Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 20 of 20
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By BLiNK
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    kilofoxtrot's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    378 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,616 Global Posts

    Question New 4S... JB now or wait until 5.1 is JB'd??

    Looks like iOS 5.1 is right around the corner... I got a 4S 2 days ago. I want to JB. But I am thinking of waiting until 5.1 is set free.

    Is there an advantage to doing it now?
  2. #2  
    Chris Parsons's Avatar
    Super Moderator

    Posts
    440 Posts
    Global Posts
    569 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.3

    Default

    The only advantage is that if you do it now, you'll have a JB device.. if you wait, well.. you may be waiting a while as there is no guar. 5.1 can even be JB.
    Chris Parsons
    Twitter: @Bla1ze

    [ Mobile Nations Sites: Android, iOS, Windows Phone, BlackBerry ]
    Thanked by:
    reltm (02-24-2012)
  3. #3  
    BLiNK's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    8,216 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,563 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 182

    Default

    it's hard to say if there will even be a tethered JB for 5.1 since that info is not released until afterwards, obviously

    at minimum i would save your 5.0.1 SHSH Blobs. that way you can always go back to 5.0.1 anytime you wish. look into iFaith or TinyUmbrella
  4. #4  
    krs7272#AC's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    181 Posts
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5.0.1_A406

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BLiNK View Post

    at minimum i would save your 5.0.1 SHSH Blobs. that way you can always go back to 5.0.1 anytime you wish. look into iFaith or TinyUmbrella
    This is false. Though saving your SHSH blobs is a good idea there currently is no way to downgrade nor restore to 5.0.1 on A5 devices once Apple quits signing them.




    Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
  5. #5  
    3cit's Avatar
    iMore Elite

    Posts
    2,696 Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by krs7272 View Post
    This is false. Though saving your SHSH blobs is a good idea there currently is no way to downgrade nor restore to 5.0.1 on A5 devices once Apple quits signing them.




    Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    How have you come to this conclusion?? Are you running 5.1?
  6. #6  
    BLiNK's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    8,216 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,563 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 182

    Default

    good point, i forgot about the fact that A5 is indeed different when it comes to blobs and how they, currently, cannot be saved

    so then the OP might as well jailbreak now and hope he never has to restore, and any other A5 users, once 5.0.1 is no longer being signed?
  7. #7  
    krs7272#AC's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    181 Posts
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5.0.1_A406

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 3cit View Post
    How have you come to this conclusion?? Are you running 5.1?
    search. the truth is out there...
  8. #8  
    Massie's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    4,983 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,988 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.4

    Default

    No question: do it now. No sense in waiting for something that may not exist.
  9. #9  
    Tanbam's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    190 Posts

    Default

    Recently, there was a strong suggestion from a couple of the guys who developed the untethered 5.0.1 jailbreak to download a certain app from the App Store before it disappeared or was upgraded. Their advice was to download it and copy the .ipa file someplace safe. I'm not sure what the rules are here regarding this, so I won't mention it by name, but the app is still available and is free.

    In any case, it might be inferred that this app has some kind of repeatable crash that could be exploited in a future firmware and allow jailbreak code to be injected. If this is the case, the next firmware might be jailbroken quickly, but be dependent on installing this app.

    Better safe than sorry, right?
  10. #10  
    BLiNK's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    8,216 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,563 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tanbam View Post
    Recently, there was a strong suggestion from a couple of the guys who developed the untethered 5.0.1 jailbreak to download a certain app from the App Store before it disappeared or was upgraded. Their advice was to download it and copy the .ipa file someplace safe. I'm not sure what the rules are here regarding this, so I won't mention it by name, but the app is still available and is free.

    In any case, it might be inferred that this app has some kind of repeatable crash that could be exploited in a future firmware and allow jailbreak code to be injected. If this is the case, the next firmware might be jailbroken quickly, but be dependent on installing this app.

    Better safe than sorry, right?
    yes sir, done.

    http://forums.imore.com/jailbreak-un...jailbreak.html
    Tanbam likes this.
  11. #11  
    krs7272#AC's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    181 Posts
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5.0.1_A406

    Default

    That's right I forgot all about this. Bit IIRC didn't MuscleNerd say this had nothing to do with an exploit though?


    Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
  12. #12  
    Tanbam's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    190 Posts

    Default

    I kind of got the impression that they wouldn't ADMIT to it being a possible exploit. It's still looks to me like a "no comment" situation, which almost always makes me think that there's more to the story.

    There's no reason NOT to do it, though...
  13. #13  
    krs7272#AC's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    181 Posts
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5.0.1_A406

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tanbam View Post
    I kind of got the impression that they wouldn't ADMIT to it being a possible exploit. It's still looks to me like a "no comment" situation, which almost always makes me think that there's more to the story.

    There's no reason NOT to do it, though...
    Yup same here. I got it just in case. Though I have to wonder if it was a usable exploit they wouldn't want the few who thought as we did to be only ones to be able to use it.


    Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
  14. #14  
    Sharma15's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    433 Posts
    Global Posts
    823 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.0.1

    Default

    There is no telling whether we will have a JB for 5.1. Apple has been cracking down for years now and no one knows if the future JB will be untethered like it is for 5.0.1. It is worth is in my opinion. It doesn't slow down the device noticeably and you have a lot of options with jail breaking.


    Sent from my Facebook Machine using Tapatalk.
  15. #15  
    stillriza's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    11 Posts

    Default

    Why take a chance? If you don't JB now and 5.1 hits, then I am pretty sure you'll regret it. Having to wait maybe months before a JB is even available, if even possible. Besides, what's holding you back. You can JB in a couple mins with absinthe and tweak your hearts content. When 5.1 comes around, you can upgrade when a JB is available.
  16. #16  
    BLiNK's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    8,216 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,563 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sharma15 View Post
    There is no telling whether we will have a JB for 5.1. Apple has been cracking down for years now and no one knows if the future JB will be untethered like it is for 5.0.1.
    Quote Originally Posted by stillriza View Post
    Having to wait maybe months before a JB is even available, if even possible
    THESE reasons right here are what is compelling me to go stock and stay that way

    always having to wait to update is getting old, tbh. this has to drive anyone crazy who actually depends on jailbreaking
  17. #17  
    talkin73's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    286 Posts
    Global Posts
    737 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BLiNK View Post
    THESE reasons right here are what is compelling me to go stock and stay that way

    always having to wait to update is getting old, tbh. this has to drive anyone crazy who actually depends on jailbreaking
    What's the harm in waiting to update the OS? I suppose if they offered something really great in these intermediate updates that would be one thing but most of the time it's small things, at least AFAIC. iOS6 isn't going to show up until the next device which I'd find hard to imagine will show up before October. That's a whole lotta JB login' over the next 7-8 months ;-) The minor software instabilities are what make me frustrated with JB'ing. Until iOS 5 I had virtually none of that and it may just be the apps I've installed that cause the problems, which is probably the case. But, unless 5.1 offers something really compelling then I am fine waiting months (or never) to update. When iOS 6 comes out, I can consider that on it's own merit and decide on both the new device and the OS at the same time.
  18. #18  
    spectator52's Avatar
    iPhone Nanite

    Posts
    2 Posts
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts

    Default

    I have been rooting android phones over the last few years and thinking about getting an iphone and would like to JB. This thread has been helpful but i need one thing clarified for me.

    Worst case scenario: Let's say IOS 5.1 could not be Jail Broken. Now I want to go back to stock...Am I able to do a factory-restore anytime on itunes that would then eventually put me on the latest IOS--so in this example 5.1?

    I think I am confused since (from what I understand) saving my SHSH blob doesn't really do me any good. But, if I can always restore on Itunes, what is the downside?
  19. #19  
    Tanbam's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    190 Posts

    Default

    On any device before the iPhone 4S, you can always downgrade to any firmware that you had previously saved SHSH blobs for. This should remain the case forever.

    With the 4S (and presumably after) you can save your current SHSH blobs, but there is currently no way to downgrade. You can only restore firmware that Apple is currently signing. Once Apple goes to a new firmware, it may not ever be safe to restore again if you want to remain jailbroken.

    I'd like to believe that the wizards will come up with a downgrade solution for the 4S, but there is also the possibility that they won't.
  20. #20  
    BLiNK's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    8,216 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,563 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by talkin73 View Post
    What's the harm in waiting to update the OS? I suppose if they offered something really great in these intermediate updates that would be one thing but most of the time it's small things, at least AFAIC. iOS6 isn't going to show up until the next device which I'd find hard to imagine will show up before October. That's a whole lotta JB login' over the next 7-8 months ;-) The minor software instabilities are what make me frustrated with JB'ing. Until iOS 5 I had virtually none of that and it may just be the apps I've installed that cause the problems, which is probably the case. But, unless 5.1 offers something really compelling then I am fine waiting months (or never) to update. When iOS 6 comes out, I can consider that on it's own merit and decide on both the new device and the OS at the same time.
    agreed with the instability issues of JB apps/tweaks in iOS 5 vs 4.x.x . it makes me wonder if Apple is starting to gain a little bit of an edge in the Jailbreak battle

    i do not know what is happening to me lately but i am finding it more and more difficult to justify why i should jailbreak. maybe i am just getting burnt out on the whole process. i will be updating to 5.1 (GM) and if there are just minor changes i will probably go back to 5.0.1 and JB... i guess

Posting Permissions