How to untethered jailbreak iPhone 4S and iPad 2 on iOS 5.0.1 & iOS 5.0

rahjahz

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm surprised no one else is posting, but here are MUCH BETTER AND MORE CLEAR instructions for fixing the problem from thebigboss.org:

Note: for those having problems, these steps worked for me on my ?stubborn? device:
1) After the JB fails to do anything, reboot the iphone
2) Close absinthe on your mac
3) Rerun absinthe and it should detect the device and say that it noticed a jailbreak attempt failed and say it has ?recovered?.
4) Reboot the device again, and close absinthe again
5) Rerun the jailbreak tool, it will rerun as it did in the first place.
6) After it?s done and says to tap the ?jailbreak icon? do not do that! Instead go to your device, load settings, and click the ?vpn? setting to ?on?. Wait. The device should pop up and error and then respring about 30 seconds after the error.
7) If the device never resprings in step 6, repeat the steps above again until it works.

I'm about to try them now...
Thanks!!! This solved the error issue. Worked 1st try. Thanks again!

iPasha

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
absinthe could not open the page because the server stopped responding...... thats the message i keep getting. Should i just keep trying or is there something I'm doing wrong

briankeith513

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I've tried it on 2 different Macs, and after 5-20 minutes, it just crashes. Doesn't get past "Beginning Jailbreak" I've rebooted several times, and I've erased my Ipad 2, same thing.

K9king78

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
I have a MAC and downloaded the jailbreak file. I open it and a green folder opens then the absinthe file appears. I open it and it crashes every time? Not sure if it's me or something wrong with the file. I have jailbroke many of phones before so not sure what's up?? Any help?

briankeith513

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I have a MAC and downloaded the jailbreak file. I open it and a green folder opens then the absinthe file appears. I open it and it crashes every time? Not sure if it's me or something wrong with the file. I have jailbroke many of phones before so not sure what's up?? Any help?

What it does for me is get stuck on "beginning jailbreak...."....then crashes at some point.

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
My question is more regarding the need to restore before re-jail breaking. Should I restore the iPad as a new iPad running 5.0.1 before jail breaking?

I don't think a restore is necessary unless you've had it jailbroken before. Sounds like you have. I've personally never had issues just updating and re-jailbreaking but I know some people do. I guess I'm saying that a restore isn't a bad idea.

It will rule out potential problems.

sector107

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I don't think a restore is necessary unless you've had it jailbroken before. Sounds like you have. I've personally never had issues just updating and re-jailbreaking but I know some people do. I guess I'm saying that a restore isn't a bad idea.

It will rule out potential problems.
Im new to jailbreaking, backing up, tech stuff. I currently have a stock iPhone 16GB 3GS, I'm almost certain or at least would feel better backing up my phone before I jailbreak, only because it's an older version. My question to you is what are the details in backing my phone up? Is it the same as syncing to iTunes? Like I said Im new to this stuff, hahaha.:D

Vanquish1

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
I have a verizon iphone 4S and I jailbroke it successfully but after like 30 minutes my network went out I have had no service showing for 8 hours+ straight!!! WTF is up?

Vanquish1

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
damn i feel like the dumbest noob on this site. I just figuered out how to fix it...

(1) Go in to Network Settings (2) Disable data roaming and voice roaming (3) Re-enable whatever settings you prefer
problem solved for me lol. hope this helps someone else out who has a brain fart.

Stevenojobs

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I have one concern, if we jailbreak and then restore to wipe everything and start a new device (so no restore from a back up) are we sure there is nothing that jailbreak has changed that we cant modify ? Like really deep files in the system ? I don't like to apply something and not knowing what exactly this thing do... Maybe this is something we should ask to the developers

CrucialTK

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Ive tried twice so far at two different times to jailbreak. After 15 minutes, its still hung up at the beginning of the jailbreak prompt. The directions indicate that Absinthe should be ticking along, but mine literally travels to maybe 9% and just parks there.

AT&T iPhone 4GS, 32 black (though not much concern for color when jailbreaking i imagine).

Anyone else having a similar problem? Is it because Greenpois0n is down?

dalvik

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
did anyone try to jb on windows with CLI Absinthe? I'm gonna do it in a few moments just wanyed to confirm...