Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By koolhand79
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    176 Global Posts

Default best tethering/hotspot app?

What is everyones opinion on the best tethering app out there right now? I found quite a few, but have yet to try any out... I just need something which would allow me to use the phones data through my laptop.
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    372 Global Posts

MyWi 5.0 ftw
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,589 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 182

Quote Originally Posted by pilotnh View Post
    MyWi 5.0 ftw
    +1 .. 2 years and going

AND i have yet to receive any scare tactic letter/message from at&t
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    372 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BLiNK View Post
    +1 .. 2 years and going

AND i have yet to receive any scare tactic letter/message from at&t
    Ditto. And as long as you don't "overdo" it, you probably won't.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Haven't tried MiWi yet, but probably will. PDANet was the last thing I installed before my phone started crashing every time I closed an app. Ended up having to restore and re-jailbreak.
    Verizon iPhone 4S white 32gb
    Verizon iPad black 64gb + 4g
    16gb white WiFi iPad 2
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    176 Global Posts

I think I will give MyWi 5 a try then. I saw it in Cydia, but would rather go off suggestions plus its kind of tough to find things in Cydia. The only time I will need it is when traveling, but I will definitely need it when the time comes.

Thanks for the suggestions!
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    164 Global Posts

Default Mywi

where can i get it. Is there a free copy
    iMore Elite

iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by danncas View Post
    Cydia.

Stealing is wrong

Plus intelliborn has thier $h!+ on lockdown right now
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,589 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 182

Quote Originally Posted by danncas View Post
    just pay the $20, and get the support, like a normal human being well worth it, imo

for instance; i bought MyWi a couple of years ago. going by at&t's tethering rates i have saved a ton of $

one thing you, or anyone else, may want to consider though is if you are on a "Unlimited Plan" or not.. i am
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    ios5

Best app I've bought so far on cydia. I had palm pre mobile hot spot and it was slow. Mywi is fast, real fast, especially the usb tether.
    iPhone Beginner

iOS Version

I thought the point of jailbreaking was to expand the use of the iPhone without paying for it, but I find myself paying for badass apps. Haha.

May the Force be with you.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,589 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 182

that's the misconception of jailbreaking and the main reason why jailbreakers get a bad rap. yes, jailbreaking is the gateway to getting "stuff" for free but when you pay you also get the necessary support along the way

surely you like getting a paycheck when you work, don't you?

i have spent more in Cydia than i have in the App Store lol
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    761 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by BLiNK View Post
    that's the misconception of jailbreaking and the main reason why jailbreakers get a bad rap. yes, jailbreaking is the gateway to getting "stuff" for free but when you pay you also get the necessary support along the way

surely you like getting a paycheck when you work, don't you?

i have spent more in Cydia than i have in the App Store lol
    I'm in total agreement!

I don't understand why people will pay $200 plus for a phone and $70 or more for service then cry about a $2 app (or a one time $20 fee like MyWi which can be installed on 5 devices). If you can't afford the app then don't buy the phone or the app.

Even worse are the people stealing apps, the devs work hard on their apps. Support them so they can keep making us great apps.

P.S. To answer the OP question. I like MiWi 5.0. It's faster than PDANet in my experience. I like the ability to install on 5 devices and I'd rather pay through Cydia so when I upgrade to a new device I can easily reinstall later on.
    Last edited by j7469; 02-03-2012 at 11:00 PM.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    230 Global Posts

Does no one like TetherMe? I hardly ever tether, but to me TetherMe seems the best solution being that it is not a separate app, but just enables the stock hotspot option to work with a custom APN so it looks like its the phone itself. The need for a third party app seems silly when its already built in, no?
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    39 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by andy! View Post
    Does no one like TetherMe? I hardly ever tether, but to me TetherMe seems the best solution being that it is not a separate app, but just enables the stock hotspot option to work with a custom APN so it looks like its the phone itself. The need for a third party app seems silly when its already built in, no?
    Personally I use Tetherme as well. I prefer using the built in method.

Pretty interesting discussion about stealing apps, when this is a thread about stealing data. Lol.
    Sharma15 likes this.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,589 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 182

Quote Originally Posted by koolhand79 View Post
    Pretty interesting discussion about stealing apps, when this is a thread about stealing data. Lol.
    damn, haha. touché sir!
    iMore Elite

iOS Version

Personally I use Tetherme as well. I prefer using the built in method.

I'm terrified to use tether me because it looks so stock!!! Like boom, it's all there and setup, like i already agreed to pay $20 a month to use it... So you and other guy confirm it doesn't get you flagged or tagged by carrier???
    Also we're not stealing data, we're simply using the data we are paying for! How dare they charge us for data we pay for!!!!
    I have unlimited data... As far as I'm concerned, that means I have unlimited data!!! Incan put that data wherever the heck I want!!
    I remember having unlimited data when smart phones were just coming up, per android and note iPhone... I used vznavigator and got a ten dollar charge! I called and was like what the heck??? Why is there a charge? And was told because it uses data... I said I have unlimited data!!!! Then i was told its different data....
    To this day Verizon STILL charges $10 extra a month for vznavigator on all it's devices!
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    39 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 3cit View Post
    I'm terrified to use tether me because it looks so stock!!! Like boom, it's all there and setup, like i already agreed to pay $20 a month to use it... So you and other guy confirm it doesn't get you flagged or tagged by carrier???
    Also we're not stealing data, we're simply using the data we are paying for! How dare they charge us for data we pay for!!!!
    I have unlimited data... As far as I'm concerned, that means I have unlimited data!!! Incan put that data wherever the heck I want!!
    I remember having unlimited data when smart phones were just coming up, per android and note iPhone... I used vznavigator and got a ten dollar charge! I called and was like what the heck??? Why is there a charge? And was told because it uses data... I said I have unlimited data!!!! Then i was told its different data....
    To this day Verizon STILL charges $10 extra a month for vznavigator on all it's devices!
    No you're stealing data. Your contract stipulates that you get however much data you have paid for to use on your device and your device only. Any other use is considered stealing or a breach of contract. Now most of us have justified it by saying, "how can u charge me twice for data, it's all just bits." but it's their business and their business model like it or not. It may not be fair to us, but it's still stealing to use that data in any way than u agreed to use it when u signed up. Most of us have only paid for data to be used on the phone.

But yes I can confirm I have not been charged by my carrier(Sprint) for using tetherme. Catch me if you can!!!!!! Lol
    iMore Elite

iOS Version

No you're stealing data. Your contract stipulates that you get however much data you have paid for to use on your device and your device only. Any other use is considered stealing or a breach of contract. Now most of us have justified it by saying, "how can u charge me twice for data, it's all just bits." but it's their business and their business model like it or not. It may not be fair to us, but it's still stealing to use that data in any way than u agreed to use it when u signed up. Most of us have only paid for data to be used on the phone.

But yes I can confirm I have not been charged by my carrier(Sprint) for using tetherme. Catch me if you can!!!!!! Lol
    I can respect that answer...
    Thanks for the answer about tether me
    iPhone Nanite

Default Re: best tethering/hotspot app?

I simply use the Google Navigation as my GPS software. You got it for free when you down load the Google Maps. It is pretty handy, even in walking distance like in the LA Downtown area to look for a bank ATM, and it guided me, it really saved my time.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    143 Global Posts

Here's another nod to TetherMe. I've used it on my 4 and 4s for as long as I can remember. No glitches or hiccups, and Verizon has never sent a harassing text/email/phone call. Works like a charm for me
    iPhone Nanite

I'm also searching for a working hotspot app for my IPAD2, I've tried a few already but done seem to work. Firstly there was PDANet, no joy there, then there was Tetherme which does ot work over Wifi, I'm trying to connect an ATV to my 3G network to see if it wll work. Has anyone managed to get a wifi hotspot created on a IPAD2?

Global Posts
    2,660 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by SONY007 View Post
    I'm also searching for a working hotspot app for my IPAD2, I've tried a few already but done seem to work. Firstly there was PDANet, no joy there, then there was Tetherme which does ot work over Wifi, I'm trying to connect an ATV to my 3G network to see if it wll work. Has anyone managed to get a wifi hotspot created on a IPAD2?
    If you have a 3G iPad 2 you should have the native hotspot working if you have data on it.
    iPhone Nanite

iPad 2 3G doesn't have hotspot feature but if you know otherwise do share. So as anyone else managed to get an app for the iPad 2 to create a wifi hotspot?

Global Posts
    2,660 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by SONY007 View Post
    iPad 2 3G doesn't have hotspot feature but if you know otherwise do share. So as anyone else managed to get an app for the iPad 2 to create a wifi hotspot?
    Are you sure? I'm pretty sure it should be in the settings, probably under Network or Cellular. I thought all Cellular data iPads have the ability to create a hotspot.