New 4S... JB now or wait until 5.1 is JB'd??
Looks like iOS 5.1 is right around the corner... I got a 4S 2 days ago. I want to JB. But I am thinking of waiting until 5.1 is set free.
Is there an advantage to doing it now?
- 02-24-2012, 07:17 PM #2
- 02-24-2012, 08:50 PM #3
it's hard to say if there will even be a tethered JB for 5.1 since that info is not released until afterwards, obviously
at minimum i would save your 5.0.1 SHSH Blobs. that way you can always go back to 5.0.1 anytime you wish. look into iFaith or TinyUmbrella
- 02-24-2012, 09:06 PM #4
- 02-24-2012, 09:26 PM #5
- 02-24-2012, 09:27 PM #6
good point, i forgot about the fact that A5 is indeed different when it comes to blobs and how they, currently, cannot be saved
so then the OP might as well jailbreak now and hope he never has to restore, and any other A5 users, once 5.0.1 is no longer being signed?
- 02-24-2012, 09:41 PM #7
- 02-24-2012, 10:18 PM #8
- 02-25-2012, 04:21 AM #9
Recently, there was a strong suggestion from a couple of the guys who developed the untethered 5.0.1 jailbreak to download a certain app from the App Store before it disappeared or was upgraded. Their advice was to download it and copy the .ipa file someplace safe. I'm not sure what the rules are here regarding this, so I won't mention it by name, but the app is still available and is free.
In any case, it might be inferred that this app has some kind of repeatable crash that could be exploited in a future firmware and allow jailbreak code to be injected. If this is the case, the next firmware might be jailbroken quickly, but be dependent on installing this app.
Better safe than sorry, right?
- 02-25-2012, 04:31 AM #10
- 02-25-2012, 08:10 AM #11
- 02-25-2012, 12:27 PM #12
I kind of got the impression that they wouldn't ADMIT to it being a possible exploit. It's still looks to me like a "no comment" situation, which almost always makes me think that there's more to the story.
There's no reason NOT to do it, though...
- 02-25-2012, 01:47 PM #13
- 02-25-2012, 01:50 PM #14
There is no telling whether we will have a JB for 5.1. Apple has been cracking down for years now and no one knows if the future JB will be untethered like it is for 5.0.1. It is worth is in my opinion. It doesn't slow down the device noticeably and you have a lot of options with jail breaking.
Sent from my Facebook Machine using Tapatalk.
- 02-29-2012, 04:37 PM #15iPhone Newbie
- 11 Posts
- 0 Post(s)
- 0 Thread(s)
Why take a chance? If you don't JB now and 5.1 hits, then I am pretty sure you'll regret it. Having to wait maybe months before a JB is even available, if even possible. Besides, what's holding you back. You can JB in a couple mins with absinthe and tweak your hearts content. When 5.1 comes around, you can upgrade when a JB is available.
- 02-29-2012, 05:02 PM #16
- 02-29-2012, 09:30 PM #17
- 03-01-2012, 12:43 AM #18
I have been rooting android phones over the last few years and thinking about getting an iphone and would like to JB. This thread has been helpful but i need one thing clarified for me.
Worst case scenario: Let's say IOS 5.1 could not be Jail Broken. Now I want to go back to stock...Am I able to do a factory-restore anytime on itunes that would then eventually put me on the latest IOS--so in this example 5.1?
I think I am confused since (from what I understand) saving my SHSH blob doesn't really do me any good. But, if I can always restore on Itunes, what is the downside?
- 03-01-2012, 01:09 AM #19
On any device before the iPhone 4S, you can always downgrade to any firmware that you had previously saved SHSH blobs for. This should remain the case forever.
With the 4S (and presumably after) you can save your current SHSH blobs, but there is currently no way to downgrade. You can only restore firmware that Apple is currently signing. Once Apple goes to a new firmware, it may not ever be safe to restore again if you want to remain jailbroken.
I'd like to believe that the wizards will come up with a downgrade solution for the 4S, but there is also the possibility that they won't.
- 03-03-2012, 09:07 AM #20
i do not know what is happening to me lately but i am finding it more and more difficult to justify why i should jailbreak. maybe i am just getting burnt out on the whole process. i will be updating to 5.1 (GM) and if there are just minor changes i will probably go back to 5.0.1 and JB... i guess