How to untethered jailbreak iPhone 4S and iPad 2 on iOS 5.0.1 & iOS 5.0

derk

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
@p0sixninja just tweeted about fixing the database issues. Of course, right as the progress bar on my A5 jailbreak attempt was moving slowly.

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
We finally have a jailbreak for iPhone 4S and iPad 2! Untethered nonetheless.

In order to jailbreak your A5 device (iPhone 4S or iPad 2) you'll need the following:

- iPhone 4S running either iOS 5.0 or iOS 5.0.1
- iPad 2 running iOS 5.0 or 5.0.1 (note: wifi only devices HAVE to be on iOS 5.0.1)
- Greenpois0n Absinthe - iMore downloads page

First back up your device before ever performing a jailbreak or modification.

Next, connect your iPhone 4S or iPad 2 to your computer and launch GreenPois0n and click "Jailbreak"

This process takes quite a while longer than previous jailbreaks. Your device may look like it is restoring from a backup at one point - that's normal.

After GreenPois0n injects the files it needs to, your device will reboot.

From there, slide to unlock your device when GreenPois0n tells you to and find the Greenpois0n app icon on your home screen. Launch the Absinthe icon and it should do the rest. When your device reboots Cydia should take the place of the Greenpois0n icon.

You're done!

As a side note, the GreenPois0n servers are getting slammed at the moment so if you're getting connection errors when trying to launch and install Cydia in the last step, don't fret. Just try again later.

Update: To fix the database connection error just go to settings and turn VPN connection ON - it will give you an error, your device will reboot, and then you should be able to either load the Absinthe icon or Cydia will already be in its place.

Last edited:

derk

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
Usually, I wait for feedback from others as to how the jailbreak went before I take the plunge, but this one I am diving headfirst. I am on the "Sending intial data" step which is the 2nd step. Crossing fingers....

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
As a side note, comex and some other users are reporting their camera roll was gone - this was an issue in a previous jailbreak. It appears this issue is only coming up for users where the jailbreak is interrupted.

Mine disappeared and after a reboot came back. So if you're camera roll isn't showing up, reboot your device.

derk

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
Whew. That sure took a while. For those having issues, just wait it out. It will eventually finish. This just takes long with everyone hammering greenpois0n.com.

chronictacos

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
NEW to Jailbreaking

this is my first ever owned iphone and i took the plunge to try getting outside the wall of garden apple has restricted in its ios. are there anythings i need to be worried about? can i update my phones software in the near future when apple releases an official new software update? are there any negatives to jailbreaking will my battery decrease faster? i already have an iphone that barely gets me 6 hours through the day. so any input and advice would help this is my first ever iphone experience ive always been on android but never knew how to root. these instructions were simple so im hoping i can explore please give me feed back thanks much appreciated!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711