Please help..

cheleb

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
Hello-
I am somewhat new at updating my iphone to the newest IOS. I had an older iphone and could always find a video or something that walked me through it step by step, but just so unsure now that I have my 3gs. So what I have is a 3gs unlocked/jailbroken on 4.3.2 it did hare the 06.15.00 baseband when I got it. I?ve had NO issues with the phone, but so would love to get it updated. I?ve just been scared and unsure with so many different things stated out there about bootroms etc? I have backed up my iphone in itunes and also used Tinyumberella to save my current blobs. Just want to assure I am following what is right for me to get the right update.

Can anyone be of help to me in a sure bet way to get my phone updated to the 5.0 IOS, for my particular situation? Thank you SO MUCH in advance for any help you can give me.
Thank you!

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
You should be able to use these instructions: Preserve iPhone 4, 3GS Baseband on iOS 5 Sn0wBreeze [Windows] | iJailbreak.com

The big thing for you is that you can ONLY restore using a CUSTOM firmware because of the ipad baseband. iTunes will not allow you to update or restore to a normal firmware. The above guide uses 5.0 as an example, but if I were you I'd simply use the 5.1 ipsw (the steps will be the same) which will mean you don't have to worry about SHSH blobs, because Apple is currently signing 5.1.

Good luck!

Reactions: cheleb

cheleb

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
Hi Massie-
first of all THANK YOU for your input and direction.. I thought that the 5.1 is a tethered? If it is not, do you know where I can find the custom file for that? In the link you provided it gives the links for the 5.0.1. Again thank you..

And Gixxer07, thank you for guiding a newbie, I do appreicate it. ;)

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
5.1 is tethered for most, but if you have an old bootrom 3GS you'll be untethered. Look into that to see what kind of 3GS you have. Otherwise, yes, you could go to 5.0.1 for untethered IF you have SHSH blobs saved for 5.0.1.

cheleb

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
Sorry I am trying to follow. I am currently on 4.3.2, so can't have 5.0.1 blobs saved until I have upgraded to the 5.0.1. So because of that you are saying that I now can't update my ios until they come out with a untethered 5.1 update? I have a new bootrom.... Thank you

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
No, you can still have blobs saved?did you have Cydia saving them? Run TinyUmbrella and see what you have.

(Blobs are saved based on what Apple is signing, NOT based on what you have installed.)

cheleb

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
Well I just did the backup of shsh last night in tiny umbrella. I know apple stopped signing 5.0.1 a few days back. When I'm in Cydia tho, at the top of the homepage, it shows Shsh IOS 4.1, 4.3.3, 4.3.4, 4.3.5, 5.0.1. So not sure if that is helpful or not... Any further thoughts! Thank you!!

cheleb

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
Hi again.. I just had a minute to go back into tinyumrella and forgot to check the box to request the shsh files. Once I did all of them including the 5.0.1 is now showing in there. So am I correct in thinking it is ok for me to do the update per the link to the article for the 5.0.1 update? And this article is good for the new bootrom 3gs on 06.15.00 correct?
Thanks again for all of your help and insight...

cheleb

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
Also.. I wanted to assure that the custom files (as explained in the article) are in fact designed to preserve the baseband? Or if I needed to check something in redsnow or something to assure the BB is preserved (with it being the 06.15.00). Thank you...and sorry for all the questions.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Sweet! If you have the 5.0.1 SHSH, you should be good to go! Just remember: custom ipsw only, preserve iPad baseband, and read a few walkthroughs first. And no 5.1!

cheleb

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't do unlocks so do some more research but I believe you'll need to check Extras/Custom ipsw if using redsn0w. See more here: How to Get the iOS 5.0.1 Untethered Jailbreak Using RedSn0w

I think the result will have "no_BB" in the file name.
Ok, don't mean to sound dumb... but I liked this most current link you sent using redsnow. I think I found that one prior to the other one you sent to me. But you are right it does not specify what to do for the unlock (or does that happen when it is jailbroken). I think I may be confusing myself, but want to be clear before I move forward...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR