Iphone 4s, factory restore help/questions

JohnKreese

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I have a jailbroken Sprint 4s that was working just fine until this afternoon when my wife decided to upgrade her phone on our joint account. The Sprint rep screwed up initially and put her phone on my number before fixing it. The damage however was already done, and now my phone can no longer activate the cellular data network despite several attempts with Sprint CS. I can make phone calls, get texts/voicemals, and I can use internet functions as long as I am on a wifi network, but cannot do anything data wise over 3g. The Sprint rep says that the next thing to do at this point is to factory restore the phone through iTunes.

This is my first time with an iPhone and jail breaking, so I want to make sure that I understand this as it looks like it's more complicated/painful than doing the same thing on my old Pre. My understanding from reading the guides and forums is that once I hook the phone up to iTunes and restore it, my jailbreak is toast and I'll automatically be on iOS 5.1 until a new jailbreak comes out. What I'm wondering is does anybody know of any other tricks that could get my phone back up on the cell data network other than restoring it through iTunes, and if not what steps do I need to take to preserve all of my Cydia stuff so I don't have to pay for the apps again in the future when a new jailbreak comes out? Is just getting my Cydia account information enough or do I need to download an app to help preserve the data? I think I'm pretty much sol here, but being new and fairly clueless I want to make sure before I take the plunge as my jailbreak has really been the thing to make me at peace with the phone post web-OS. Thanks for any help!

JohnKreese

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried just restoring network settings?

Yes I've tried that a few times to no avail thus far. I've been trying to scrounge up some additional research on this, the DFU mode in particular which I'm not sure I understand 100% (seems common!) I've read that the DFU mode can not be used to restore devices like the 4s back to previous firmware, but I'm unclear on what it will do with a device like mine that is already on 5.0.1. Will it still load the new 5.1 or will it just restore to 5.0.1 allowing me to then rejailbreak my phone? Seems like that's my only hope, beyond keeping the jb and putting up with no data outside of wifi until a 5.1 jb comes out for the 4s.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
If you have to restore it will go to 5.1 dfu mode just puts the phone in a state to be able to get software once 5.1 is out apple stops signing the 5.01 file do if you restore it will hang ... In not sure on 5.0.1 but you might be able to save your shsh blobs in tiny umbrella and set tiny umbrella to be the server and do a shift restore with 5.0.1 file ... ... Although I don't think the phone is the issue In not sure about sprint but on Verizon you can redue the programming by dial *228 maybe there is something similar or maybe take phone off your account and then re adding it

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

JohnKreese

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I don't think there's actually anything wrong with the phone itself. I think there is some sort of code that the rep and I tried yesterday to try and get the system to update itself. It didn't work yesterday but it may be worth another try, although I have to find it bc I didn't realize that the iPhone won't save things like codes in the phone history. Removing and reactivating the phone might work too, I'll have to see if there's an option for that on the Sprint website.

djtek

May 19, 2012
Visit site
Having the same problems.

In order for my phone to start using data again, I have to do a hard reset... It will then re-activate to the network. I have a jailbreak on, and everything the way I would ever want it on this phone. I am stuck.

Did anyone find a solution to reactiving on the network, without resetting or being forced to update to the latest 5.1.1??

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
In order for my phone to start using data again, I have to do a hard reset... It will then re-activate to the network. I have a jailbreak on, and everything the way I would ever want it on this phone. I am stuck.

Did anyone find a solution to reactiving on the network, without resetting or being forced to update to the latest 5.1.1??

Turning airplane mode on then off should do the trick for you but you def have something else goin on

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro