line add the following lines

<key>Proxies</key>
<dict>
<key>ProxyAutoConfigEnable</key>
<integer>1</integer>
<key>ProxyAutoConfigURLString</key>
<string>file:///private/var/preferences/proxy.pac</string>
</dict>

so you can find final result as below

<key>Interface</key>
<dict>
<key>DeviceName</key>
<string>ip1</string>
<key>Hardware</key>
<key>Type</key>
<key>UserDefinedName</key>
<string>com.apple.CommCenter (ip1)</string>
</dict>
<key>Proxies</key>
<dict>
<key>ProxyAutoConfigEnable</key>
<integer>1</integer>
<key>ProxyAutoConfigURLString</key>
<string>file:///private/var/preferences/proxy.pac</string>
</dict>

Remember not to add Proxies lines under any other Interface because there might be more interface lines with ip2 , ip3 or ip4 strings. So must add after ip1 string's interface. and also if you find already having proxies key, just delete complete key up to </dict>.
in this process we force iphone to call IP from proxy.pac. Now add the proxy.pac file in described directory.

Open notepad and copy paste this text

function FindProxyForURL(url, host)
{ return "PROXY 127.0.0.1:8118"; }

save as name proxy.pac (make sure not to proxy.pac.txt)

now drag this proxy.pac file to
/private/var/preferences/
using iFunbox or diskaid.

Before getting iPhone online you must have replaced Preferences.plist over original one. And also place proxy.pac into defined directory.

Once you get all these things in right direction, Now you are ready to go for step by step process.

Step 1.

Connect iPhone to PC using USB Cable. Close iTunes if opened auto.

Step 2.

Run Privoxy that download and installed earlier. You can minimize Privoxy to sys tray.

Step 3.

Run iFunbox, wait to connect your iPhone and then click on left side named "USB Tunnel" wait for few seconds and you should now see
iOS Port PC Address
22(SSH) IP:22

where IP is your local IP (Example: 192.168.1.3, or 10.10.1.5)

Step 4.

Run TunnelierPortable.exe that you extracted earlier, Enter the IP you find on iFunbox USB Tunnel to the host field under Server into the login tab.
Port = 22
username = root
password = alpine (choose initial method as Password
go to S2C Fwding tab
add these values
Status = Enabled
Listen Interface = 0.0.0.0
List. Port = 8118
Destination Host = 127.0.0.1
Dest. Port = 8118
Comments = Reverse port to Privoxy

Step 5.

Now hit Login button and Yuppy.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
One does not really need to go to all that trouble... if you have a computer with a live, active internet connection - both the Windows & Mac operating systems have provisions to enable the computers to share their internet connection. And it's a lot easier than all that in the original post.

Methinks this is just a disguised ad for iFunbox.

wiqionline

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
Really disappointed me to have your comments. This thread is for those people who don't have wifi or data plan like edge, and there are many people searching for this type of free Internet on their iPhones.
Let me make it clear that this is one time procces and after that you only need to login through tunnelier. I do have 4mb dsl Internet but don't have wifi router so this is precious for me atleast.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Just my two cents but having a wireless router doesn't mean you can afford the monthly Internet bill for that router. I actually went 6 months when times got hard without Internet or cable tv .. Maybe the op chose to have a phone instead of home Internet

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Tanbam

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
Really disappointed me to have your comments. This thread is for those people who don't have wifi or data plan like edge, and there are many people searching for this type of free Internet on their iPhones.
Let me make it clear that this is one time procces and after that you only need to login through tunnelier. I do have 4mb dsl Internet but don't have wifi router so this is precious for me atleast.

Sorry for all of the negative comments, but one has to wonder why OP has a 4Mb connection yet no wifi. As several people have posted, wifi is really darn easy to come by. Easier than following all of those steps, at least.

There is a reason why OP couldn't find much on Google regarding this configuration...

haxrnick

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I guess I can see where the OP is coming from. I'm in a situation at work that this would come in handy. I get basically zero signal in my office. While they do have wifi there, only a select few have access to it. The rest of us are simply using the hard cable. So this would allow me to get data to my phone the same way wifi would I assume.

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I guess I can see where the OP is coming from. I'm in a situation at work that this would come in handy. I get basically zero signal in my office. While they do have wifi there, only a select few have access to it. The rest of us are simply using the hard cable. So this would allow me to get data to my phone the same way wifi would I assume.

Yeah but as mentioned before there is a MUCH easier way to do this with default computer applications

wiqionline

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
Yeah but as mentioned before there is a MUCH easier way to do this with default computer applications

i have mentioned that this is first time you get to set all these things, now i am using all with simple 2 steps every time.
btw I love to know what are the default computer applications that can lead anyone to use pc internet over iphone without wifi......

Tanbam

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
As much as I love my iPhone, if I'm close enough to a computer to be plugged into it, I'm using the computer instead. The list of things that my phone truly does better than a computer is very short.

wiqionline

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
As much as I love my iPhone, if I'm close enough to a computer to be plugged into it, I'm using the computer instead. The list of things that my phone truly does better than a computer is very short.

Truly me too use pc instead of iphone but sometimes i have to update some apps and sources of cydia or anything like, i use pc internet on my iphone.
Also Skype 3g is useful in iphone if u don't have webcam.
Now please no cheap comments on this statement "if u don't have webcam".

sherlock

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site

If you're locked out of the wifi I would be surprised if you could use the method being discussed here. This requires an admin account to add software and make the changes to the computer? Would probably have better luck breaking into the wifi signal than getting this setup?

minkirax

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for such a wonderful article.. I've been searching for this since a year!
I did all the steps correctly, I logged in successfully but still I can't get my iphone connected to the net
ios: 5.0 (jailbroken)
Is it necessary to have a sim card? and what is APN settings?

slick9456

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I have been looking for a post of this sort as well. This is really helpful because at work we have wifi but through a specific client and not the standard default windows client, so only our company lap tops can connect. No other wifi for peripheral devices.

Quick question though, will this work for an Ipod touch Gen 3 with the latest IOS5?

saynt j

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Just my two cents but having a wireless router doesn't mean you can afford the monthly Internet bill for that router. I actually went 6 months when times got hard without Internet or cable tv .. Maybe the op chose to have a phone instead of home Internet

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

I think you read it backwards. The OP is saying how to give the iphone internet access from the PC if there is no wifi or cellular data available (Or if you're on a tiered data plan).

But I think the obvious question was missed here.... If you have the iPhone tethered to your PC, why would you need the iphone to have internet access? Can't you just go online on the PC and do what you have to do?

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR