Upgrading from 4.2.6 to 5.0.1 with JB...

KeWLMoNk#IM

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Currently I'm on GreenPois0n 4.2.6 but I'd like to upgrade to iOS 5.0.1 (the latest right?) ... I'm just not sure how to do this and JB it... can anyone help me out? Is there a way to do this without losing everything on my phone (apps, contacts, etc?) and if not, is there a way to back up any of this stuff? I'm pretty new to the iOS world, but familiar with the technical field overall - I just want to make sure I do this right so any assistance would be really appreciated..

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Yep, as long as you don't need to unlock all you need to do is sync/backup and then update in iTunes, then jb again with redsn0w. The only part that can be a little tedious is reloading your Cydia apps.

KeWLMoNk#IM

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
OK just one last thing ...first, upgrading iTunes is OK? It won't cause any difficulties later when I try to transfer apps/games back to my phone?

The apps/games I have on there now..do they or the saves back up in iTunes for transfer later or just my contacts?

From what I understand so far, i basically plug my phone in, back up, then do the normal update via iTunes - once that's done use redsn0w to JB, then I can transfer everything back ..?

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, as long as you're on an official carrier and don't need to unlock your phone.
1. Sync/backup in iTunes. Your purchased apps will transfer over.
2. Update iOS. (I usually download the ipsw first, then do a Shift/Restore, but whatever way you do it is fine.)
3. Here you can either jb with redsn0w first, or do your restore from backup. I usually restore first, I think, since iTunes will probably prompt you to do so once the iOS has been updated.
4. Once everything is synced back, close iTunes and run redsn0w.

Issues you may run into:
-If you get errors in iTunes, it's almost always due to your hosts file being changed in the past due to some other jailbreak activity. If you've ever used Tiny Umbrella, be sure to open that before doing anything else, click Advanced, and uncheck the "Set hosts to Cydia on exit" box. Doing this will allow your iPhone to be verified by Apple when you update--you want this when you're using the current firmware.

-When you restore your backup, none of your Cydia apps will be there. You'll need to reinstall those after you jb and reinstall Cydia. This is normal.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2