• Tetherme - no notification

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Tetherme - notified by AT&T

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

foster2380

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
So I'm going on a trip shortly and don't want to pay $10 a day for hotel wi-fi. I have the unlimited data plan through AT&T and am attempting to research which of the main three tethering apps has allowed people to fly under the radar and not get the nasty threats from AT&T.

My research has been mainly threads on various boards and while most allege the amount of data is the actual attention-getter (high usage) some claim to have used very little data and still gotten a notification from AT&T.

So vote, and it might help if you respond with a post to say what your data usage was before you were flagged.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
MyWi user here, have been for a couple of years now. grandfathered into the unlimited plan (at&t) i average anywhere between 2gb - 7gb, per month, and have yet to receive anything

does not mean you will not either. if what i have been reading lately is correct some of it may have to do with your geographical location(s)

spyPhone_im

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
From what I've heard, the notifications from AT&T are based on how much money your monthly bill is. So if you're on a family plan and have U-Verse, you're less likely to get a warning than if you're a single user paying the minimum. Might be nice to see if you post what app you use and whether you're on a family plan or not.

I'm on the unlimited plan (grandfathered in) with TetherMe on a family plan. No message from at&t.

foster2380

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I used to use MyWi and got the nasty threats. Three times before they pulled my plug. Maybe PDANet is safer.

How much data were you using prior to the notifications?

From what I've heard, the notifications from AT&T are based on how much money your monthly bill is. So if you're on a family plan and have U-Verse, you're less likely to get a warning than if you're a single user paying the minimum. Might be nice to see if you post what app you use and whether you're on a family plan or not.

I'm on the unlimited plan (grandfathered in) with TetherMe on a family plan. No message from at&t.

This is interesting and might explain the apparent "no rhyme or reason" threads I've been seeing.

chadillacaz81

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Im on AT&T unlimited data grandfathered in as well. Im on the family plan and i use MyWi. Im not sure on how much data i use on the reg but its up there. I recently got a nasty text stating i was subject to throttling but nothing about using MyWi. Does anyone know how to get my iphone onto my hotspot i created? I switch to adhoc and my iphone sees the network but i cant get on it, but everyone else can. I love the MyWi app. I will continue to use it regardless of my lack of ability to jump on to my hotspot. And screw AT&T they are using a scare tactic to get me into a smaller data package so that wheni go over it they can charge me extra.....its pure bs!!!

sherlock

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Did we come to a conclusion on this? Possibly in a different thread? I would bet they will know your tethering no matter what app is used.

sphinx23

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
As long as you don't give AT&T any suspicion that you're tethering than you won't hear from them.I was doing about about 5-7GB with no problem than the next two months I maxed at about 30GB.That was the red alert for them which first you'll get an txt message that tethering costs extra,so look at an tethering plan.Then you'll get an letter in the mail stating something like,you must consider an tether plan if you would like to tether your devices.If you don't respond to this by the end of the month we will automatically enroll you into an plan that will best suit your needs.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2