need some insight on jailbreaking...

low06sierra

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Been thinking about jailbreaking my 4s lately but I have a couple questions first.

1. I know I can return it to factory settings if I need to take it in for sevrice but can Apple tell if it has been jailbroken? My friend told me that they can cause it'll mess up the processor.

2. I had seen a video about jailbreaking and said something about needing wifi to get into absinthe to get cydia once the jailbreak has completed. Is that true or is it possible over 3G?

3. Would like some pros & cons about this also.

Been looking at too many screenshots of jailbroken phones and its making me pull the trigger on it..

gthugballin

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Yes If you restore to factory settings and set up as a new device you can take it to apple. The reason u won't want to restore from back up is because your backup could have some cydia left overs that the 'genius' will see. So. Restore set up as new.

I don't know about the wifi question. My guess is yes you need it

Pro/con

Just pros. Phone runs the same. U get quick reply. Themes. Intelliscreen x. The list goes on. If I had to give it a con. It would be u have a potential to mess things up. But a good restore will fix anything u do wrong.

Do it. Have fun. I've done it since the iPhone 2g and I currently have it on my 4s. Works great ^_^

low06sierra

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the info.

Just need a for sure answer on the wifi question. I don't have wifi at home but I do at work. Can I JB it and then wait till tomorrow to do the wifi thing? Will I still be able to get calls/text?

low06sierra

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys, didn't want to make a new thread for just one simple question. I upgraded to 5.1 and I wanna go back to the jailbreak for 5.0.1. Now do I have to downgrade to 5.0.1 to jailbreak again or can I just hook up my phone and do the jailbreak and it'll give me 5.0.1?

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
i see that you are using a 4S? if so, there currently is no way to downgrade

so we have 2 options:

1) hope there will be a way to downgrade eventually

2) hope that one of the well known hackers figures out a new jailbreak for 5.1

we are officially in no mans land

djg21

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
You cannot revert a 4s to 5.0.1 at this point. I am in the same boat after something screwed up my jailbroken 4s and I has to restore and update through iTunes. There apparently is a process for "downgrading" in the works, as well as a jailbreak, but don't expect anything soon. In the meantime, I'm finding iOS faster and little smoother than 5.0.1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
i see that you are using a 4S? if so, there currently is no way to downgrade

so we have 2 options:

1) hope there will be a way to downgrade eventually

2) hope that one of the well known hackers figures out a new jailbreak for 5.1

we are officially in no mans land

Hey, BLiNK, are you stock now? I thought you went back to JB a while ago....

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Been looking at too many screenshots of jailbroken phones and its making me pull the trigger on it..

That's my problem too. All these screenies that people have been posting. I made the dumb mistake of upgrading to 5.1 and now I'm screwed indefinitely until a JB is out for 5.1 or the downgrade hack is figured out.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Hey, BLiNK, are you stock now? I thought you went back to JB a while ago.....

actually, i just picked a 4S last night and jailbroke right away. like i mentioned in another post, i am liking how the 4S behaves jailbroken. it seemed like my setup, with the 4, was a little laggy at times but just accepted it that way. now, i cannot even tell a difference with the 4S :)

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
now the trick is hopefully there will be a way to go back to 5.0.1 and or a new JB for 5.1 (A5) soon

i fear if i ever have to restore :(

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
actually, i just picked a 4S last night and jailbroke right away. like i mentioned in another post, i am liking how the 4S behaves jailbroken. it seemed like my setup, with the 4, was a little laggy at times but just accepted it that way. now, i cannot even tell a difference with the 4S :)

Congrats, welcome to the 4S club. Hope you enjoy it. :)

now the trick is hopefully there will be a way to go back to 5.0.1 and or a new JB for 5.1 (A5) soon

i fear if i ever have to restore :(

Don't even mention the word restore as that is a word that is very scary to me know since I never saved my Blobs for 5.0.1. :( As it stands now, I lost the ability to text message on my 4S, so I can't send or receive texts at the moment on my unlocked 4S. I have a feeling it had something to do with a Cydia app but I am not sure. AT&T told me to restore my 4S and see if that works, but I have no interest in giving up a stable JB for texting at the moment.

Reactions: BLiNK

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
oh man, if i lost the ability to text it would be 5.1 city for me. i know that i will need to restore at one point and that is ok with me since i enjoy being stock as well. this is precisely why i will never put myself in a position where i NEED to be jailbroken. only for a hobby

jailbreaking has always been a slippery slope but it feels like even more for the last 6-12 months

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
oh man, if i lost the ability to text it would be 5.1 city for me. i know that i will need to restore at one point and that is ok with me since i enjoy being stock as well. this is precisely why i will never put myself in a position where i NEED to be jailbroken. only for a hobby

jailbreaking has always been a slippery slope but it feels like even more for the last 6-12 months

I hear ya, and I might still undue my jailbreak, but not just yet.

Sent from my iPad 4G using Tapatalk HD.

Last edited:

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
OMG, too funny, Laura. I almost spit my coffee out when I saw these pics. :D

Sent from my iPad 4G using Tapatalk HD.

I wouldn't even know where to begin to have custom icons like that but it makes me laugh. I love the idea though. Plus if my phone ever got jacked, it'd be really hard for someone else to explain why they were using my iPhone with my pictures for the icons.

Of course, 5.1 needs to have a jailbreak first...

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Been thinking about jailbreaking my 4s lately but I have a couple questions first.

1. I know I can return it to factory settings if I need to take it in for sevrice but can Apple tell if it has been jailbroken? My friend told me that they can cause it'll mess up the processor.

2. I had seen a video about jailbreaking and said something about needing wifi to get into absinthe to get cydia once the jailbreak has completed. Is that true or is it possible over 3G?

3. Would like some pros & cons about this also.

If one wants an Android,with all that goes with it, one should buy an Android. A jailbroken iPhone will have all of the disadvantages of an Android, with none of the advantages. iPhones are intended to be real computers for real people, not toys for geeks. Toys for geeks are called Andoids.