Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    364 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Hack/Tweak to "Mark Message Unread"?

I'm tired of unlocking my iPhone, and it auto-opening my new messages, which causes them to be marked as read, and then forgetting I had "read" the message.

Is there a tweak that will allow me to make the iMessage as "unread" again? I find myself making myself reminders with siri just so that I don't forget to text the person back after I finish what I am doing...

Thanks in advance!
    iPhone Newbie

iOS Version
    5.0.1 JB

Bitesms has the option in its quickreply (QR) to mark as unread. It sounds like you would benefit from utilizing those types of features from the lockscreen, without having to launch into the app itself after unlocking.
    Chris
    @shystechris
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    5,023 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Messages+ also lets you decide if using the unlock slider does anything...but you shouldn't need anything, really. Here is standard iOS behavior when a message arrives while the phone is locked:

-use notification icon in popup for Slide to Reply, message opens and is marked read.
    -use large slider at bottom for Slide to Reply, message opens and is marked read.
    - do nothing and let phone lock again or press sleep button: the next time you wake the phone the slider will once again say Slide to Unlock; unlocking will neither open your message nor mark it read. If you have badges enabled the Messages icon will be badged.

In other words, messages are only opened and marked read when you use the Slide to REPLY option—which rightly assumes you are unlocking to deal with the message.

Like I said, you can turn that off with Messages+, but to me it sounds like your phone is working as designed.
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    364 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Massie View Post
    In other words, messages are only opened and marked read when you use the Slide to REPLY option—which rightly assumes you are unlocking to deal with the message.

Like I said, you can turn that off with Messages+, but to me it sounds like your phone is working as designed.
    But I am not sliding the notification to reply. I am only sliding the large default slider at the bottom of the screen, which logically should avoid the new message and wake up to the home screen. Except it doesn't...

I dont know why, but a lot of the time my device will open the new message when I unlock from the bottom. But the message isn't as important as what I had unlocked with the intention of doing so I forget about it.

And I have tested this on other iPhones as well.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    5,023 Global Posts
    iOS Version

But if you look at that slider when a message arrives, you'll see that it changes to Slide to Reply. In that case both the notification slider AND the large slider will open the message. After the screen goes dark it returns to Slide to Unlock. Try it.

The situation you describe is the second one I described in my last post: use large slider with Slide to Reply=open message.
    Last edited by Massie; 02-02-2012 at 04:08 PM.
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    364 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Oh I get it. Seems a little overkill, and I still think the bottom slider's function should always open to where you were previously though..
    Everyone I ask says they dont understand either.. Apparently we can't read :P

Maybe there is a tweak for that function?
  7. Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    364 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I would still like a mark unread feature tweak.. Maybe slide left on a message in the app opens the delete option and slide right opens unread..

I would gladly pay a buck or two not to forget to reply to the girlfriend or parents again
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    5,023 Global Posts
    iOS Version

You should check out Ipsum and Lorem...two tweaks that let you dismiss notifications from the lockscreen without erasing the icon badge. So with Ipsum if a notification comes in you just do a quick swipe right/swipe left and the notification is gone but you'll still get it in your Notification Center as unread and as an icon badge if you want. Lorem does the same thing but only for notifications in the drop down Notification Center. You still couldn't just swipe the unlock bar (and for the record I agree that that bar shouldn't open the message) but it's a start:

I think what you'd really like, though is Keep Text New...but I'm not sure if it works on iOS 5, and it only works with the default messages app if that's a concern. Hope that helps!

Last edited by Massie; 02-02-2012 at 09:42 PM.
  9. Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    364 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Yes I love Lorem and Ipsum! Although Ipsum has problems with Copic (it makes the phone freeze and reboot)

But that is a smart practice, I will used Lorem to dismiss the text then unlock the screen.

And I totally wish that app was compatible though.. Just tried it but no dice.