Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    383 Global Posts

Welcome to 2009
    iPhone Nanite

iOS Version

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by ITS ME DAVID View Post
    Welcome to 2009
    ?????????http://cdn-forums.imore.com/images/icons/icon6.gif
    iMore Elite

iOS Version

Well I have no actual answer except to say that the original post appears to have all the directions necessary for this...
    So you need to be jailbroken, and you need to install OpenSSL and OpenSSH and others....
    Read original post, and follow his instructions
    iPhone Nanite

Default Thanks!!

I've been hoping there is a way to do this. I have a router but would like to access the internet on my computer while doing field work.

Too bad it's not easier. I'd pay you for an app...

Global Posts
    11,961 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by stravis1 View Post
    I've been hoping there is a way to do this. I have a router but would like to access the internet on my computer while doing field work.

Too bad it's not easier. I'd pay you for an app...
    Does the computer have wifi? Or can you add a USB wifi dongle? That's all you need... you then enable your iPhone's wifi hotspot - and your computer can then access the internet via your iPhone. It's very simple, really.
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
    Thanked by:
    3cit (12-26-2012)
    iMore Elite

iOS Version

And this thread is all about giving your iPhone an Internet connection from your computer... Not vice versa.
    Also this thread needs to go away and die, forever like...
    iPhone Nanite

iOS Version

Default A Thanks , but....

Guyz its not about having Wireless router or not , may be your device is having troubles connecting to the wifi because of some problem ....
    may be you want to do some other things through your pc ....

Anyway , i have done everything in this section correctly but the password ( alpine ) isnt working at all !!
    if you can help i would be grateful
    iMore Intermediate

Weren't there some iPhones sold in China that didn't come with WiFi?

Geez, it seems like it's about time to start a revolution and join the rest of the world, technologically speaking.
    iMore Elite

iOS Version

why wont this thread die!!!!!!
    its like the st louis cardinals last year, if we arent careful, this thread is going to win the world series!!! just kill and bury this damn thread
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,887 Global Posts
    iOS Version

For real. Four people in the entire world care about this.
    iMore Guru

iOS Version

I refuse to post in this thread. Oops, now you made me go and do it! LOL
    iPhone Nanite

Interesting to read that this topic is irrelevant for most people. There is an angle you obviously have not considered.

Being electro-sensitive, I can not be near any WIFI or active 3G device without suffering massive headaches, fatigue, and severe hangover symptoms the rest of the day and next day.

I have wanted to buy an iPad ever since they came on the market, but without the ability to be online with it, the options for using it are somewhat limited.

I would love to be able to sit on my couch and have an iPad in my lap, using it for all it can muster by being online through some cable connected to my laptop.

If the protocol listed in the first post would be possible to apply also for an iPod, I would be one happy camper.

Anyone that can confirm that this will work for an iPad?

(and yes, being electro sensitive is not a dream situation for anyone living in this technology dense
    world. Took me a small fortune to shield my home from all neighbouring wifi's and 3G phones, not to mention celltowers...)

>wave
    iPhone Nanite

Quote Originally Posted by totalimmortal View Post
    For real. Four people in the entire world care about this.
    Not true. I know thousands of electro sensitives who would want to enjoy the great technology of an iPad or iPhone if they could be online without any electro magnetic frequencies messing up our biochemistry...

>wave
    iMore Elite

iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by nextwave View Post
    Interesting to read that this topic is irrelevant for most people. There is an angle you obviously have not considered.

Being electro-sensitive, I can not be near any WIFI or active 3G device without suffering massive headaches, fatigue, and severe hangover symptoms the rest of the day and next day.

I have wanted to buy an iPad ever since they came on the market, but without the ability to be online with it, the options for using it are somewhat limited.

I would love to be able to sit on my couch and have an iPad in my lap, using it for all it can muster by being online through some cable connected to my laptop.

If the protocol listed in the first post would be possible to apply also for an iPod, I would be one happy camper.

Anyone that can confirm that this will work for an iPad?

(and yes, being electro sensitive is not a dream situation for anyone living in this technology dense
    world. Took me a small fortune to shield my home from all neighbouring wifi's and 3G phones, not to mention celltowers...)

>wave
    i know this is insensitive... but i cannot tell you enough how much i wish this to be true!!!!! im probably being so insensitive because of all the electronic devices in and around my house...
    anyways, the irony here is beyond astounding.

also i told you people that we needed to be careful with this thread!! look at what has happened, we let it live and now with 1 comment it has become the greatest thread in the world.
    iPhone Nanite

3cit, at least thank you for responding.

But the sad fact is, that this is reality for a lot of people.
    And even though you may not have any problems with
    radiation yourself does not mean that is does not excist.

Same with allergies, some people have them and some don't.

An interesting detail is that Apple discretely added to their
    iPhone user manual 2 years ago that they do not recommend
    user to have an active iPhone closer than 1 inch to their body.
    Now why is that? If radiation is not an issue, why do they need
    to add that to their manual?

Anyway, I don't want to ponder on about this issue, there
    are endless angles and real life references about its validity,
    but I am merely interested to hear if there is a solution to the
    iPad online by cable scenario.

But, as a cautionary measure, I would still recommend you
    to have all radiation emitting devices turned off when not in use.
    If nothing else, it will make you sleep better and give your body
    some rest from it's stress response to the radiation...

>wave
    iMore Elite

iOS Version

i googled it, and for what its worth, there is information about electrosensitivity...
    i still think it is some crazy mumbo jumbo... just sayin....

that being said, you should just follow the instructions from the original post and see if it works....
    iPhone Nanite

Default very useful post

wi-fi is usually restricted in companies out of security concerns. I'm searching for such a solution to save moeney, my data plan is 100MB
    iMore Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by nextwave View Post
    3cit, at least thank you for responding.

But the sad fact is, that this is reality for a lot of people.
    And even though you may not have any problems with
    radiation yourself does not mean that is does not excist.

Same with allergies, some people have them and some don't.

An interesting detail is that Apple discretely added to their
    iPhone user manual 2 years ago that they do not recommend
    user to have an active iPhone closer than 1 inch to their body.
    Now why is that? If radiation is not an issue, why do they need
    to add that to their manual?

Anyway, I don't want to ponder on about this issue, there
    are endless angles and real life references about its validity,
    but I am merely interested to hear if there is a solution to the
    iPad online by cable scenario.

But, as a cautionary measure, I would still recommend you
    to have all radiation emitting devices turned off when not in use.
    If nothing else, it will make you sleep better and give your body
    some rest from it's stress response to the radiation...

>wave
    I can't beleive this thread's legs. Anyway, if there is anybody who would have been messed up by EM radiation, it would be me. I don't claim any extra-special sensitivity, but in the Navy, I used to work on a transmitter that was so powerful that I could "hear" if it was transmitting or not as I approched the facility. It was AM, so I don't know if if was my metal tooth fillings or something else, but I could clearly hear the morse code beacon information.

There was also a maintenance procedure that we would always make the new guy do whenever possible, because the area was so confined that you had to straddle the antenna load. You would have to take a break when you started feeling your naughty bits start to tingle.

In any case, I've survived all of that with no harmful effects, and the frequencies nowadays have a lot less penetrating power. I've sired four healthy kids after many trips to the "hot seat".

If someone is NOT allergic to peanuts, it's not practical to tell them to stay away from them just in case. If you're not sensitive to EM fields, I wouldn't really be worried about it.

If nextwave is indeed as sensitive as claimed, I don't know how he could possibly survive in today's world unless he lived in a Faraday cage 24 hours a day. The world is completely filled with EM, natural and artificial.
    iPhone Nanite

Default thanx

thanx buddy i have my 3g with no wifi fault. and i am so thankful to you for this help.thanx again..........
    iMore Elite

iOS Version

once again i just question the use.. if yhou have a computer, why would you want to surf on the iphone?
    its not like searching on the iphone while "tethered" (or whatever this is) is hiding your searching... its still sending the same exact data through your pc wifi connection.... its just showing on your phone instead of your pc monitor
    iPhone Nanite

3cit - you have stated a few times you want this thread to die, because its no use for you or wider majority - do you think everyone who has a use for this, registers to provide feedback to satisfy your silly statistics?

If you have no interest in it, then don't post in here with your useless advice.

you state below

Quote Originally Posted by 3cit View Post
    Yeah but as mentioned before there is a MUCH easier way to do this with default computer applications
    How exactly? please enlighten us and actually contribute something meaningful to this topic.

To OP - Thank you!
    iPhone Nanite

Default Think beyond your tiny tiny world

After water damage rendered my wifi useless, It would be nice to have a way to download large apps that will NOT download through 3G or would take too damn long. And no I'm not going to spend $149 to replace this POS iphone. I guess it's file 13 for this paper weight.

Thankfully, my personal phone is a HTC Rezound. Internet pass-through is a default option.

oo!oo Apple, thanks for nothing.
    iMore Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by Icyman View Post
    After water damage rendered my wifi useless, It would be nice to have a way to download large apps that will NOT download through 3G or would take too damn long. And no I'm not going to spend $149 to replace this POS iphone. I guess it's file 13 for this paper weight.

Thankfully, my personal phone is a HTC Rezound. Internet pass-through is a default option.

oo!oo Apple, thanks for nothing.
    Again, if you're going so far as to connect the phone to a computer via a USB cable, why not just download the app on the computer itself instead of the phone? This is like trying to hack a 3 1/2" floppy drive to plug into a SATA port. It might be possible, but what is the point?
    iMore Elite

iOS Version

Default Use PC Internet over IPhone via USB Cable

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalFreak99 View Post
    3cit - you have stated a few times you want this thread to die, because its no use for you or wider majority - do you think everyone who has a use for this, registers to provide feedback to satisfy your silly statistics?

If you have no interest in it, then don't post in here with your useless advice.

you state below

How exactly? please enlighten us and actually contribute something meaningful to this topic.

To OP - Thank you!
    Clearly YOU registered to make a comment to me...
    Silly troll!

And I have contributed
    MUCH to this RIDICULOUS TOPIC.

And this is seriously my favorite thread ever now and I'm going to nurture it and kelp it safe forever...
    iPhone Nanite

Default Re: Use PC Internet over IPhone via USB Cable

thanks it worked for me
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast