Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    15 Global Posts

Default alarm which overrides?

Im looking for a alarm app which will override my ringer switch(mute) AND when i have volume low as possible. I want to be able to have my phone in my room and have NO NOTIFICATIONS noises at all but still be woken up in morning by alarm. The app can't be jailbreak or not. any word?
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5.0.1_A406

If your jailbroken Alarming will do this

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    119 Global Posts

Isn't this how the stock setup is? Turn off the vibrate option and flip the ringer mute switch to orange. All ringers and notifications will be silent but timers and alarms will still sound. Am I wrong here?
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5.0.1_A406

What I can say is you set the alarming apps volume to what you want alarm to be. It's independent of what phone volume is set at.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by reltm View Post
    Isn't this how the stock setup is? Turn off the vibrate option and flip the ringer mute switch to orange. All ringers and notifications will be silent but timers and alarms will still sound. Am I wrong here?
    Your right, I set phone to silent before bed the alarm will still have sound.

Via Tapatalk
    Twitter: @vietalogy
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    15 Global Posts

The problem is I don't want any other app notifications or sounds to be played during the night but still be woken up in the morning by the alarm. If the basic alarm/clock does this I will have to try all scenarios.Such as ringer mute then ringer mute with volume all the way down, then also airplane mode plus ringer mute and volume all the way down. Also try variations.

Now before I got my iPhone 4 I was on motorola android and they had it were no sound or notifications would come thru yet I was woken up by alarm in the morn.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    119 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Buterdhams View Post
    The problem is I don't want any other app notifications or sounds to be played during the night but still be woken up in the morning by the alarm. If the basic alarm/clock does this I will have to try all scenarios.Such as ringer mute then ringer mute with volume all the way down, then also airplane mode plus ringer mute and volume all the way down. Also try variations.

Now before I got my iPhone 4 I was on motorola android and they had it were no sound or notifications would come thru yet I was woken up by alarm in the morn.
    Are there apps that send notifications that override the ringer mute switch? This would be news to me. None of mine do this. I guess I'm just not aware of any that would cause this problem -- but I'm probably only familiar with a few dozen apps.
  8. Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    15 Global Posts

There was but i can't remember which ones did it at the time. I have just tried airplane mode and ringer switch but keep ringer volume at level i want alarm and seems to work. I shouldn't get any app notifications because i am in airplane mode. but won't get calls either.

Global Posts
    2,467 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I don't know of any apps that override the ringer switch either-that's really bizarre. Something might not be right there...

Beamed from a galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk!
    iMore Forum Moderator
    iPhone 5s ✲ Macbook Pro running Mavericks 10.9 ✲ Apple TV 2nd Gen ✲ Xbox 360 ✲ Nintendo 3DS ✲ PS3

​@laelipoo on Twitter & App.netiMore's 20k Post Challenge
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    5,009 Global Posts
    iOS Version

As someone said above, simply flipping the ringer switch to Mute is all that should be needed. The ONLY noise that will then play are your alarms. I've been doing this every night since getting my first iPhone years ago. No need for airplane mode or a separate app or tweak.